NMCA C4/C5/C6 Shootout May 1-3 - Bowling Green, KY

Ready to buy C-5 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Hawgs shevo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to buy C-5 corvette

Hello Forum family, ready to purchase another corvette. Last one being a c-3 series. The c-5 fits me better than C-6. I can not get my finger around the true price of these cars. One appasial is one price the other is $4000.-$6000.00 different. Where is the standard, then there is my price that I am will to pay. Hand on the trigger, ready to pull but target are out of site
Old 04-26-2014, 10:10 PM
geagle.2001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C5 values...

Are you looking for a coupe, vert, fixed roof coupe, or Z06? I just bought a 2005 but was cross shopping early C6's against C5 Z06's, and so I really studied C5 markets. Unfortunately, there is no easy answers to your question given the range of models, not to mention pace cars, anniversary editions, and LeMans specials. Also, do you want a track rat to thrash, and care less about condition, or a garage queen? The truth is that mileage can sometimes be worth upwards up $4,000 per 10,000 miles. There is still a lot of depreciation across the board, but nice Z06's are creeping back up towards $30,000, with 2004 LeMans editions the highest value. Keep in mind early C5's up to 2001 or 02 had an ECU problem and they don't make the part anymore. Check the boards on that issue and watch out. I think the best thing to do is decide on the model and condition you want, and most importantly your budget, cross shop what is available, and go from there. That's what I did. For me it came down to an 03 Z06 for $28,000, with 30,000 miles, vs a 2005 coupe with only 19,000 miles, the Z51 package and a nice corsa exhaust for the same price. While the car will see some track duty, the performance difference is negligible, and the 05 gave me the removable panel and overall better fit and finish, plus the C6 body style. I went with the 05. Don't mean to drone on about what I bought, but I thought my process and experience might give you some things to consider. All in all, I think you can get a really nice late model year C5 for mid 20's. And it is also true that its worth whatever someone is willing to take. You might find a dealer who has been sitting on a car for a year, or someone who really needs the cash. Selling a used Corvette isnt like selling an Accord. There is a limited audience fore what is more toy than transportation. Best of luck! And don't forget to wave!

Last edited by geagle.2001; 04-26-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Ready to buy C-5 corvette