CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - Official Thread - August 22-24, 2014

Old 08-01-2014, 03:04 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Question for Lance. Got my sticker in the mail today and was reading over the letter. Noticed that it had a warning in it about reserving spaces with ropes, security tape, chairs, etc. and that they will be removed by security staff. What about our pop up canopies? We always leave ours there, but don't use chairs or tape, etc. We just make sure we're there plenty early so as to have our car parked before the rush. Will that be okay as usual this year? We always either drop it to the ground or take the top off in case of bad weather.
I certainly understand your message about the tape and chairs. It was out of control last year and kept a lot of people who came early from finding places to park, while those who had their area taped off didn't show up till after noon.
I'd appreciate your answer. To be honest, if we have to take down the shade canopy each night, this will most likely be the last year for us as we're older and it's a real chore for us to take it down and put it up. But I will respect whatever your rules are.
I'm so glad you read the letter! It's rare (at least I rarely do, I'm the first to admit it)

Okay, now onto answering your question regarding the pop-up tents. We understand leaving a tent on the grounds over night due to the size and difficulty loading it. However we do request the people put them down or take the top off - they become lovely parachutes with large gusts of wind. It's for the safety of others and of course to ensure cars don't get hit & etc. With this said, you are okay to leave the tents there but please be aware that we're trying to discourage people from "saving spaces" - it's simply not fair. If you arrive early you'll end up getting a wonderful spot. If you show up at 9am it'll be slim pickings, by 10am it's typically space on the hill or on top of the hill. Irony has it that I LOVE being on top of the hill due to the nice breeze - but that's just me.

Hopefully this answers your question, thanks for asking.

Sincerely,

Lance
Old 08-01-2014, 03:06 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Witmer
So how does one get his red, white or blue car in the flag photo in 2015? Will it be an option to select when completing on-line fun field registration?
Witmer,

Yes, it'll be an option on the registration. We're eager to make another one, it takes a lot of time and patience on all fronts - car owners, staff & etc. However the end result is downright awesome!

We'll be sure to let people know in the near future. The request to our IT department was submitted a week or so ago.

Thanks!

Lance
Old 08-01-2014, 03:18 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

I think we all just want to park together like you did for the Z06's a few years ago, or like you do for the Grand Sports, the Carlisle blues, the Callaways, etc. These are 1 year cars and, not to sound snobbish, I think we deserve some recognition as well.
Now I better understand what you're seeking. The Callaway Group, Grand Sport Registry, C5/C6 Registry, Solid Axle Corvette Club and a few others are clubs that submitting to park together early on when my father, Chip, decided to provide parking for clubs. However it quickly got out of control with how many clubs were submitting, needless to say he decided to cancel this portion and grandfather the clubs that originally submitted entry. We continue to standby the grandfathered rule, but we implemented a rule that they must have at least 20 vehicles on the showfield or the designated space would be taken away. My father's vision, which I stand behind, was to allow for the early birds to get great space on the fun field, a first come first serve method. It works well, but sometimes people 'claim' their space, however we're trying to alleviate this moving forward, again it's not fair for everyone on a daily basis. So we request you don't use caution tape/chairs and etc. to safe a spot. If you'd like a good spot come early, if you don't mind come in a little later (I personally enjoy my sleep, so I'd be the later entry ).

The clubs that you currently see on the field are the remaining grandfathered clubs. However we often to special displays, such as the race reunion, Corvette Challenge Car reunion, 50th Anniversary reunion and etc. Perhaps at the 5 year mark (2018) we do a 5th anniversary for the 60th Anniversary cars? Or perhaps you might have another angle you feel would work, if so I'm all ears!

Thanks for your enthusiasm, I love this hobby as well!

Cheers,

Lance
Old 08-01-2014, 03:56 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Thanks for answering. Looking forward to another great year at CAC. And fingers are crossed for sunny cool (not too cool) weather all four days.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:30 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for answering. Looking forward to another great year at CAC. And fingers are crossed for sunny cool (not too cool) weather all four days.
My pleasure, please don't hesitate contacting me with any of your ideas. It's fun to run with peoples ideas & passions... Heck, I try to do it daily!

Cheers,

Lance
Old 08-01-2014, 09:15 PM
apredvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racelance
Please remember the events are all about YOU, the attendees. With this in mind, I often am thrown ideas and frequently we implement if the ideas work for the masses. There's no need to 'pester' me I'm happy to carry out what people are looking to accomplish. The themed displays such as the 50th Anniversary cars ('64s this year), the Challenge Car display & etc. all have anniversaries (Challenge Car is 25 years young). Next year we plan on producing the American Flag and honoring Vets

Let me know how you feel the 427 theme would fit and what you envision - either PM me, place it here or hit me up via email: lancem<AT SIGN>carlisleevents.com.

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Lance
I think all most of us want is to have an area for parking on the fun field that is themed for the 427 convertibles. Hell, I think it would be cool to have the older cars mixed in as well as the 13s. Unless the other folks want a "60th 427 only" area. It would be cool to see how many of the 2552 cars produced could be brought together.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:19 PM
apredvette
Instructor

Now I better understand what you're seeking. The Callaway Group, Grand Sport Registry, C5/C6 Registry, Solid Axle Corvette Club and a few others are clubs that submitting to park together early on when my father, Chip, decided to provide parking for clubs. However it quickly got out of control with how many clubs were submitting, needless to say he decided to cancel this portion and grandfather the clubs that originally submitted entry. We continue to standby the grandfathered rule, but we implemented a rule that they must have at least 20 vehicles on the showfield or the designated space would be taken away. My father's vision, which I stand behind, was to allow for the early birds to get great space on the fun field, a first come first serve method. It works well, but sometimes people 'claim' their space, however we're trying to alleviate this moving forward, again it's not fair for everyone on a daily basis. So we request you don't use caution tape/chairs and etc. to safe a spot. If you'd like a good spot come early, if you don't mind come in a little later (I personally enjoy my sleep, so I'd be the later entry ).

The clubs that you currently see on the field are the remaining grandfathered clubs. However we often to special displays, such as the race reunion, Corvette Challenge Car reunion, 50th Anniversary reunion and etc. Perhaps at the 5 year mark (2018) we do a 5th anniversary for the 60th Anniversary cars? Or perhaps you might have another angle you feel would work, if so I'm all ears!

Thanks for your enthusiasm, I love this hobby as well!

Cheers,

Lance
Ideally, we should have tried to organize this last year as they are 60th anniversary cars. I'm not suggesting permanent parking like the grandfathered clubs, but just a theme area as a 1 yr, 1 time event.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Exactly.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:59 AM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by apredvette
Ideally, we should have tried to organize this last year as they are 60th anniversary cars. I'm not suggesting permanent parking like the grandfathered clubs, but just a theme area as a 1 yr, 1 time event.
Easy enough... we'll have to wait until a round year unless you guys have another idea?

Cheers,

Lance
Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 668 Likes on 290 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

If you show up at 9am it'll be slim pickings, by 10am it's typically space on the hill or on top of the hill. Irony has it that I LOVE being on top of the hill due to the nice breeze - but that's just me.

Sincerely,

Lance
So I guess I am sick in the head, since on Saturday I arrive on the fairgrounds early enough to watch the sun rise (what an awesome sight) and I drive straight to the top of the hill and set up my pop up tent and wait for my Club to arrive.

And speaking of special displays and Anniversary car displays, where is the love for the now 10 year old, 2004 Commemorative Edition Z06 display!

See you in a few weeks and I can't wait. Thanks for all that you and your staff does for the hobby.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:50 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Hey Zipity, did you catch that low miles (3400) Commemorative that went up for auction at Barrett Jackson this weekend? It sold for only $20,000. That guy would have done better selling it outright or even on a trade. And when you add in the $8000 he had to pay BJ to auction it........he only got $12,000!!! Some guys are just nuts.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:59 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Lance,

I received my Fun Field sticker but didn't get anything for the downtown parade that I registered for.

Should there be a separate windshield sticker for that?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Cross posting this to reach as many as possible. This autocross is a fund raiser for the Cumberland Valley Corvette Club and all money will go toward our Charity Fund, contributions are made made each year to several national and local charities - have fun and suppoert our charitable contributions.

Just want to remind folks about the annual auto-cross at Corvettes of Carlisle

Have you always wanted to try AX - or just want to show some of your AX skills? Good chance to do either. There will be lots of experienced coaches to ride along if you're new to AX or just want some help. We'll have a limited number of loaner helmets. Come on out

Look me up - I'll be around the CVCC trailer, the AX registration tent, or working tech and instructing Friday and Sunday.

Hope to see ya there,

Mike

Last edited by PaConehead; 08-05-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:35 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Do we have any I81 updates from people in PA, how many lane closures, where? How many miles are the closures?
Old 08-05-2014, 01:52 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Easy enough... we'll have to wait until a round year unless you guys have another idea?

Cheers,

Lance
I think the '66 was the first vette with a 427, so maybe 2016 can be a 50th anniversary for all 427 vettes made? Either a special display (like the usual 50th anniversary display) or just a special parking area (like is available for the '96 GSs).
Old 08-05-2014, 02:32 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tdogg21
I think the '66 was the first vette with a 427, so maybe 2016 can be a 50th anniversary for all 427 vettes made? Either a special display (like the usual 50th anniversary display) or just a special parking area (like is available for the '96 GSs).
Excellent idea.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Too much to read! I'm looking for a list of vendors, in particular for exhausts for a c6 Z06.

I'm also interested in knowing if space is still available for the fun field??

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - Official Thread - August 22-24, 2014

Old 08-05-2014, 08:11 PM
apredvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by tdogg21
I think that is a good idea as well as we should include all 427s but I am NOT opposed to have a 60th Anniversary 427 vert section next year. Guarantee I'll be attending. The next 20 days are going to be agony. Glad we're heading down a day early
Old 08-05-2014, 10:22 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iwantaz06now
Too much to read! I'm looking for a list of vendors, in particular for exhausts for a c6 Z06.

I'm also interested in knowing if space is still available for the fun field??

Thanks!
Lots of vendors do exhausts there. Corsa is the biggest one. And yes, there's space available for the fun field. You can order online and pick up at the office at Gate 3 when you get there. Once you get your pass, put it on your windshield on the upper drivers side and drive in.
What a blast..
Old 08-06-2014, 02:18 PM
my50thAE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
Do we have any I81 updates from people in PA, how many lane closures, where? How many miles are the closures?
You can check 511PA or their mobile app for current road construction/conditions. I also use an app called WAZE that will reroute you around traffic delays. Happy travels!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - Official Thread - August 22-24, 2014