Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sink Hole in Corvette Museum swallowed 8 Corvettes

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/S...245188261.html
Old 02-12-2014, 11:44 AM
BigAl5611
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad! Hope they can retreive the cars.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:49 AM
20Z0602
Instructor

Wow! Glad no one was hurt. What is causing all these sink holes lately?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Camaro4life18
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 20Z0602
Wow! Glad no one was hurt. What is causing all these sink holes lately?
Well the NCM is only like 40 miles north of one of the largest caves in north america. There are underground rivers all over that area, sink holes are not a new thing for that region of Kentucky.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:19 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Just saw this on Fox news....damnit...I'm very upset! I am at the museum every year for the bash, and then some. Very unfortunate location for it to happen. They said that hole is 50+ feet! That's gotta be eerie as hell...
Old 02-12-2014, 01:01 PM
20Z0602
Instructor

Gotcha. Thank you for the information.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:02 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Who did the site work their? Their was clearly utilities below the floor slab.What a shame! Lucky no lose of life!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:46 PM
tey1967
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Who did the site work their? Their was clearly utilities below the floor slab.What a shame! Lucky no lose of life!
Pretty sure in this case this was a surprise and no one is at fault. Sinkholes can appear anywhere.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:07 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I imagine that land was surveyed and tested prior to construction, but I would have to imagine that the possibility of fault might cross someones mind. It's tough, in that area, given the high occurrence of sink holes.

I was in those Diamond Caverns, when I was at the bash last year....there's some serious waterways and caves in those parts. A sinkhole developed over on the motorsports part site last year I think but they said it was no biggie.

Hopefully they'll get through this...I have been working on my car all winter in prep for the bash, then cruise in Aug!
Old 02-12-2014, 06:50 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Damn - that is huge! If you look closely at the helicopter drone videos, the sinkhole has multiple levels extending below where the cars have landed.

That is not a new sinkhole; it has been there for ages. Perhaps the upper level is relatively new, but that deep and large an extent of limestone erosion in the lower levels takes ages to occur. A deep boring or ground penetrating radar survey during the building design should have shown the problem.

The video shows the floor beyond the perimeter of the hole and the central support column of the building being undermined. With the extent of the hole going below the level of the initial collapse, it will be very difficult if not impossible to backfill and stabilize.

I hate to say it, but my (educated and experienced) guess is that the wing and maybe the entire building will need to be condemned. A real tragedy for the Corvette community.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Dodenhoff
Advanced

Default Maintain the last car as an archiological site

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Damn - that is huge! If you look closely at the helicopter drone videos, the sinkhole has multiple levels extending below where the cars have landed.

That is not a new sinkhole; it has been there for ages. Perhaps the upper level is relatively new, but that deep and large an extent of limestone erosion in the lower levels takes ages to occur. A deep boring or ground penetrating radar survey during the building design should have shown the problem.

The video shows the floor beyond the perimeter of the hole and the central support column of the building being undermined. With the extent of the hole going below the level of the initial collapse, it will be very difficult if not impossible to backfill and stabilize.

I hate to say it, but my (educated and experienced) guess is that the wing and maybe the entire building will need to be condemned. A real tragedy for the Corvette community. :(
Keep the Corvette Cave as an attraction with the last car partly in the mud. Maybe Huffington is right saying its a sign from heaven.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:33 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodenhoff
Keep the Corvette Cave as an attraction with the last car partly in the mud. Maybe Huffington is right saying its a sign from heaven.
Interesting idea. The Museum can also construct a building that goes over the hole that you can walk into and view the hole from above. Just like the USS Arizona where people actually died and are still entombed. Not saying a car is as important as a person, well, to some it is.

The Museum can have pictures on the walls showing what it looked like before the hole and just loop the security video over and over so people who have no internet access can see it collapse.

It could be a great revenue stream for the gift shop in selling shirts to help pay for it all. A shirt that depicts a picture of the last car partly in mud with the skies opening up above and a slogan such as "C4 - Divine Intervention". Huffington Post may have something there.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by tey1967
Pretty sure in this case this was a surprise and no one is at fault. Sinkholes can appear anywhere.
Sorry but,someone could be at fault.Coulda,woulda,shoulda tested deeper.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...rvette-museum/
Old 02-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by tuxnharley

I hate to say it, but my (educated and experienced) guess is that the wing and maybe the entire building will need to be condemned. A real tragedy for the Corvette community.
I have a feeling you may be correct. I would not be surprised if that section of the NCM or even more than just that section is never used again....
Time will tell. We'll see...
Old 03-06-2014, 03:29 PM
map351
Racer

They all out or 3 left?

Get notified of new replies

To Sink Hole in Corvette Museum swallowed 8 Corvettes

Search this Thread