Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

For those who have been to the Black Hills

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 02:55 PM
UpNorthC7
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default For those who have been to the Black Hills

For those of you who have been to the Black Hills - more specifically, Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road. Did you have any scraping issues on some of the switchbacks on those roads, in your Corvette? I love the drives in Custer State Park, been there several times in my truck, jeep and my motorcycle. No issues with them. However, I have seen the gouges left in the pavement from other vehicles, most likely RV's and buses, I would think. I sure some care has to be taken on some of them. Please let me know your experiences. Thanks
Old 03-10-2024, 03:56 PM
MitchSpence
Drifting

Received 312 Likes on 156 Posts

Those roads being in a cold climate are subject to some serious heaving. As they say at LeMans, don’t overdrive your headlights.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:10 AM
snappytravis
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been up there for Kool Deadwood nights many times and driven every road up there. The wife and I took two different dodge vipers, a 09 and 99 drove all over never had any issues, I know what your talking about some of the marks in the asphalt. Don't follow the signs to wonderland cave that's all I have to say.. If you have not been up there many times find you one of those small road maps of the area.. I know they have a big corvette show up there in spearfish, not sure when. The Kool Deadwood nights show is later in august this year. But its pretty busy then and a person would need rooms before. I think it would be better cruising around up there when nothing is going on.. Good luck and safe travels
Old 03-18-2024, 09:18 AM
UpNorthC7
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. I have driven all the roads up there many times also, but not in my Corvette. Glad to see that you're able to enjoy them without doing any damage to your vehicle. Hoping I'll get a chance to do the same.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:34 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I’ve driven them multiple times every year in corvette for the past 25 years with no problems. For 2024 and 2025 make sure you watch the highway 385 road construction website. https://us-385.com

Justin

Get notified of new replies

To For those who have been to the Black Hills

Quick Reply: For those who have been to the Black Hills