Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Can anyone in CO fix my aftermarket HUD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:36 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Default Can anyone in CO fix my aftermarket HUD?

I bought a HUD from gmpartshouse.com.

Installed, which required cutting one of the mounting points off the projector, so I assume I cannot return it at this point.

Long story short, it's installed, I've double-checked the wiring, and it doesn't work.

Does anyone know a place in CO that could possibly fix this? I now have a nice expensive HUD in my dash that doesn't work. I don't know if its a faulty projector, wiring, or what.

Any help would be appreciated.

Warning to anyone buying an aftermarket HUD. Think twice before buying. I've got a pretty serious case of buyer's remorse on this mod.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 05:42 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

So this isn't a GM HUD?

I added a GM C5 HUD to my 02 about 8 years ago. I had to cut the dash, add the switch, add the wiring harness, and mount the projector. I just plugged it in and it worked.

Originally Posted by scottycards
I bought a HUD from gmpartshouse.com.

Installed, which required cutting one of the mounting points off the projector, so I assume I cannot return it at this point.

Long story short, it's installed, I've double-checked the wiring, and it doesn't work.

Does anyone know a place in CO that could possibly fix this? I now have a nice expensive HUD in my dash that doesn't work. I don't know if its a faulty projector, wiring, or what.

Any help would be appreciated.

Warning to anyone buying an aftermarket HUD. Think twice before buying. I've got a pretty serious case of buyer's remorse on this mod.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

Not sure if it's GM or not, got it from gmpartshouse.

Once it's in there, getting it out is no small deal, and continuing to scotch lock the factory wires over and over isn't appealing to me- it just degrades the insulation, and increases chances for shorting.

But to make the install easier, many of the instructions say to cut the housing "eyes" for the mounting points. So I've modified the projector, and I'm thinking they're not going to want to take it back.

It's not really a mod that can be readily undone, nor is it really serviceable. I guess I'm the unlucky guy for whom it didn't work.

Just a heads-up (pun intended) to those considering- knowing what I know now, I'd skip this mod. You end up cutting your dash, and splicing wires with scotch-locks. If something doesn't work, you're kinda up a creek.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:18 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Is this a C6? If so I shouldn't have replied.

With the C5 there is no splicing.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

Yep, C6. Sorry, should have included that info.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 AM
op z
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 128 Posts

If you have absolutely no power, it is most likely a loose or poor connection. Did you use the wire taps provided in the kit? If so you need to make sure the wire ythat you are tapping into is propoerly situated in the tap to operate properly. If you inspect your harness and there are no broken wires and all the connectors are properly seated, that is the most likely problem. It is very easy to take the front of the IP off and check your connections.

Get notified of new replies

To Can anyone in CO fix my aftermarket HUD?

Quick Reply: Can anyone in CO fix my aftermarket HUD?