Corvette Grand Sport Owners, and Street Style Racers, request input.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Corvette Grand Sport Owners, and Street Style Racers, request input.

To all Grand Sport, or Street Racing Corvette car owners of any vintage:

I was thinking that I would be fun to try out for the ‘“Optima Ultimate Street Car Championship”, (I think youtube has some good examples of the contest) to see if one or more of us could win a ticket(s) for the finals they have every year after SEMA, or at the very least give it a go and have a smoken good time.

http://ultimatestreetcarassociation.com

This would be a fun place to actually race against other cars of mostly a similar vintage. It's all by timing so crashing into each other is about nil, and there are always good run off places on the corners if one gets to optimistic about their breaking abilities.

It has to be run on "200" tread wear rated tires aka. street tires. Be street legal for the road, and have proof of insurance.

There is also a Technical Inspection one has to pass mainly for safeties sake.

I watched them run here in March (D/FW) and I was green with envy. They run a short, Braking Autocross, and "Fastest Lap on a open Track" usually between 1-2 miles in length, a regular "Autocross Track" where most, if not all of the course is in 1st or 2nd gear, and lastly each car is judged as to quality of build, concept, etc.

Are there any Grand Sport, or "In the Spirit of Grand Sport/ or Vintage Corvette" car owners that would be open to representing ourselves as a Team of sorts?

Primarily the, "Grand Sport" Independent style of racing that was formed just after the original Grand Sport Corvettes were built, and when GM decided ti pull out of racing altogether.

I would love to do it, first for fun, with other like minded people if only as an homage to the history of the independent racers, "back in the day" that had no proper Automoble Manufacturer Backing, yet still kept these important cars from being destroyed, and the important role they played keeping the Grand Sport Corvettes in front of the Pubic long enough for them to become a very important part of Corvette history.

I know we are spread out hither and yawn, but people in similar ares or regions could get together participate, maybe even take some group driving lessons (with a possible discount for groups or clubs) together and get to know each other.

In other words to have a reason to go out and drive the hell out of our cars for fun, and of course to keep the independent spirit of racing alive to whatever degree each of us is comfortable.

I have nothing formally drawn up or anything like that, at this point I am looking to see what level of interest there might be for something like this.

Other venues that might be a fun place to drive our cars and meet one another could be the Hotrod Power Tour. Having a long line of Grand Sports going down the highway would be very cool.

It was just an idea that has been swimming around in my head for a while.

Thoughts, and general comments one way or another would be appreciated?

Ty O'Neal

Quick Reply: Corvette Grand Sport Owners, and Street Style Racers, request input.