Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Denver Snow in April?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Kelly3s
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denver Snow in April?

Question for Denver Corvette owners:

We are traveling out west this spring in our RV and with our Corvette.
I would like to try to be in Denver the week of April 13th.
Can any long time locals tell me if that is too early for the Corvette to be out ?
In other words, are the lower elevation areas of the Denver still snowy with salted roads?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:28 AM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It just depends. Last year we didn't get any snow and then in late April / May there were quite a few storms.

When it does snow, Denver proper really only gets a dusting that melts away the same or next day. If you don't like the weather in denver just wait 10 minutes. It will change.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:52 AM
5280Racer
Drifting

it really depends as Erich said... but most of us were driving our cars that time!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 AM
34RedRage
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have lived in Denver for 53 years. I have seen 3' of snow in April....
Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 PM
His93C4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You pays your money and you takes your chances. If it's snowy, don't drive it. But there is a good chance it will be beautiful and almost as good a chance that it will be rainy or snowy. We can get snow at any time and in any month. I have seen the chain laws in effect on July 4th and had fireworks delayed by snow. Bring it and drive it like you stole it.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

It is a definitely flip the coin for April. I told my wife I'd like to try to get a late March or early April C7 delivery and she shook her head and said too bad you wan't be able to pick it up and drive home. Now with that having been said, I bet the weather will be terrific. on second thought, I won't bet. If you are towing the Corvette, then problem solved. If weather is nice, then drive it and enjoy the great mountain roads. If the weather is not so nice, then your corvette will love you for leaving it on the tow.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:38 PM
BoulderVette
Advanced

As other's have said you never know. Colorado doesn't use much salt, but they do use sand, and liquid de/anti-icer's which tend to stick to the surface and cause dirt to do the same. There are plenty of winter days here one can drive a Vette, but that's generally why they tend to stay in the garage until April. In general though that's when you usually start to see them. Big snows in April are rare. In general the surfaces have been cleaned, are warmer, and don't need much treatment. It's a pretty safe bet you'll be fine, but no guarantee's. Still I wouldn't hesitate to bring your Vette.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Kelly3s
Cruising

Originally Posted by BoulderVette
As other's have said you never know. Colorado doesn't use much salt, but they do use sand, and liquid de/anti-icer's which tend to stick to the surface and cause dirt to do the same. There are plenty of winter days here one can drive a Vette, but that's generally why they tend to stay in the garage until April. In general though that's when you usually start to see them. Big snows in April are rare. In general the surfaces have been cleaned, are warmer, and don't need much treatment. It's a pretty safe bet you'll be fine, but no guarantee's. Still I wouldn't hesitate to bring your Vette.
Thanks everyone for giving time to post. We think it is best to just wait a bit longer for our Denver visit. Since we have a choice.
Stlll looking forward to our second visit to the area (and getting 'hot dogs' at Biker Jim's)
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It was so nice out today that I took my Challenger out for a little spin. It was the first time since last October, you just never know about Denver weather.

Denver does not use sand or gravel anymore because of air quality issues, they are using salt mined in Redmond Utah. It has a little red Utah clay mixed in but is mostly pure salt.http://www.iceslicer.com/redmond-mine/

The liquid deicer Denver uses is magnesium chloride and it is also very corrosive.

Last edited by RAMMAN; 02-16-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:35 PM
BoulderVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by RAMMAN
It was so nice out today that I took my Challenger out for a little spin. It was the first time since last October, you just never know about Denver weather.

Denver does not use sand or gravel anymore because of air quality issues, they are using salt mined in Redmond Utah. It has a little red Utah clay mixed in but is mostly pure salt.http://www.iceslicer.com/redmond-mine/

The liquid deicer Denver uses is magnesium chloride and it is also very corrosive.

Very nice!

Yea, I left out that little charming bit about the mag chloride's corrosive nature. I'm pretty sure Boulder still uses sand though. There's plenty of it on the street in front of my house which is shaded all winter long. It sticks to the mag chloride "treated" tires and is just delightful to hear in one's wheel wells. Not.

To the OP June is my favorite month on the Front Range. It's as green as it gets, and the mountains are still white. The contrast makes them look spectacular. But if your looking for a spirited drive on public roads, then go north my friend. Wyoming has some of the most open roads in America. The twisty bits in Colorado tend to get a bit crowded unless your there on weekdays, which you can probably do.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Kelly3s
Cruising

Thanks again for all the advice. We actually decided to come that way towards the end of April after all.
Since Wyoming and Montana is the destination, we figured our chances there for good weather is better than traveling through the northern states.
I guess if the weather gets bad, we will just get out the bikes.

Get notified of new replies

To Denver Snow in April?

Quick Reply: Denver Snow in April?