Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Toys 4 Tots questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
markviii
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toys 4 Tots questions

- Where is The Farley Plaza in relation to the GSP? East or West? How far off the GSP is it?

- How long does the show last once getting to the stadium parking?

- Is there Food or Vendors, or is it bring your own?

- Anybody meeting up at GSP exits Monmouth (Exit 100) or Forked River (Exit 76)? If so what time? I know about Cheesequake, but that's North of me.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but this will be my first time attending.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 10-05-2009, 05:06 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

1-Farley plaza is west of the GSP, Guessestimate, 10 miles.
2- Not a show, turn your gift/s over the US Marine Corp. Reps and get some free chow provided by Kerbeck. There are various drwaings for free stuff donated by different vendors.
3- Was answered by 2.
4-No official times fro other meeting spots on the GSP south of cheesquake. I live in Toms River, but I always travle north to meet everyone at Cheesquake, its a lot of fun, and driving my vette is the 2nd most fun thing to do. normally we leave Cheesquake around 9:45 or so, you can catch the caravan as it passes any of the exits/restops south of there, you can't miss it. If you want to ride north to mjeet everyone, I leave the Toms River area at 8:30, sometimes alone, sometimes with a few others.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:09 PM
jmt1669
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11

Dam you beat me George!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:13 AM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few more questions. Is this the event where they close a section of the road and you can go as fast as you like? If so, is there a tech inspection or helmets required for all on board? How are the cars separated? What if I want to do 150, is the guy doing 190 going to be weaving in and out of cars going slower on the same road at the same time? If this is the event I think it is I suspect the turnout is huge. I really don't want to wreck my car or kill myself because of someone else's stupidity.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:40 AM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Originally Posted by markviii
- Where is The Farley Plaza in relation to the GSP? East or West? How far off the GSP is it?

- How long does the show last once getting to the stadium parking?

- Is there Food or Vendors, or is it bring your own?

- Anybody meeting up at GSP exits Monmouth (Exit 100) or Forked River (Exit 76)? If so what time? I know about Cheesequake, but that's North of me.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but this will be my first time attending.

Thanks,
Ken
As George said, Farleys is about 10 miles West of the GSP, I'm leaving from Toms River about 9ish to meet up with my friends at Farleys around 10ish, there's usually several folks meeting at the Forked River service area by then...
Old 10-06-2009, 06:43 AM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Originally Posted by marc8090
I have a few more questions. Is this the event where they close a section of the road and you can go as fast as you like? If so, is there a tech inspection or helmets required for all on board? How are the cars separated? What if I want to do 150, is the guy doing 190 going to be weaving in and out of cars going slower on the same road at the same time? If this is the event I think it is I suspect the turnout is huge. I really don't want to wreck my car or kill myself because of someone else's stupidity.
It's not a race, and spirited driving is not encouraged, you just have you use your head when driving this event when following the pack....George chime in here...
Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I'll chime in on the spirited driving part. Hearing about the so called "Spirited Driving" 2 or 3 years ago has kept me away from this event....

I have visions of someone doing as mentioned above 150 to 190 down the AC Expressway and someone else doing 70-80 switching lanes in front of the guy coming at them at 150-190 but not realiozing or expecting the closing rate of that guy......

THAT will put an end to the Toys 4 Tots run.............. I hope it never happens......

At the track, we all know what were in for and all understand closing rates and expect the high speeds. You'll have many 1st timers on the Toys for Tots run that will be shocked when they are passed by another Corvette doing 2 ro 3 times the speed they are going...

Sorry if this sounds like your Dad speaking, but I'm an advocate of "Saving it for the Track" Even at the track we have drivers meetings before we ever take to the track to advise of things like this and how to hold your line and let the passing car go off line...

Have Fun guys and Be Safe............

Oh and the Farley Plaza is 13 miles west of AC Expressway exit 7 (Garden State Parkway)

Last edited by Glennm27; 10-06-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 AM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

This is on a public hwy where there are posted limits. Trust me the State police know what went dn last yr. I don't know it for a fact but we may be in for a rude awaking this yr. Last yr they had radar out and clocked some very high speeds. If you want to drive fast come on dn to Millville at one of the many events in a safe environment. I can guarantee you that you will not be able to drive as fast as you think you can!!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
markviii
Instructor

Thanks for the responses guys. This will be my first time attending this event, and it sound like a lot of fun!!

I'll either meet the group up at the cheesequake rest stop or I'll be waiting at the Monmouth Rest Stop (Exit 100) for a bunch of Corvettes to drive by and I'll jump in there.

Thanks!
Ken
2002 Mag Red II Coupe
Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Old 10-06-2009, 01:26 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Ok, so is this then basically several hundred Corvettes starting in one parking lot and then going down the Atlantic City Expressway to another parking lot while the road is closed to other traffic?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Ok, so is this then basically several hundred Corvettes starting in one parking lot and then going down the Atlantic City Expressway to another parking lot while the road is closed to other traffic?
Hey, you got it....plus you get the chance to do something nice for underprivileged kids & have some free hot dogs courtesy of Kerbeck's!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:05 PM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

Take the bigger view...this is an opportunity to join several hundred Vette owners in contributing toys so a lot of kids who wouldn't have a Christmas otherwise. While the run is a good time, you'll feel even better when those Marines in their dress blues put your toy on that mountain of good will. And Kerbeck , which doesn't charge a thing for this event, spends considerable time and money to make it happen. We have expensive toys and this is a chance to give back to those that don't, a most worthy cause. Feel the love brother
Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Its NOT A RACE!!!! The expressway is closed just because there is a over 500, closer to 800 vettes on the expressway all at once. Don't believe what your heard, or read on the internet. IT IS NOT A RACE. some people like to open the car up a bit, and so far that has not been frowned upon. But let me make this perfectly clear, it will be a direct slap in the face to the law enforcement personnel, as well as the entire Kerbeck organization if it is treated as such. USE YOUR HEAD, bragging about it on the internet, for millions of people to see, local gvt, state gvt, nosy people, are all going to start complaining about the "free for all". If you are making a lane change, check your mirrors, and check them again. Some people will always want to just cruise, others will want to drive, but lets all make it another safe event. Last year, I drove at a steady light warping speed of 75mph. Drive with your head, not over it. Mark, I'm not directing this you, I just want to dispel some of the rumors that you must have heard/read about. as others have said, this event is first and foremost for the underprivileged kids whose Christmas is light in the gift dept. With the economy and jobless rate being what it is, I'm sure the presents will be a bit of a welcome relief for the kids/families who receive them. You want a race? Millville(New Jersey Motorsports Park) isn't very far from AC, two tracks, no traffic/ no pedestrians, go as fast as you think you can.

Last edited by GeorgeZNJ; 10-06-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Steve~74
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Plus......they are calling for some showers on Saturday, that will keep the speeds and the crowds down.

My car only does 75 mph.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:18 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
Its NOT A RACE!!!! The expressway is closed just because there is a over 500, closer to 800 vettes on the expressway all at once. Don't believe what your heard, or read on the internet. IT IS NOT A RACE. some people like to open the car up a bit, and so far that has not been frowned upon. But let me make this perfectly clear, it will be a direct slap in the face to the law enforcement personell, as well as the entire Kerbeck organization if it is treated as such. USE YOUR HEAD, bragging about it on the internet, for millions of people to see, local gvt, state gvt, nosey people, are all going to start complaining about the "free for all". If you are making a lane chnge, check your mirrors, and check them again. Some people will always want to just cruise, others will want to drive, but lets all make it another safe event. Last year, I drove at a steady lightwarping speed of 75mph. Drive with your head, not over it. Mark, I'm not directing this you, I just want to dispell some of the rumors that you must have heard/read about.
Originally Posted by Glennm27
I'll chime in on the spirited driving part. Hearing about the so called "Spirited Driving" 2 or 3 years ago has kept me away from this event....

I have visions of someone doing as mentioned above 150 to 190 down the AC Expressway and someone else doing 70-80 switching lanes in front of the guy coming at them at 150-190 but not realiozing or expecting the closing rate of that guy......

THAT will put an end to the Toys 4 Tots run.............. I hope it never happens......

At the track, we all know what were in for and all understand closing rates and expect the high speeds. You'll have many 1st timers on the Toys for Tots run that will be shocked when they are passed by another Corvette doing 2 ro 3 times the speed they are going...

Sorry if this sounds like your Dad speaking, but I'm an advocate of "Saving it for the Track" Even at the track we have drivers meetings before we ever take to the track to advise of things like this and how to hold your line and let the passing car go off line...

Have Fun guys and Be Safe............

Oh and the Farley Plaza is 13 miles west of AC Expressway exit 7 (Garden State Parkway)
Well said Glenn and George (and thats from two experienced track guys). It will be plenty of fun without a bunch of guys who have never driven their Vette on a track trying to break into 3 digits. The NJ Troopers and AC Police have been really accomodating and it would suck for a couple of idiots to ruin this great cause, and great time.

A couple of us will probably make a night of it in AC afterward. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by cjlaw73; 10-06-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:37 PM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

[QUOTE=GeorgeZNJ;1571731563]IT IS NOT A RACE. some people like to open the car up a bit, and so far that has not been frowned upon. But let me make this perfectly clear, it will be a direct slap in the face to the law enforcement personnel, as well as the entire Kerbeck organization if it is treated as such. USE YOUR HEAD, bragging about it on the internet, for millions of people to see, local gvt, state gvt, nosy people, are all going to start complaining about the "free for all". Drive with your head, not over it.

Well said,

Last edited by jimmymack; 10-06-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Toys 4 Tots questions

Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Dave S
Hey, you got it....plus you get the chance to do something nice for underprivileged kids & have some free hot dogs courtesy of Kerbeck's!
That and even gain the possibility of receiving a "FREE KEYCHAIN" to boot!

I'm glad that Harry is back this year.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by scris
Plus......they are calling for some showers on Saturday, that will keep the speeds and the crowds down.

My car only does 75 mph.
Don't start about the rain! Anyone who drives a Corvette is blessed. Don't let a little rain keep you from sharing your blessings with people who REALLY need it.

I promise, your car won't melt!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Steve~74
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Don't start about the rain! Anyone who drives a Corvette is blessed. Don't let a little rain keep you from sharing your blessings with people who REALLY need it.

I promise, your car won't melt!

Dave....its not about the rain. My passenger side power window in my '74 is stuck in the down position. I know my car wont melt, but I don't want the inside to become an indoor pool.

Last edited by Steve~74; 10-06-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Toys 4 Tots questions