Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Quick question for Colorado members

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:50 PM
fright88
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question for Colorado members

May be a stupid question but can anyone tell me if long tube headers are legal in CO? Thinking about getting a set eventually.

Also while I am at it what exhaust do you all have? I am wanting to hear some exhaust setups locally before I order. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 PM
boostedj
Instructor

No need to worry about emisions in Colorado. As of Jan. 1 Colorado emisions are gone. The bill passed a few months ago.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Link?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:25 PM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boostedj
No need to worry about emisions in Colorado. As of Jan. 1 Colorado emisions are gone. The bill passed a few months ago.
You sure about that? My brother lives in Denver and he still gets his car registered up here so he does not need to worry about emmissions. Are you maybe meaning as of Jan 1st 2007?

As I see it, it is still required.
http://www.aircarecolorado.com/requires.htm

Last edited by MartyW; 10-18-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:20 AM
snappy28
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I also heard that emissions tests will be going away. I remember a guy at one of the shops I go to telling me that.

Go to this link and research your legal question: http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext...=templates&2.0 Look under Art. 4 I could not find anything specific about headers, but it could be written in some of the emissions statutes on modifying emissions equipment. It could also fall under 42-4-225 Mufflers - Prevention of Noise where it talks about modifying exhaust to make it louder.

In any case it's your decision, but if I knew I was going to stay in CO I would be getting headers.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Cornfed
Pro

I just did it so I'm ok for the next 2 years (now I can mod). The guy before me in line had on LS1 with LT's, H/C, WITH CATS and he passed. Tucson was easy they just checked for codes and your out.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:55 AM
fright88
Safety Car

Whanks for the replies. I will be doing mods slowly but I think long tubes are in my car's future
Old 10-19-2006, 11:51 AM
boulderlt4
Safety Car

I don't think they are getting rid of emissions testing.

I do believe that you will no longer have to go to the testing centers, as long as you pass the new Rapid Screen.

Instead they using those mobile testing centers, Rapid Screen. You see them on the on ramps all over the place. When you drive by them they test you. If you drive by twice before your emissions is up, they won't send you a notice, unless you don't pass.

This is how I understood it anyway...

http://www.aircarecolorado.com/rapidscreen/index.html

An alternative to standard emissions testing, RapidScreen gives you the opportunity to have your vehicle’s emissions screened as you drive, rather than having to visit an emissions testing facility. If you record two clean RapidScreen readings within a ten-month window in the year prior to your registration renewal, you’ll receive a notification in the mail on your vehicle’s registration renewal card. If you choose to accept RapidScreen’s clean readings, simply pay your emissions fee along with your registration renewal fee, and you’re good to go. If you wish not to participate, you’ll need to receive a standard emissions test at your local testing facility—in which case your emissions fee would be due at the time of that test.

To ensure accurate and uncontaminated readings, the emissions limits for RapidScreen are stricter than those of a standard tailpipe emissions test. Therefore, it’s possible to fail a RapidScreen test, but still be able to pass emissions at an Air Care Colorado testing facility. If your vehicle fails to meet RapidScreen’s strict qualifications, the need for a standard emissions test will be indicated on your registration renewal card.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:03 PM
willyv
Intermediate

Thought it was too good to be true.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:14 PM
boulderlt4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fright88
May be a stupid question but can anyone tell me if long tube headers are legal in CO? Thinking about getting a set eventually.

Also while I am at it what exhaust do you all have? I am wanting to hear some exhaust setups locally before I order. Thanks for any help.
Back to the initial question,,,

I have LT headers, and I recently passed emissions
Old 10-20-2006, 10:56 AM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boulderlt4
I don't think they are getting rid of emissions testing.

I do believe that you will no longer have to go to the testing centers, as long as you pass the new Rapid Screen.

Instead they using those mobile testing centers, Rapid Screen. You see them on the on ramps all over the place. When you drive by them they test you. If you drive by twice before your emissions is up, they won't send you a notice, unless you don't pass.

This is how I understood it anyway...

http://www.aircarecolorado.com/rapidscreen/index.html
Rapidscreen applies to some counties, it isn't a statewide program. And it is also my understanding the statewide testing requirement ends Jan 1 '07. I've heard this from the operator of a test station as well as serveral other places, I'm pretty sure it's true but I don't have any references.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Originally Posted by boostedj

Really? whats your proof?

Cause Im still using my Michigan plates.

no emmision on my 79.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:22 PM
boulderlt4
Safety Car

I just received this email back from the Media lady at Envirotest Systems.

Hello Dave,

Emissions testing in the seven-county Denver area is not ending, but inspections in the North Front Range (Greeley/Ft. Collins area) and in the Colorado Springs areas are ending on January 1. We expect that the emissions program in the Denver area will be around for a few more years.

Regards,

Renee Allen

Envirotest Systems Corp.

303-456-7025

Renee.allen@esph.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 10:12 AM
To: Allen, Renee
Subject: Emissions Testing

Renee,

Is there any truth to the rumor that emissions testing requirements end Jan. 1 '07?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Quick question for Colorado members

Quick Reply: Quick question for Colorado members