Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Suggestions for things to check out on a May/June NCM delivery return trip?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Suggestions for things to check out on a May/June NCM delivery return trip?

Heya folks!

Just placed my deposit on a C7, and if all goes as planned I'll be picking it up last week of May from the NCM back home to Cupertino, CA.

What I'm trying to sort out is what to check out on my trip. I'll be on the road for about a week, and figure about a half day is the most I'd want to stay at any one place to see the sites and try the foodage.

If all goes as I'd like, I'll be last week of May, which would allow me the opportunity to start the drive by heading up to MN for a cousin's wedding on the 31st. If that doesn't happen I'll be sticking to the corridor marked in the map (which will be my preferred route regardless of when I go).

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:39 PM
BoulderVette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 56, have lived in Boulder for 25 years, but originally from Kentucky, not too far from Bowling Green, and as a lover of cars (any make) and driving I've been all over that "strip" many times. I could bore you with the obvious. Rocky Mountain National Park, and the cruise over Trail Ridge road, as well as the canyon lands of southeastern Utah, and the drive through Monument Valley. Absolutely worthy if you've never done them. A little more off the beaten path Independence Pass between Leadville and Aspen, CO, and a side trip to Telluride, CO, my favorite mountain town in all the world. Yea, I've seen a bit of that as well.

But my main advice. Forgo time and the interstates. Plan yourself a route on two lanes, all the way, particularly including the "loneliest
road in America", US 50 in western Utah, and Nevada. Despite coming up easily in Yahoo or any other search engine it lives true to it's
name. I know because I've done it, west to east. Stop at a general store in Kansas with an old man in overall's out front. Or a cowboy town Wyoming. Let them fuss (that's a Ky term) over your new car. I mentioned Wyoming. Yea, it's not on your route, but it features some of the most wide open, traffic free, public tarmac in America. More than one weekend I've driven up there, well just to take a drive. Once your north of Fort Collins the population density of Colorado's front range fades in your rear view mirror. Pick a two lane or two, and just go see what's there.

Again, it's all about time and what your really looking for. Quick as possible, throw my advice aside. Most of the women I've know have. Either way, stay safe, and have fun.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:26 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks BoulderVette! Do you have any input on visiting Pike's Peak?
Old 02-23-2014, 11:05 PM
BoulderVette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The weather could make it iffy that time of year. Same is true for Independence Pass. Check CDOT. They have an extensive website. Trail Ridge road is almost always open by Mem. Day. It's a priority. I'm not certain Pikes Peak is. Independence Pass is definitely not. And Pikes Peak is now paved all the way so no worries about your new car as long as it's open. But like Trail Ridge you'll have plenty of company.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions for things to check out on a May/June NCM delivery return trip?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggestions for things to check out on a May/June NCM delivery return trip?