CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - Official Thread - August 22-24, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Dewayne'sZ06
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Last year was our 1st trip there and we have already paid for our fun field pass and hotel is booked for this yr. Cant wait to roll back!
Old 03-02-2014, 01:18 AM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

My dad and I are planning on attending this year in his 2010 GS. This will also a first time for us to attend as well. Luckily we've have family in Reading, PA so we won't have to bother with the hassle and expense of a hotel room. We'll be traveling up from south Mississippi, so it'll be a long ride....but a ride we're both looking forward to....but for the fun, the sights and just spending time together for once. I hope to see some of you there and make some new friends.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:18 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryMow
My dad and I are planning on attending this year in his 2010 GS. This will also a first time for us to attend as well. Luckily we've have family in Reading, PA so we won't have to bother with the hassle and expense of a hotel room. We'll be traveling up from south Mississippi, so it'll be a long ride....but a ride we're both looking forward to....but for the fun, the sights and just spending time together for once. I hope to see some of you there and make some new friends.
Some advice,
For the best experience purchase a Fun Field pass which gets you the best parking and other perks. Bring along hats because there is very very little shade and sometimes it gets into the 100's. Bring plenty of cash because you're going to want to buy everything. Bring a couple of those folding chairs in bags because you're going to walk for miles and unless you want to sit in the dining area or the grandstand, there's no where else to sit. Most people bring along a folding canopy tent. Maybe your family has one you can borrow for the weekend. You're permitted to put it up and let it there all weekend. I've done that for years and it's perfectly safe (unless there's a tornado like storm like that one year when everyone's got smashed! ) Bring an umbrella in the trunk in case of rain. Bring a camera because you'll want to take tons of pics of the burnouts, the bikinis, and the cars.
Have a great time.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Some advice,
For the best experience purchase a Fun Field pass which gets you the best parking and other perks. Bring along hats because there is very very little shade and sometimes it gets into the 100's. Bring plenty of cash because you're going to want to buy everything. Bring a couple of those folding chairs in bags because you're going to walk for miles and unless you want to sit in the dining area or the grandstand, there's no where else to sit. Most people bring along a folding canopy tent. Maybe your family has one you can borrow for the weekend. You're permitted to put it up and let it there all weekend. I've done that for years and it's perfectly safe (unless there's a tornado like storm like that one year when everyone's got smashed! ) Bring an umbrella in the trunk in case of rain. Bring a camera because you'll want to take tons of pics of the burnouts, the bikinis, and the cars.
Have a great time.
OK thanks for that heads up on the Fun Field Pass....Im all about good parking and a goodie bag! I know we could fit folding chairs in my dads Vette, but I doubt the EZ up would....I could always con extra family members to attend and be responsible for that end of the deal...lol. As far as the camera goes, yeah that will be a given. Stuff like that I always take 7 or 800 pics...Ive got to, I figure if I take that many, Im bound to get 20 or 30 good ones eventually. lol
Old 03-02-2014, 01:12 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Those ez ups fit real nice in the trunk without the bag. Just be sure to bring stakes to nail it down because it's been known to get pretty windy. I have a 13 vert and with the top up I get a 10x10 tent, two folding chairs, a folding table, duffle bag (clothes) and my detailing stuff all in the trunk. So your dad's 10 should hold a lot as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Tblaum
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We are going this year also, first timers! Looking forward to it, already have hotel and will need to order our Fun Field pass soon, my question is for the parade in town are you able to walk there from the fun field? I figured it would be more fun to watch from the sidelines. Thanks for all the great tips I've seen so far.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Tblaum & LarryMow-

We're thrilled to have you during Corvettes at Carlisle this year! We'll do our best to please you. Not to worry about bringing your own tent, just mingle with all the great people on the field - rest assured they'll invite you in for some cover! Corvette family is the best!

Looking forward to having you, if you have any questions at all please feel free PMing me or post 'em here - always good for others to learn as well.

Sincerely,

Lance
Old 03-03-2014, 07:19 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tblaum
We are going this year also, first timers! Looking forward to it, already have hotel and will need to order our Fun Field pass soon, my question is for the parade in town are you able to walk there from the fun field? I figured it would be more fun to watch from the sidelines. Thanks for all the great tips I've seen so far.
It's a good hike. Best thing to do is just stand by Gate 3 and watch everyone pull out!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM
V8lust
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Can anyone comment as to whether it is reasonable to hope to get a really good deal buying something at Carlisle, or if instead the real advantage to being there is to be able to see so many products in person?

I am thinking about replacing my stock exhaust. It sounds like fun to go to a booth, look and listen around and then have them install it while you watch/wait . . . but on the other hand the discounted prices you can get right now from Forum Vendors along with free shipping is attractive as well.

On the down side of buying at Carlisle I'd have to wait until August . . . and returning home with the stock system in tow sounds like a problem as well.

I'm sure that the fun of being there isn't all about dollars, but I'm still wondering . . .
Old 03-04-2014, 09:51 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

You'll get good deals at the show. As for taking your stock exhaust home with you, you don't have to. You can let it there. You'll see STACKS of exhausts at every installation tent. But whether the deals are better than what you can get now is debatable. If you want to pull into Carlisle with your car already sounding awesome...........do it now. Make sure you get your exhaust installed by someone who knows what they're doing and triple check to make sure that they get the pipes on STRAIGHT and lined up!!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:49 PM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by V8lust
Can anyone comment as to whether it is reasonable to hope to get a really good deal buying something at Carlisle, or if instead the real advantage to being there is to be able to see so many products in person?

I am thinking about replacing my stock exhaust. It sounds like fun to go to a booth, look and listen around and then have them install it while you watch/wait . . . but on the other hand the discounted prices you can get right now from Forum Vendors along with free shipping is attractive as well.

On the down side of buying at Carlisle I'd have to wait until August . . . and returning home with the stock system in tow sounds like a problem as well.

I'm sure that the fun of being there isn't all about dollars, but I'm still wondering . . .
Installs are only done on C5 and above, not sure what year you have.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 PM
V8lust
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymack
Installs are only done on C5 and above, not sure what year you have.
'06, C6, MN6, Coupe. (lots of 6s!) Looks like I'm good, thanks.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:30 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Thanks....we're planning on having fun...with 4000 cars there, Im sure we will. Now, the question that I have is...(and maybe I've missed something or not understanding the show setup)....but now we've got to decide what tickets to buy or what the differences are between the showfield, funfield and the spectator passes.

Edit: if it matters to help with correct answers to this...I think my dad would really like to park with the rest of the folks with the Grand Sport Registry.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:47 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Thanks....we're planning on having fun...with 4000 cars there, Im sure we will. Now, the question that I have is...(and maybe I've missed something or not understanding the show setup)....but now we've got to decide what tickets to buy or what the differences are between the showfield, funfield and the spectator passes.

Edit: if it matters to help with correct answers to this...I think my dad would really like to park with the rest of the folks with the Grand Sport Registry.
Showfield and Funfield are the same, unless you're having your car judged in the NCCC show.
The Funfield pass is the way to go. The majority of Carlisle is flat and surrounds the Grandstand and Midway. All of the parking in this area is the Funfield. It does extend up the hill too, but if you get the general Corvette parking, then you're up over the hill and sort of out of the loop. Most people who park there are just there for the day. If you're planning on a weekend............get the Funfield pass. A spectator pass is just that. No parking on the fairgrounds. It's just a pass to walk into the show and look around. You have to find street parking or lot parking. Again........... a Funfield Pass is the way to go. Plus on Saturday, celebrities go around and pick their favorite Corvette and if they pick your car, you get a trophy and get to participate in the awards parade on Sunday. It's a nice honor. I've seen everything from the most extreme outrageous modded Vettes, to barn finds with no paint left on it get awards. I've been fortunate enough to get one with each of my Vettes and it's a real kick to get that.
As for parking with the Grand Sport Registry, I know where they park and they are definitely a Funfield pass, but I don't know if you have to be a "member" or just have a Grand Sport. I THINK it's for the "skunks" though, not all GS's. The blue and white ones are the only ones I remember seeing parked there. Someone will answer this part I'm sure. Don't go by my answer on this.

If you don't have a hotel yet, get cracking!! Most people will book their hotel for next year on the day they check out for this year. Choice Hotels is a good website for hotel searching, plus there are links on the Carlisle webpage.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:22 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Showfield and Funfield are the same, unless you're having your car judged in the NCCC show.
The Funfield pass is the way to go. The majority of Carlisle is flat and surrounds the Grandstand and Midway. All of the parking in this area is the Funfield. It does extend up the hill too, but if you get the general Corvette parking, then you're up over the hill and sort of out of the loop. Most people who park there are just there for the day. If you're planning on a weekend............get the Funfield pass. A spectator pass is just that. No parking on the fairgrounds. It's just a pass to walk into the show and look around. You have to find street parking or lot parking. Again........... a Funfield Pass is the way to go. Plus on Saturday, celebrities go around and pick their favorite Corvette and if they pick your car, you get a trophy and get to participate in the awards parade on Sunday. It's a nice honor. I've seen everything from the most extreme outrageous modded Vettes, to barn finds with no paint left on it get awards. I've been fortunate enough to get one with each of my Vettes and it's a real kick to get that.
As for parking with the Grand Sport Registry, I know where they park and they are definitely a Funfield pass, but I don't know if you have to be a "member" or just have a Grand Sport. I THINK it's for the "skunks" though, not all GS's. The blue and white ones are the only ones I remember seeing parked there. Someone will answer this part I'm sure. Don't go by my answer on this.

If you don't have a hotel yet, get cracking!! Most people will book their hotel for next year on the day they check out for this year. Choice Hotels is a good website for hotel searching, plus there are links on the Carlisle webpage.
Ok cool, that helps ALOT! I think the funfield pass is actually what he was gonna get anyways and Im trying my best to talk him into doing the Parade thing in town. I know I had fun when I was part of the parade during my trip on The Bandit Run...I think he needs to have the same experience as well. As for the hotel, naaaaaaa. lol we've got a buttload of family to crash with over in Reading, it's only about 80 miles and ALOT cheaper.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Lucky guy! Yeah, do the parade. I think you'll both enjoy it. Wish I had some family down that way to stay with. Hotels are CRAZY expensive that weekend.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:36 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Lucky guy! Yeah, do the parade. I think you'll both enjoy it. Wish I had some family down that way to stay with. Hotels are CRAZY expensive that weekend.
Oh yeah, they get like that down here too every year when Cruisin The Coast rolls around to Biloxi....or the World of Wheels in New Orleans. Cruisin the Coast is MUCH more fun though, an entire week of hot rods, cruising, hot chicks on the beach....ya just cant beat that.
Oh yeah heres a pic of my dad and his ride.

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - Official Thread - August 22-24, 2014

Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

NICE RIDE! Like I said, IF you can tuck a pop up canopy into that thing, do it. It's nice to have someplace comfortable to crash during the day. If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods around you , they sell a 6x6 tent that fits into a bag about the size of a chair. I have one because I didn't know that there was more trunk room in my Vert than there was. I used it one year. But then I discovered the hidden room, so now my 10x10 goes to Carlisle with me. Those things are the best things since white bread.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:54 PM
LarryMow
Racer

I'll have to look into getting a small canopy like that....my old man aint gonna want to deal with the bigger one. Yeah we have a Dicks Sporting Goods here, might check it out tomorrow. And speaking of which, Ive always joked with dad about that I'd so get fired if I worked there....I'd be too tempted to answer the phone "DICKS!!!.....sporting goods, our prices are hard to beat...lol
Old 03-08-2014, 03:56 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

I'll have to look into getting a small canopy like that....my old man aint gonna want to deal with the bigger one. Yeah we have a Dicks Sporting Goods here, might check it out tomorrow. And speaking of which, Ive always joked with dad about that I'd so get fired if I worked there....I'd be too tempted to answer the phone "DICKS!!!.....sporting goods, our prices are hard to beat...lol
A 10x10 will definitely fit in the C6 coupe. We bring a 2011 convertible and have a 10x10, 2 folding chairs, clothes, cooler, detailing stuff, beer and wine, and the trunk on a convertible is far smaller than the coupe!

Elaine

Quick Reply: CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - Official Thread - August 22-24, 2014