Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Colorado emissions - a complete joke

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:10 AM
vette 99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pure emissions Hell. My clients are experiencing the exact same problems. They pass the Tail Pipe with our Tune with Flying Colors, but they are Failed on "Equipment" because of the "Mini Cats". Kooks introduced their "Green Cat" at Sema 2012. It is the same size, and is 49 State Certified. That is an option, but Kooks has been unwilling just to sell the Cats, and they want you to send in the Y Pipe so they can weld them in. If its not their Y pipe, tough luck. I have been working with Nick and Anthony at American Racing, and their New Cats are becoming available. I have a C5 & C6 Center Section arriving here today for testing. We currently have 38 Corvette's in Shop right now, 9 are for emissions........either comply or go home
Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

"Program History

The DOR Motor Vehicle Emissions Section was formed in 1981 in order to comply with federal requirements. DOR has been managing the Colorado Air Inspection and Readjustment (AIR) Program in conjunction with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) since July 1, 1981.

Over the years, the vehicle emissions program has gone through significant changes. Originally, the program included the counties of Boulder, Denver, Douglas, Jefferson, and parts of Adams, Arapahoe, El Paso and Larimer counties. In January 1988, the metropolitan area of Greeley, within Weld County, was included. On November 15, 2001 Broomfield County was established and included in the existing AIR Program. Despite the classification as a new county, all vehicles were previously included in the program area.

In August of 2004, the Clean Screen (RapidScreen) program was added as an alternative to conventional testing. The clean screen element of the Inspection and Maintenance (IM) Program uses Remote Sensing Device (RSD) systems to measure tailpipe emissions while a vehicle is being operated on the road. Those vehicle owners meeting the clean screen criteria are notified via the registration renewal card and may thereby bypass the conventional emissions test.

In February of 2005, the Air Quality Control Commission (AQCC) voted to discontinue the basic gasoline emissions program in Larimer, El Paso, and Weld counties. The basic area emissions program was terminated on January 1, 2007. Also, in October 2007, the AQCC promulgated rules to implement a high emitter identification pilot program. The high emitter program utilized clean screen technology to identify gross polluting vehicles. The high emitter pilot program was implemented in December 2007 and was terminated in April 2010.

In December of 2008, the AQCC reinstated the counties of Larimer and Weld into the enhanced emissions program. SB09-003 further expanded the boundaries of the regulatory changes made by the AQCC. The expansion of the Northern Front Range program was implemented on November 1, 2010."

Well, at least living in El Paso county we are exempt for the present time. Still a bummer though for you guys who pass but fail on a visual. Confirms my thoughts that a SC install is the best way to wake these cars up and that is what I will be doing in 2 years.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I think you're right on the SC. I'd like to just do the headers now, but I don't want to stress over not passing the visual. Bummer.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:08 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by petsur
I think you're right on the SC. I'd like to just do the headers now, but I don't want to stress over not passing the visual. Bummer.
Headers won't be an issue. I have them on my car and that was the least of their worries. lol

bastards..
Old 06-19-2013, 05:01 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AZZ-KIKR
Headers won't be an issue. I have them on my car and that was the least of their worries. lol

bastards..
So you passed visual with headers and replacement cats?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Cspahn
Instructor

Damn! Out for our money! I have headers and slp catback i hope i pass!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 PM
C5fourj
Instructor

Couldn't get mine thru the visual, headers, hi-flow cats and Z06 NPP mufflers on a 2007 with 2500 miles on it. So I contacted a friend in Wyoming and used his address, changed the title, $14.00, new plates for $200. they will renew by sending to my home address in Brighton.
No more revenue for Colorado, ever!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Heck, what would I expect from a government that charges a rainwater tax!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

A rainwater tax, seriously?

Heck, what would I expect from a government that charges a rainwater tax!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:35 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7LitreC5
A rainwater tax, seriously?
Yes sir. Adams county. My bill this year was $753.00 for the rainwater tax only.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

That's nuts! I have never heard of such a thing.

Yes sir. Adams county. My bill this year was $753.00 for the rainwater tax only.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

So you passed visual with headers and replacement cats?
Yes. I have had headers and hi flow cats on this car since 2003. It was also a CA car and it passed their stringent laws, just like we have here now..
Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AZZ-KIKR

BUT, if I capture the rainwater in a water barrel, I'd be sent to jail. Colorado is the only state in the country where it's illegal to capture rainwater.

Did you pass the visual check in Colorado??
Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

I just spoke to someone at Kooks about their EPA certified cats and then called Clean Air Colorado to validate.

I guess Kooks has taken the time to receive EPA certification on their cats and Clean Air Colorado says they are a valid replacement as long as:

1-you replace the proper number of cats (replace 2 with 2)
2-they're located in the same position

I called PFADT and they are not going to get EPA certification at this time.

Can anyone validate the cat location w/headers??

Pete
Old 06-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Cspahn
Instructor

I just spoke to someone at Kooks about their EPA certified cats and then called Clean Air Colorado to validate.

I guess Kooks has taken the time to receive EPA certification on their cats and Clean Air Colorado says they are a valid replacement as long as:

1-you replace the proper number of cats (replace 2 with 2)
2-they're located in the same position

I called PFADT and they are not going to get EPA certification at this time.

Can anyone validate the cat location w/headers??

Pete
Nice research!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

BUT, if I capture the rainwater in a water barrel, I'd be sent to jail. Colorado is the only state in the country where it's illegal to capture rainwater.

Did you pass the visual check in Colorado??
Sounds like horsesh!t..

Anyhoo, yes, two posts above. I have never had issues with visual inspection the 4 times we had to take it.. Headers were the least of their worries..

They did question the egr pump, etc. Builder just told them we moved it up under the front bumper and they couldn't see it.. This was WITH the egr header tubes blocked off in PLAIN sight.. durrrrrr

Dumbsh!ts..

Nothing is consistent and it just depends which tool you run into at these facilities.. Mine will never go back.

Get notified of new replies

To Colorado emissions - a complete joke

Old 06-21-2013, 04:09 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have to pass the vans 2x in a ~6month period with a pass. then your new reg notice card will say needs emmission or not needed. i try to go threw them if i see them even if its out of the way.

i just put some LS7 exhaust on my car. the cats were empty so i installed magnaflow cats, hard to see and no markings for aftermaket... with a little header wrap they hopefully not give me issues... IF they do i have the OEM C6 cats i guess i will dummy in and flange for a X-pipe if i do. I also have the C5 stockers maybe i can modify to fit the new LS7 exhaust to pass..

100% agreed, you can get lucky and have some dip shyt who is more impressed with the car then looking for things he is supposed to.. I work near one where they are a little more "country" and dont look to hard... i know where i will have my tested. the one in loveland/Ft collins has some by the book betty's i hear. so i will not be going there. well... my car is over 8yrs old so i guess i dont have anything to worry about.

I do have my stock H-Pipe (tail end cut off) if someone needs it for the cats..

S

Last edited by RedZMonte; 06-21-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

When I spoke with Clean Air Colo the guy claimed if you pass the sniffer, they won't do the under car visual.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 AM
Dannywg
Intermediate

Hey guys I can vouch for being the guinea pig for the kooks green cats. Rich from Corvette connections knows the nightmare I was going through. I failed 6 times, even with a gallon of denatured alcohol. I passed with flying colors with the green cats. My setup is procharger d1sc,kooks racing headers, kooks coiled, borla exhaust,373 gears,3600 rpm stall. 1997 c5. They didn't even question my visual, but with my gears and stall the drivers on the rollers were in the red half the test, even after I got the new cats the test driver drove like crap but I passed with flying colors. What rich is saying about kooks only selling the cats already welded into h pipes is true and kooks tried lying to me and told me the new cats wouldn't fit my old kooks headers/xpipe setup by theirself, well they did and they work great, and no codes yet after 2 months on a daily driver. Oh, I was able to only find 1 place in the country that carried only the green cats without pipes and that was Colorado speed, and I got them on sale. Don't ask Colorado speed for size suggestion because they have NO CLUE, they just sell, so I had the tech at kooks tell me the size of inlet/outlet needed and part number. The tech at kooks was really helpful but the salesman would only sell me the combo of pipes and cats, and said cats couldn't fit my setup,bs. I don't know if Colorado speed still has any but if they do, they work well. Just have local muffler shop or Corvette shop that does welding put them in, as its a cheap easy weld job. Also sorry rich if you read this as I haven't been in yet for my new tune for this elevation, as I've been very broke lately. Rich find out how Colorado speed is getting their green cats by themselves, as I think your an authorized kooks dealer and it wouldn't be right if kooks is only selling them solo to 1 dealer. When I got mine I couldn't find any other kooks dealer that could get them by themselves without pipes. Anyways guys we know there's hope if my car finally passed. Since mine passed soleanly, I'm wondering if an agressive cam could pass with these cats. Email me your phone number and I can text over the pic of my pre green cat emissions and after green cat emissions as I can't figure out how to attach it on here as its in my phone pics.

Quick Reply: Colorado emissions - a complete joke