New Style Lug Nuts, Locking Lug Nuts, Old Lug Nuts - PHOTOS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 10:17 PM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default New Style Lug Nuts, Locking Lug Nuts, Old Lug Nuts - PHOTOS!!!!

As requested here are photos of the new style lug nuts, new style locking lug nuts, and old style lug nuts.

The first photo: from left to right = the old lug nut with plastic cap, the new chrome capped lug nut, the new locking lug nut, and the new locking lug nut wrench.

The second photo: a high polished wheel with an old style lug nut, 3 new style lug nuts, and the new locking lug nut.

We have the old style lug nuts and covers in stock, the new style lug nuts, and the new locking lug nuts - ALL ON SALE!

Call Bob or Tom at 406-628-4121 to place an order.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:27 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: New Style Lug Nuts, Locking Lug Nuts, Old Lug Nuts - PHOTOS!!!! (Ken Fichtner)

Looks like the McGard set I have on my car. Did they license to GM?
Old 03-27-2002, 12:19 PM
HTWHLS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: New Style Lug Nuts, Locking Lug Nuts, Old Lug Nuts - PHOTOS!!!! (Ken Fichtner)

Ken,

With the chrome cap lugnut...these caps are pressed on...what size are they when the chrome cap comes off?

I have the same type on my Dodge Ram....the chrome metal cap cap off the lugnut...the lugwrench did not fit the lug without the chrome cap.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Default Re: New Style Lug Nuts, Locking Lug Nuts, Old Lug Nuts - PHOTOS!!!! (HTWHLS)

Ditto on all of the GM versions I have had of these lugnuts. I was so glad when I bought my 86 Vette that it had the plastic caps. These things are really bad when the cap comes off and the nut is recessed in a hole in the wheel. The other thing I suffered from with the previous version of these lug nuts was some sort of Galvanic Corrosion between the lug nut and the wheel. The two would become one part. Even my air wrench couldn't get the nut off. Then the cap came off from all the stress. The tire dealer had to assign two men to get the nut off. One pounded a socket onto the unusual size nut then both stood on a 4 foot long piece of pipe slipped over a Snap On breaker bar and then jumped several times. When the nut broke loose it sounded like a rifle shot. This was on a nut that had only been torqued to 60 ft. lbs.
Bill
Old 03-29-2002, 03:38 AM
aces
Melting Slicks

Default Re: New Style Lug Nuts, Locking Lug Nuts, Old Lug Nuts - PHOTOS!!!! (C5inNY)

It's not Ken's fault these lugnuts come apart.
The aftermarket makes solid ones. :cheers:
Old 03-29-2002, 01:44 PM
6SHIFTIN
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken do you know what date the new ones were introduced into production. I am still waiting on mine as it is still in transit and it was built March 18, 19 and/or 20th, right around the date you advised us of the rolling change. What is the price of a new set from your parts group?
Old 03-30-2002, 12:17 AM
01Pewter
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
CI-X Auto-X Champ (street tires)
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner

What is the cost for the new style lug nuts and new style locking lug nuts?
Old 03-30-2002, 11:48 AM
BLKBLUR
Racer

I really like the look of the new chrome nuts. Having an 2002, am I correct that GM will change these lugs at no charge under the warranty? If so, I think I may pay my dealer a visit!!

Thanks Ken :D
Old 03-31-2002, 02:58 AM
LindaC5
Drifting

Default Re: New Style Lug Nuts, Locking Lug Nuts, Old Lug Nuts - PHOTOS!!!! (01Pewter)

What is the cost for the new style lug nuts and new style locking lug nuts?
I'd like to know, too please! :)
Old 03-31-2002, 11:43 AM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: New Style Lug Nuts, Locking Lug Nuts, Old Lug Nuts - PHOTOS!!!! (LindaC5)

Hello and thanks for your replies.

I don't believe that GM/Chevrolet will cover replacing your lug nuts with the new style under warranty. This is simply a running production change. Warranty only covers items that fail during the warranty period.

Have a happy holiday weekend,

Ken
Old 04-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't want the new "McGuard" type locking nuts...not because they not effective...they are very effective, the problem is that unless you stand over the guy who removes your wheels they will always grab an air wrench. I once had them ruin my McGuard lock key (on my Z28) because they used an air wrench on it instead of removing it by hand. At least the "Gorilla" type locking nuts and keys can be used with an air wrench. Just my 2 cents worth.

[Modified by Mark S., 8:20 AM 4/4/2002]
Old 04-07-2002, 12:41 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

WOW, new lug nuts!

It's great to finally find out what the GM engineers have been doing all this time instead of fixing rocking seats, faulty column locks, etc. etc. :lol:

Just what we all needed, aftermarket nuts we could buy on our own, IF we wanted them. Incredible!

Get notified of new replies

To New Style Lug Nuts, Locking Lug Nuts, Old Lug Nuts - PHOTOS!!!!