Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Any local central/north jersian able to help a brotha out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,532 Likes on 523 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Any local central/north jersian able to help a brotha out?

Well some of you know I had problems with my positive battery connector.. well because of the problem I didn't drive the car for a week and 1/2+ because I didn't want to go somewhere and then the car not start.. Well I got it fixed on Wednesday and once in that time period I rinsed her off at the local spray it yourself.. well after that period or b4, BIRD CRAP loved falling on my car. My garage is currently being redone and the doors are broken and are not accessible so the car sat outside.. Now in certain spots I have light brown "stains" on the car in various spots.. I washed it and then used bug and tar remover and quick detail spray.. using this combo got out a decent amount of the larger "stains" but some of the other stuff is going to require a claybar and a wax I think.. unless any of you know anything better.

So heres where the phrase can anyone help a brotha out comes to play.

I purchased my vette a little over a month ago.. I am slowly seeing what products to buy and which work the best, etc, etc. But I do not have any wax as of yet, and don't have any stuff for waxing (good microfiber towel or foam applicator) and no claybarring stuff.. so I was wondering if anyone could claybar and wax the car with me.. I am willing to pay them to help me.. if they want to be paid by hour, for the product they waste on my car, lunch, a 6 pack, whatever!! I just really could use some assistance.. This would have never happend if I was able to drive it because I would be out and when i noticed bird crap, I would be able to get it off asap. So if anyone can help it I would appreciate it.. It would be a blow if I had to go to a detailer in mid June and pay $100+ dollars for them to do it.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, the clay bar is the best thing to use to remove everything from the paint it's self explainitory very easy to use this is what i use:
http://www.claymagic.net
Then get a good wax like Mother's, Meguiars carnuba do it in the shade or a cloudy day when the car body is cool, you can look in the auto parts store for the micrfiber towels or the diaper towels(real soft), actually that web site i linked you has a driveway detailing kit to get you started with everthing you need. Good luck with it you'll do fine.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

How does the claybar work? I never even saw one before.. Do i rub the bar on the car? I am completely clueless to how you work it.. sorry if this is stupid.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

well the directions will tell you, but here it is in a nutshell you kneed the bar in your hands and make it soft, spray a lube spray(that comes with the kit) on a small area of the car rub the bar on the area gently and wipe off with a towel, continue on till the whole car is done, you never want to use the bar on a dry car always spray the area firstwith the lube spray the bar will glide over the paint removing the surface contaminents and imperfections, and of course wash the car real good before you start.
Your questions are not stupid at all i didn't know anything about clay bars untill recently and started trying it out on a inconspicous spot on the car first, till i got the hang of it, your not going to damage anything so go for it.
where are you in NJ? you can PM me if you want.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

I am about 15 min south of morristown, right next door to warren twsp. Im in Long Hill.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:32 PM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

You can also try 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compoud Professional Formula.

It wont hurt the clear coat and takes out scartches and surface imperfections. I had great success using this product. I re-apply wax in the area after using it.

I have used this on my White C4 and my Torch Red C5, its a fantastic product.

Last edited by warren s; 06-04-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:39 PM
footba4672
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

im new to NJ and in east windsor....if you are near there id be glad to help out if u can get the car to my house....i have an orbital polisher as well

let me know
Old 06-05-2005, 08:08 PM
sgp99
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am 25 miles west of Morristown...I would be willing to help you...pm me if interested.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Wow mike I go away for a weekend and you are already looking for fill-ins

To clay bar your car is easy.

1. Clean car with Dawn dish soap

2. Fill a spray bottle with 1 cap of Car Wash Saop and the rest with water.

3. Spray down a section of your car with the above mixture.

4. take the clay bar and start to move it back and forth over the wet area making sure that you continually turn the clay bar inside out.

5. Continue this process over the entire car.

6. When done was car with Car Wash Soap

7. Dry completely

8. Start your polishing.

I use Zaino on my car, but there are other good products on the market that you can get. BTW - I did another forum member's car for $120.00

Of course his arm was broken so he could not do it. Get to love your car and spend a weekend cleaning it - wait you spend everyday cleaning it. Don't worry it is really hard to make a mistake with the Clay Bar....
Old 06-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by footba4672
im new to NJ and in east windsor....if you are near there id be glad to help out if u can get the car to my house....i have an orbital polisher as well

let me know

Doug nice to meet you the other night at Carolier. Hope you enjoy your new C6. Nice Color BTW....
Old 06-06-2005, 01:23 PM
footba4672
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Bob....i like your color as well
Old 06-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Nysbadmk8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Well some of you know I had problems with my positive battery connector.. well because of the problem I didn't drive the car for a week and 1/2+ because I didn't want to go somewhere and then the car not start.. Well I got it fixed on Wednesday and once in that time period I rinsed her off at the local spray it yourself.. well after that period or b4, BIRD CRAP loved falling on my car. My garage is currently being redone and the doors are broken and are not accessible so the car sat outside.. Now in certain spots I have light brown "stains" on the car in various spots.. I washed it and then used bug and tar remover and quick detail spray.. using this combo got out a decent amount of the larger "stains" but some of the other stuff is going to require a claybar and a wax I think.. unless any of you know anything better.

So heres where the phrase can anyone help a brotha out comes to play.

I purchased my vette a little over a month ago.. I am slowly seeing what products to buy and which work the best, etc, etc. But I do not have any wax as of yet, and don't have any stuff for waxing (good microfiber towel or foam applicator) and no claybarring stuff.. so I was wondering if anyone could claybar and wax the car with me.. I am willing to pay them to help me.. if they want to be paid by hour, for the product they waste on my car, lunch, a 6 pack, whatever!! I just really could use some assistance.. This would have never happend if I was able to drive it because I would be out and when i noticed bird crap, I would be able to get it off asap. So if anyone can help it I would appreciate it.. It would be a blow if I had to go to a detailer in mid June and pay $100+ dollars for them to do it.

Paying a detailer isnt so bad :-) we kinda know what we are doing.

It sounds like you need to clay bar your paint, and then use a paint cleaning product such as meguiars medallion paint cleaner, or meguiars cleaner wax.

Give me a ring for more advice at 1-877-585-9165

Get notified of new replies

To Any local central/north jersian able to help a brotha out?

Quick Reply: Any local central/north jersian able to help a brotha out?