Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Speed trap locations throughout the USA

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default Speed trap locations throughout the USA

I'm not condoning speeding on our nations highways, but it's a good thing to know where the downright speed traps are as there are some (Virginia is highly notorious for this) that are no more than revenue generators as the one that we experienced on route 95 through Greensville County,Va this past week while driving to Florida. You all know the type that I'm describing here..... Major highway, traveling down a steep grade, with a reduction in speed limit from 70mph to 45mph at the bottom of the hill with 3 or more police cruisers poised to pounce on ANYTHING over the limit.

Well there is a tool for that! Your smart phone has an app (Android's is called Trapster.com) with another great list on the web called Speedtrap.org. The Android's Trapster is interactive, and shows your car traveling on down the road (like your GPS Nav does) and is in real time showing all traps and whether they are "active" shown in red or not (shown in green). While the internets Speedtrap.org is a list of the very same traps updated by folks reporting directly to the site (we ran with both systems engaged, as Virginia is a state that radar detectors are illegal, so don't leave the detector mounted while driving in Virginia) I was also impressed with how accurate the DNX9960's speed display was along with the posted speed limit also shown on the screen as well. NOTE; the speed shown on the GPS was higher than both the analog Vette's speedometer and the head up display! It's not a matter of speeding, but more just good sense to know where the many unscrupulous, downright revenue stops are on our nations highways. Again I'm not condoning cruising over the posted limit, but more showing good sense when traveling through these cherry stops that DO exist.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ol'55
I'm not condoning speeding on our nations highways, but it's a good thing to know where the downright speed traps are as there are some (Virginia is highly notorious for this) that are no more than revenue generators as the one that we experienced on route 95 through Greensville County,Va this past week while driving to Florida. You all know the type that I'm describing here..... Major highway, traveling down a steep grade, with a reduction in speed limit from 70mph to 45mph at the bottom of the hill with 3 or more police cruisers poised to pounce on ANYTHING over the limit.

Well there is a tool for that! Your smart phone has an app (Android's is called Trapster.com) with another great list on the web called Speedtrap.org. The Android's Trapster is interactive, and shows your car traveling on down the road (like your GPS Nav does) and is in real time showing all traps and whether they are "active" shown in red or not (shown in green). While the internets Speedtrap.org is a list of the very same traps updated by folks reporting directly to the site (we ran with both systems engaged, as Virginia is a state that radar detectors are illegal, so don't leave the detector mounted while driving in Virginia) I was also impressed with how accurate the DNX9960's speed display was along with the posted speed limit also shown on the screen as well. NOTE; the speed shown on the GPS was higher than both the analog Vette's speedometer and the head up display! It's not a matter of speeding, but more just good sense to know where the many unscrupulous, downright revenue stops are on our nations highways. Again I'm not condoning cruising over the posted limit, but more showing good sense when traveling through these cherry stops that DO exist.
Ed, I have Trapster but haven't used it in a while due to all the false alarms. Last I used it you practically got a warning every mile or two.

There is no such thing as a speed trap that isn't strictly for revenue generating.

When I lived in VA I was told that troopers have RD detectors, but there were several times that I forgot to turn mine off when I crossed the border and passed a tropper without issue, so they must not all have them.

As I remember reading once: "If the govt has the right to monitor you, you have the right to know when you are being monitored."

Last edited by cjlaw73; 02-11-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I would agree with you on the false reports that we found in Delaware, but it was dead on in the Maryland, Virginia, both Carolinas, and Georgia. Next to Virginia I would say the next worse state for this practice was North Carolina within the first 15 miles from the South Carolina boarder. False alarms? Better safe than expensive.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:25 PM
wayne_69_427
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed,

Your right about VA. I had a friend who got caught speeding, (something like 92 or 94 in a 70 zone) . They gave him the ticket and he when on his way. When he got back to PA he called to find out what the fine was. They told him there was no fine it is jail time. He got a lawyer went back to VA for the hearing and they did not want to hear anything. He got 10 days in jail starting right then.
VA does not play games.

Wayne
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Yes, I have used it but it is dependent upon people in front of you reporting the speed traps. It is also very hard on your battery life. I used it on my way out to Ohio when I go for work.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 PM
soondg
Instructor

I just got a speeding ticket the other day on I95 in Pa. between the Street road and Bristol exits. I was passing two slow moving rigs that where in the center lane, the rear one has his flashers on. When I pulled out and went past them the trooper pulled out in front of me then got behind me when I was in the right hand lane getting ready to get off the exit. When I told him I was passing he said it wasn't allowed on I95 ?. I go to court Monday morning to fight it. All the clerk kept saying when I went to ask for a court date was make sure I bring enough money to pay the fine. When the paper confirming the date came in the mail it also had a note attached to it reminding me to bring enough cash. This is the first speeding ticket I've received in 35 years, my kids keep ribbing me about it.

ED, I have an HTC smart phone with the Android, how do I find the trapster on it?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by soondg
I just got a speeding ticket the other day on I95 in Pa. between the Street road and Bristol exits. I was passing two slow moving rigs that where in the center lane, the rear one has his flashers on. When I pulled out and went past them the trooper pulled out in front of me then got behind me when I was in the right hand lane getting ready to get off the exit. When I told him I was passing he said it wasn't allowed on I95 ?. I go to court Monday morning to fight it. All the clerk kept saying when I went to ask for a court date was make sure I bring enough money to pay the fine. When the paper confirming the date came in the mail it also had a note attached to it reminding me to bring enough cash. This is the first speeding ticket I've received in 35 years, my kids keep ribbing me about it.

ED, I have an HTC smart phone with the Android, how do I find the trapster on it?
Trapster is an "APP" but it's the Wife's phone (my phone isn't very smart ) I'll get Ruthann to post your needed info. Sorry to read of your ticket Joe. Did you pass the trucks on the right? I would have thought the officer should have given the truck drivers tickets for failure to keep right, especially if they were going slower than 40mph and in the center lane (I'm assuming that they were if traveling along with the hazards flashing), but in the center lane? There is a lot of unfairness out there isn't there. I'd consult with a traffic lawyer if I were you.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:43 PM
soondg
Instructor

Thanks for the response on the apps ED.

I passed on the left. When the trooper handed me the paper he asked if I knew what speed they where driving. I told him no, just that all the other traffic was going around them. He said no one ever knows the speed. Being in a Vette behind two trucks, no forward visibility and everyone up your butt is not a nice place to be

I'm going to the hearing by myself, the fine isn't insanely expensive, but, the points are. If I lose there I'll file an appeal. Before I go I'm going to read up on Pa. laws.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I passed on the left. When the trooper handed me the paper he asked if I knew what speed they where driving. I told him no, just that all the other traffic was going around them. He said no one ever knows the speed. Being in a Vette behind two trucks, no forward visibility and everyone up your butt is not a nice place to be

I'm going to the hearing by myself, the fine isn't insanely expensive, but, the points are. If I lose there I'll file an appeal. Before I go I'm going to read up on Pa. laws.
As much as I respect law enforcement officers, and never go over the posted speed limit myself, I'm glad to see people sticking up for themselves in a court of law instead of just lying down and paying the "fines"
Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 AM
BUSMAN C6
Pro

When you get to court take the line that offers the deal. It will cost you Im guessing around $400 after court cost no points. NJ offers this for point tickets. Good luck and if you never been to traffic court pop in one day prior to your date.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:17 PM
soondg
Instructor

Thanks for the support guys.

I also respect law enforcement, but, occasionally, they miss it. I believe he stopped me because I was in a Vette. A couple of other cars blew by him and I, he was pulling out of his spot in front of me and had to stop for them to go by, then he pulled up behind me when I was in the right lane. Since he couldn't grab them I was the easy target. But, it's all up to the judge, regardless of what I think.

P.S. Thanks Ed, the app downloaded easily. I know some of the spots near me and it was right on.

Last edited by soondg; 02-12-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:03 PM
zekemug
Instructor

Ed, sorry to here about your ticket. My daughters both attended college in SC. The wife got two tickets in Virginia. I'll have to give this app a try next time.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zekemug
Ed, sorry to here about your ticket. My daughters both attended college in SC. The wife got two tickets in Virginia. I'll have to give this app a try next time.
It's all part of the learning process Doc. My "experience" wasn't that bad (I have a free lawyer.) For the price of the court costs ($61) and a reduction to an equipment citation (Dome light bulb out $112 ) I escape any points, chain gang time,surcharges, or exorbitant fines. I don't particularly like lawyers, but I believe for traffic pleas they're worth their weight in detail spray.

Ps. 47 in a 45 isn't a felony (even in Virginia!)

Last edited by Ol'55; 02-12-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:13 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ed, that is one reason that I "never" speed!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by moserbe
Ed, that is one reason that I "never" speed!
Right! The Canadian Mounties don't have to pick on you innocent auto enthusiasts in The Great North Country.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 PM
NYCHASM
Race Director

Location: Probably talking that police officer out of giving you a summons! ========== The Beautiful Lower Hudson Valley, NY
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by wayne_69_427
Ed,

Your right about VA. I had a friend who got caught speeding, (something like 92 or 94 in a 70 zone) . They gave him the ticket and he when on his way. When he got back to PA he called to find out what the fine was. They told him there was no fine it is jail time. He got a lawyer went back to VA for the hearing and they did not want to hear anything. He got 10 days in jail starting right then.
VA does not play games.

Wayne
Something's wrong here. If you are nabbed for a traffic offense that is a jailable offense, why would they issue a traffic summons and send him on his way? He'd be ARRESTED on the spot. I'm not familiar with Virginia traffic law but in some states, 20 over, in conjunction with another offense, may be considered aggravated reckless driving and off to jail you go. No ticket ... handcuffs!

Last edited by NYCHASM; 02-13-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NYCHASM
Something's wrong here. If you are nabbed for a traffic offense that is a jailable offense, why would they issue a traffic summons and send him on his way? He'd be ARRESTED on the spot. I'm not familiar with Virginia traffic law but in some states, 20 over, in conjunction with another offense, may be considered aggravated reckless driving and off to jail you go. No ticket ... handcuffs!
RA and I thought the same Chas, but maybe an extensive driving record hadn't been realized at the stop, but became issue at the hearing?

Get notified of new replies

To Speed trap locations throughout the USA

Old 02-13-2011, 09:18 AM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

For Android devices, goo to the Android Market and seach for Trapster. All apps for smartphones are located in the Android Market. If you haven't ever used the market, then you're only getting 10% use out of your phone. Loads of free apps, and some really good paid ones. Just find the icon on your phone, or hit the app drawer and scroll until you find it.

Apple devices similarly go to the Apple store.

I use Trapster myself, but as Charlie mentioned, it does give false alarms alot because it relies on both historical and real time traffic alerts. However, using that in conjuction with a good radar detector can make all the diference in the world.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 AM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCHASM
If you are nabbed for an out of state jailable offence (I once was ) you do have some options, it is not immediate handcuffs.

First, you can post cash bond directly to the police officer. Seems a little weird to hand cash directly to an officer, but that is allowed. You'll be right on your way.

Second is if you have a AAA card, all you have to do is show that card and they automatically post your bond.

Now, that happened to me over twenty years ago in North Carolina (111mph in a 65 zone, whoopsie). I'm sure the laws have changed somewhat, varies widely by state, the fines have skyrocketed and who knows what. But from my recent readings on the subject, the above still seems true for many jurisdictions.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
As much as I respect law enforcement officers, and never go over the posted speed limit myself, I'm glad to see people sticking up for themselves in a court of law instead of just lying down and paying the "fines"
Originally Posted by BUSMAN C6
When you get to court take the line that offers the deal. It will cost you Im guessing around $400 after court cost no points. NJ offers this for point tickets. Good luck and if you never been to traffic court pop in one day prior to your date.

As George says, don't just lay down. Research the exact wording of the offense in the list of statutes. A local cop in NJ gave my son and about 10 of his friends parking tickets where they parked near high school, off campus. I researched the statute, and found that the town was in violation of it's own statute. The town attorney tried to get me to pay court costs. I told him to F off. The judge never even heard the case. He just said, these tickets will be dropped. Only one other parent showed up with me. All the other kids paid the extortion money without question.

Every town has a deal to "negotiate" offenses. When I was at court, I saw that the prosecutor had little forms already made up. He told people, you can get 2 points instead of 4, just pay $250,sign here, OK? Or, you can get 0 points instead of 2, just pay $250, sign here, OK? Same deal for everyone, with a lawyer there with you or not. Why pay $500 to a lawyer to have him stand there to hold your hand? Cops will tell you that most money goes to the state, and that it's a "safety" issue for alot of these tickets. That's BS. I sat in court, and saw all the cases. The judge made me wait until the very end to say he dropped the ticket. Anyway, most of the tickets were for " no seatbelts", " 39 in a 35 zone", "improper parking", etc. You can see the pattern. All money making BS for the towns. BTW, it was standing room only in the court. My, my. So many "criminals" in our towns. Hard to believe.

Thanks for the heads up on that app Ed. I'm going to put it in my phone right now.

Quick Reply: Speed trap locations throughout the USA