Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Englishtown event disapointing

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 04:59 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Englishtown event disapointing

Went to Englishtown for the Corvette Express event which I attend every year for the Show and Go and the Xcross. When we got there we were told the Xcross event was cancelled that morning by the track......had alot of my buddies come from all over to run the event, not to mention the prep work we all do, not to mention the $9. a gallon for race gas...boo to the track for not posting something on the web a few days before the event, met my buddies at the gate and everyone was $%^&$%^ and turned around and left. Corvette Express does a great job every year with this event, too bad the track couldn't get their act together
Old 07-31-2011, 06:51 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by 73jst4fun
Went to Englishtown for the Corvette Express event which I attend every year for the Show and Go and the Xcross. When we got there we were told the Xcross event was cancelled that morning by the track......had alot of my buddies come from all over to run the event, not to mention the prep work we all do, not to mention the $9. a gallon for race gas...boo to the track for not posting something on the web a few days before the event, met my buddies at the gate and everyone was $%^&$%^ and turned around and left. Corvette Express does a great job every year with this event, too bad the track couldn't get their act together
Wow, that does suck. The last time I went, I bought a ticket to compete in the drag races and the autox. I did very well, and ended up as the runner up. I didn't realize that while I was drag racing, the auto x was going on and by the time I made it over there, the autox was over and closed. Most of the track staff had left, and only a hanful of folks were on staff. After I explained what had happened they let me take three laps, although it was without any instruction or timing, so I was clueless.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
Wow, that does suck. The last time I went, I bought a ticket to compete in the drag races and the autox. I did very well, and ended up as the runner up. I didn't realize that while I was drag racing, the auto x was going on and by the time I made it over there, the autox was over and closed. Most of the track staff had left, and only a hanful of folks were on staff. After I explained what had happened they let me take three laps, although it was without any instruction or timing, so I was clueless.
Hey George, yeah it sucked, Gordon came from Marlton and I just found out they cancelled the xcross when he arrived at the gate as did others....folks were upset for sure....good to hear from you
Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

ETown did put out a post on Facebook Friday night, but definatly should have put something on the websight!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by 73jst4fun
Hey George, yeah it sucked, Gordon came from Marlton and I just found out they cancelled the xcross when he arrived at the gate as did others....folks were upset for sure....good to hear from you
to you. Looking for a new power plant. engine cracked a cylinder and smashed a spark plug electrode during the 3rd session of the first event at the end of May.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I don't think Corvette Express knew the autocross was cancelled until Saturday morning, and apparently, neither did the ticket booth. I was told by a couple different friends I have in Express, that the track had been charging people to enter the non-existent autocross!

The way I understand it, the track never ordered dash plaques, but didn't bother telling the club about that either!

People I talked to put the blame on the new track management. It's a shame because the club does a great job of organizing the day and promoting the event (except for printing the flyers and listing it in their paper and website, the track does not promote the event), but Express is really only there to provide personal; it's still a Raceway Park run event.

It's a shame, but the event has really declined the last couple years. The date has always put the show at the hottest time of year. Even 20 years ago, people complained about racing their cars and/or standing all day on that blacktop, on a 90+ degree day. When the event was sponsored by Vette Magazine, the magazine did a good job of promoting. Now that's gone, and the $15 a head that the track charges to get in, scares a lot of potential spectators away too.

I wonder how much longer Corvette Express will be involved in the Show & Go. All the problems, though not their fault, make them look bad. Every year I talk to more and more of their members, who are disappointed by the event.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I just left when I arrived and they told me the autoX was cancelled. They could not give me a good reason either. I'll think long and hard about going next year even if there is an event. The guy in the ticket booth thought this may be the last year for the event.

I also caught a spinning license plate on the ride home that dinged my fresh paint under the front bumper. Just the capper I needed to an already bad day. Fortunatly it is not to bad but it is there, hazards of driving the NJTP.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I worked the show, I am an corvette express member.
I was told that the track notified CE the day before about the lack of "key autocross personnel". Not much time to notify anyone. I found out Sat. morning. I told the club show coordinator that there were people on the forum looking forward the the autox.
I don't want to say to much about the way things are going but yes some of us are interested in a new show location and time of year.

The track is always changing their mind. Crying the blues about bad time. Possibly one more nail, sad
Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe its time to move the show & Go to Atco, even though that would be a trek for me......
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RichS
ETown did put out a post on Facebook Friday night, but definatly should have put something on the websight!
Professional organizations relying on facebook or twitter for their PR and announcements? That is sad.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:08 PM
diddiyo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Professional organizations relying on facebook or twitter for their PR and announcements? That is sad.
honestly, that is probably one of the easiest and fastest ways of spreading the word these days. even though it would of course make sense to also post it on their website...

Last edited by diddiyo; 08-01-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by diddiyo
honestly, that is probably one of the easiest and fastest ways of spreading the word these days. even though it would of course make sense to also post it on their website...
For all the people who use facebook, a greater number do not. Its all a silly craze until the next social media site comes along. Remember when myspace was all the rage?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
For all the people who use facebook, a greater number do not. Its all a silly craze until the next social media site comes along. Remember when myspace was all the rage?
but I'm sure most of us that attended the show were busy the night before preping our cars and not checking Facebook or Twitter for some post, and if your not signed up for the page you would not see any post anyway...It's too bad I know alot of the club members, all good folks and they work hard...I hate to say it but I hope they get their(the track) act together....hate to see a good event go down...
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
LUDS 96
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Still was a good time

I've been going to this show since 1999. Attendance was a little down but it's down at everyshow! with Gas being close to $4.00 a gallon. The heat is tough but we had Great weather. It was 85 all afternoon could have been worse. Corvette Express does a Great Job. I drove down from New Haven,CT. The Attendance at Club Corvette of Ct Show was down about thirty cars this year. If they move the show i'll still come down. I Love running my car on the track. The freedom to do burn outs and run it hard can't be beat.

http://www.clubcorvettect.com/
Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
Maybe its time to move the show & Go to Atco, even though that would be a trek for me......
...or NJMP!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by parkerracing
...or NJMP!
no 1/4 mile at NJMP
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0
no 1/4 mile at NJMP
Two road courses and a kart track AND you don't have to pull over and wait after 9-15 sec. Weren't they supposed to build a 1/4 mi. and oval across the street? Bad economy?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Two road courses and a kart track AND you don't have to pull over and wait after 9-15 sec. Weren't they supposed to build a 1/4 mi. and oval across the street? Bad economy?
A lot of what they were going to do down there was put on hold. They filed for bankruptcy protection this year.

Get notified of new replies

To Englishtown event disapointing

Quick Reply: Englishtown event disapointing