Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

no front plate ticket question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Flexinator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no front plate ticket question

couldn't find answer in search function.....

I live in NY, can a NJ cop give me a ticket for not having a front plate when I am driving through there? or any other state that I don't live in for that matter?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:14 PM
TUF-NUF
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: kent ct - "if i'm not in the vette, i damn well better be on the yacht."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

good question.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 PM
OLD-GUY
Melting Slicks

Location: *MIDDLETOWN NY* "I thought I was an OLD-GUY, till I met Charlie"

I don't believe they can. Plate laws are state specific and there for only that states law enforcement officers can ticket you and only in that state.
All that said, you are dilling with NJ police so anything is passable, they just wright tickets and if your an easy target you will pay without any questions . I would tack it up with the judge if it doesn't cost you a days pay. If you loose so what it's not a moving violation.
GOOD LUCK
Old 10-14-2010, 07:00 PM
ninjavette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flexinator

I live in NY, can a NJ cop give me a ticket for not having a front plate when I am driving through there? or any other state that I don't live in for that matter?
No. NJ LEOs can't enforce another state's traffic laws and vice versa. Even though it's illegal in both states, your car is registered in NY so only NY would be able to issue a summons.

Now if the officer feels like giving you a ticket, you can't not accept it. However you will be able to fight it and win. The officer would issue it hoping you wont bother coming all the way back to fight it. It very rarely happens but I have heard of it. (urban legend?)

I've been driving my C6 and my previous car without a front plate for a combined 7+ years. I have been stopped twice for it with my previous car and only got a ticket once. I haven't been stopped at all for no front plate with the C6. (4+ years) Honestly Corvettes don't get hassled that much for no plate in NJ, from what I have seen. YMMV.

Drive thru with confidence....and patience.

Last edited by ninjavette; 10-14-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:41 PM
vraritan1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Flexinator

If you live in one of the thirty-two states where you are required to have two plates displayed, then you will need to display the plate securely on the vehicle front as well as in the back, not on the dashboard. The only exceptions are generally antique or special interest cars, so a car not designed for a front plate could well fall under the exception rule. To find out if your car qualifies for an exception, ask your local motor vehicle office.

If your car did not come with a front license plate holder, you can install one yourself. These are also called license plate brackets or mounts and come in kits with the appropriate screws. You may need a drill to install yours.

However, if you live in one of the eighteen states that don’t require two plates, then you don’t need to worry about displaying the front plate at all. Just make sure the back one is secured.

The states requiring two plates are:

1. Alaska
2. California
3. Colorado
4. Connecticut
5. District of Columbia
6. Hawaii
7. Idaho
8. Illinois
9. Iowa
10. Maine
11. Maryland
12. Massachusetts
13. Minnesota
14. Missouri
15. Montana
16. Nebraska
17. Nevada
18. New Hampshire
19. New Jersey
20. New York
21. North Dakota
22. Ohio
23. Oregon
24. Rhode Island
25. South Dakota
26. Texas
27. Utah
28. Vermont
29. Virginia
30. Washington
31. Wisconsin
32. Wyoming
Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

They are not allowed to ticket you for that, nor would NY be allowed to ticket a vehicle from NJ with no front plate. NY cannot enforce out-of-state regulations, and neither can NJ enforce rules from another state.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 PM
NYCHASM
Race Director

Location: Probably talking that police officer out of giving you a summons! ========== The Beautiful Lower Hudson Valley, NY
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by vraritan1
If you live in one of the thirty-two states where you are required to have two plates displayed, then you will need to display the plate securely on the vehicle front as well as in the back, not on the dashboard. The only exceptions are generally antique or special interest cars, so a car not designed for a front plate could well fall under the exception rule. To find out if your car qualifies for an exception, ask your local motor vehicle office.

If your car did not come with a front license plate holder, you can install one yourself. These are also called license plate brackets or mounts and come in kits with the appropriate screws. You may need a drill to install yours.

However, if you live in one of the eighteen states that don’t require two plates, then you don’t need to worry about displaying the front plate at all. Just make sure the back one is secured.

The states requiring two plates are:

1. Alaska
2. California
3. Colorado
4. Connecticut
5. District of Columbia
6. Hawaii
7. Idaho
8. Illinois
9. Iowa
10. Maine
11. Maryland
12. Massachusetts
13. Minnesota
14. Missouri
15. Montana
16. Nebraska
17. Nevada
18. New Hampshire
19. New Jersey
20. New York
21. North Dakota
22. Ohio
23. Oregon
24. Rhode Island
25. South Dakota
26. Texas
27. Utah
28. Vermont
29. Virginia
30. Washington
31. Wisconsin
32. Wyoming
That's all good info but doesn't answer the question. I believe nijavette is correct. A sworn officer of state X cannot legally enforce the traffic laws of state Y. That's why there are no uniform traffic rules and regulations that carry from state to state. To take it one step further, state X may charge you with a felony for driving xx MPH over the posted limit. If state Y has no such restriction, and you ARE driving xx over the posted limit, you certainly can't be charged for violation of a law of state X.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I agree that one state can't enforce the home registrations laws, but what about tint laws? NJ is a real stickler on that yet cars from the Sun belt states (and say Florida tags) allow darker tint than NJ does. Does NJ LEOs have any jurisdiction on Florida cars with dark tint while they are in the state of New Jersey?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:31 PM
NYCHASM
Race Director

Location: Probably talking that police officer out of giving you a summons! ========== The Beautiful Lower Hudson Valley, NY
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Ol'55
I agree that one state can't enforce the home registrations laws, but what about tint laws? NJ is a real stickler on that yet cars from the Sun belt states (and say Florida tags) allow darker tint than NJ does. Does NJ LEOs have any jurisdiction on Florida cars with dark tint while they are in the state of New Jersey?
Only if the tint exceeds NJ limits. Tint laws are pretty much the same from state to state, however, the violating vehicle can be ticketed ONLY if the tint violates THAT states law. Generally speaking, SAFETY issues can be enforced on out of state vehicles if the offending vehicle violates NJ laws. You may be within the law to drive a car in Florida with a missing fender. If a missing fender violates NJ law, I believe your *** belongs to NJ.

Last edited by NYCHASM; 10-14-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Additional clarification
Old 10-14-2010, 10:33 PM
ninjavette
Racer

Originally Posted by Ol'55
That's more of a grey area. LEO's can't realistically expect someone to remove tint that's allowed in their registered state when traveling thru states where it is illegal. However, it is seen as a major safety issue with a lot of departments and I believe they can ticket you for it. The same goes with blacked out lights. I know what you're thinking, "How is the no plate thing any different?!" Your license plate is a required government issued piece of equipment. In states that only issue one plate, how can you be expected to have two when driving thru 2 plate states? Tint and blacked out lights are personalized modifications and therefore aren't given the same leniency in neighboring states. Now, whether or not you actually get stopped and ticketed is soley based on your driving, attitude, and the mood of the officer.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Okay........... I'll go back to being the law abiding citizen that I've always been (I don't have tint or front tags on anything, LOL)
Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The list of states requiring two plates above is not completely correct.
Mass only requires two plates for the new plate stlye, the old "green" plates, which are still legal, and are not being replaced unless they fail visual during the annual inspection, were only issued for the rear.

I'm a Mass driver, with the new plates, of which I only run a rear. I've never been stopped or hassled for one plate. I have heard that if you are ticketed for no front plate, and you fight it, that it is always thrown out because they're trying to enforce a law in a non-uniform manner. Again, no personal experience, maybe just another urban legend.

mk
Old 10-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

How it's handled varies from one jurisdiction to another. But, in short, yes. NJ can certainly cite you for no front plate if your car is registered in NY.

If the state that your car is registered in does not require a front plate, then it would be very cut-and-dry and you'd be able to have it dismissed.

However, NY requires a front plate, so you wouldn't be compliant with your own state's law. You have to look at how the law is worded. In this instance:

39:3-33. Markers; requirements concerning; display of fictitious or wrong numbers, etc.; punishment
39:3-33. The owner of an automobile which is driven on the public highways of this State shall display not less than 12 inches nor more than 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position, and in such a way as not to swing, an identification mark or marks to be furnished by the division; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that if only one mark is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that the rear identification mark may be displayed more than 48 inches from the ground on tank trucks, trailers and other commercial vehicles carrying inflammable liquids and on sanitation vehicles which are used to collect, transport and dispose of garbage, solid wastes and refuse. Motorcycles shall also display an identification mark or marks; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the motorcycle; and provided, further, that if only one mark is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the motorcycle.

The identification mark or marks shall contain the number of the registration certificate of the vehicle and shall be of such design and material as prescribed pursuant to section 2 of P.L.1989, c.202 (C.39:3-33.9). All identification marks shall be kept clear and distinct and free from grease, dust or other blurring matter, so as to be plainly visible at all times of the day and night.

No person shall drive a motor vehicle which has a license plate frame or identification marker holder that conceals or otherwise obscures any part of any marking imprinted upon the vehicle's registration plate or any part of any insert which the director, as hereinafter provided, issues to be inserted in and attached to that registration plate or marker.

The director is authorized and empowered to issue registration plate inserts, to be inserted in and attached to the registration plates or markers described herein. They may be issued in the place of new registration plates or markers; and inscribed thereon, in numerals, shall be the year in which registration of the vehicle has been granted.

No person shall drive a motor vehicle the owner of which has not complied with the provisions of this subtitle concerning the proper registration and identification thereof, nor drive a motor vehicle which displays a fictitious number, or a number other than that designated for the motor vehicle in its registration certificate. During the period of time between the application for motor vehicle registration and the receipt of registration plates from the division, no person shall affix a plate or marker for the purpose of advertisement in the position on a motor vehicle normally reserved for the display of the registration plates required by this section if the plate or marker is designed with a combination of letters, numbers, colors, or words to resemble the registration plates required by this section.

A person convicted of displaying a fictitious number, as prohibited herein, shall be subject to a fine not exceeding $500.00 or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 60 days.

A person violating any other provision of this section shall be subject to a fine not exceeding $100.00. In default of the payment thereof, there shall be imposed an imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 10 days. A person convicted of a second offense of the same violation may be fined in double the amount herein prescribed for the first offense and may, in default of the payment thereof, be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 20 days. These penalties shall not apply to the display of a fictitious number.

Amended 1943,c.173; 1952,c.46,s.2; 1968,c.363,s.1; 1973,c.164; 1981,c.133,s.1; 1983,c.428; 1989,c.132,s.1; 1989,c.202,s.1.
If you were to be issued a citation, it would not be a NJ officer citing you for violating a NY law, but rather for violating the NJ law above. So, yes, they certainly can issue you a citation for lacking a front plate. Notice that the law refers to how many plates you were issued. So if your state only issues you one plate, then you're only required to display it on the rear of the vehicle. If your state issued you two, you have to display them front and rear.

Otherwise, you could simply drive around in NJ with no license plates.

Last edited by Scissors; 10-15-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Flexinator
Instructor

Thanks for the input guys, I asked because I drIve mostly through NJ and live in NY. I had a M roadster for 2 years and a GTO for 3 and never got pulled over for not having it, so for now I am taking my chances.

Also, the corvette is one of those cars that look TERRIBLE with one!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Nightstalker Medic
Pro

This is what I use:

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...oducts_id=3922

Works pretty nice.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Scissors
How it's handled varies from one jurisdiction to another. But, in short, yes. NJ can certainly cite you for no front plate if your car is registered in NY.

If the state that your car is registered in does not require a front plate, then it would be very cut-and-dry and you'd be able to have it dismissed.

However, NY requires a front plate, so you wouldn't be compliant with your own state's law. You have to look at how the law is worded. In this instance:

If you were to be issued a citation, it would not be a NJ officer citing you for violating a NY law, but rather for violating the NJ law above. So, yes, they certainly can issue you a citation for lacking a front plate. Notice that the law refers to how many plates you were issued. So if your state only issues you one plate, then you're only required to display it on the rear of the vehicle. If your state issued you two, you have to display them front and rear.

Otherwise, you could simply drive around in NJ with no license plates.
I have to agree. The statue states "an automobile which is driven on the public highways of this State shall display" etc. Doesn't say a NJ automobile. Of course the officers would have to know which states require two plates and which do not. Now remember, this is how the NJ Statue is written. Others states may be more specific one way or the other.

The tint would be a loser. Cause you can carry a gun in FLA doesn't mean you can carry it in NJ. Same for the tint..... However I think you would really have to **** the LEO off about something or your attitude sucked for him to cite you once you explained the tint was legal in your state and you were just visiting or passing through. Not saying there aren't some jerk cops that wouldn't give a crap, just not likely...
Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

The Police Officer can write what he wants. You can try to plead your case in court when you answer the summons. You might get a Judge that buys your story that even though your state (NY) requires the front plate, and front plates are required in NJ, the Police Officer had no right to issue you the summons.
I don't have a crystal ball, but I think the Judge would find you guilty.
You might have a better shot with that argument in a state that doesn't require a front plate.
I remember years ago when working in the South Bronx when things got slow sometimes we used to break chops on the white junkies from NJ driving over to cop. If they had any missing registration items or anything else wrong with their NJ registered cars we used to write them. It was a long time ago, but from what I remember that included registrations, inspections, defaced or missing plates, unlicensed, suspended license, or anything else we saw. I never remember any of them being found not guilty in traffic court.

Get notified of new replies

To no front plate ticket question

Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I would think you have to obey the laws of the state you are driving in. Some states allow a driver to be 16 years old, but they could not legally drive in NJ.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 PM
C5C6Norm
Melting Slicks

Location: Lower, Slower Delaware, formerly from Mobtown, MD (Baltimore)

Waiting for a no front plate story from Dan the Man.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:03 PM
vetteracerx
Racer

I would play it safe and obey the traffic laws of the state that you are operating in. You could be issued a citation for not having the front plate. just like talking on the cell phone while driving. NYS posts that law everywhere. I doubt that you would actualy get the ticket, but its possible.

Quick Reply: no front plate ticket question