Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default EI07238-Fuel Cap May Not Seal, MIL/SES, DTC P0442 and/or P0455

EI07238 — Fuel Cap May Not Seal, MIL/SES Light Illuminated with DTC P0442–Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected and/or P0455– Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Large Leak Detected

Models: 2005 Buick Rainier
2005 Cadillac STS
2005–2006 Cadillac XLR, XLR-V
2004 Chevrolet Express
2005–2006 Chevrolet Corvette
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2004 GMC Savana
2005 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XUV
2004–2005 Pontiac GTO
2004 Saturn ION
2004–2005 Saturn VUE
with 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.3L, 2.8L, 3.5L, 4.2L, 4.4L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.7L, 6.0L or 7.0L Engine
(VINs 4, A, D, E, F, G, S, U, V — RPOs LJ3, LC3, L61, LK9, LP9, L66, LH2, LL8, LR4, LS1, LS2, LS7)

Attention: Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number
is listed in GMVIS. If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in
GMVIS, disregard the bulletin and proceed with diagnostics found in the published Service Information.
THIS IS NOT A RECALL—refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053A for more detail on the use of Engineering
Information Bulletins.
________________________________________ ____________________________________
This bulletin is being revised to add additional models and model years and new contact information.
Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-04-022A (Section 06 — Engine/Propulsion System)
________________________________________ ___________________________________
Condition
Some customers may comment on a Service Engine Soon (SES) Light illuminated on the IP cluster and the fuel cap does not seal or tighten. Technicians
may find DTC P0442 and/or P0455 set.

What Action to Take
GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause for fuel caps not sealing and/or setting codes P0442 or P0455. GM Engineering has a need to
obtain information first hand from the dealer technician during diagnosis and before repair. As a result, this information will be used by engineering to "root
cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix. Please follow the instructions below regarding the requested information.

Instructions
Important: If a vehicle is encountered with the above concern, complete the following steps; making sure all the information is documented on the Repair
Order.

1. Verify that the VIN and mileage is accurate.
2. Accurately document the customers concern. If the SES light is illuminated, record the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) using a Tech 2®.
• If DTC P0442 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected is stored, proceed to diagnosis DTC P0442 in SI.
• If DTC P0455 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Large Leak Detected is stored, proceed to diagnosis DTC P0455 in SI.
• If diagnostics lead to repair other components not related to the fuel tank filler pipe neck or fuel cap, repair accordingly and disregard this bulletin.
3. If the diagnostics lead to a leak at the fuel tank filler pipe neck or the fuel cap area, inspect for the following conditions:
• Inspect the condition of the fuel cap by looking for small cracks or any damaged components.
• Inspect the fuel cap seal for distortion or cuts.
• Inspect the fuel filler neck sealing surface for gouges or dents produced accidentally by a fuel nozzle.
4. Contact the appropriate GM Engineer once the vehicle has been diagnosed and before repairing the vehicle for further instructions.
Engineer Contact Information

Contact the appropriate GM Engineer from the list below before repairing the vehicle. GM Engineer Shannon Fahy may be used as a secondary contact. GM Engineering may visit dealerships near the Southwest Michigan area. In either case, you will receive a response back within 2 hours on what action to take the same day of your call (Eastern Daylight Time).

Warranty Information

Important: DO NOT use the labor operation listed below if engineering did not respond.

For vehicles repaired under engineering direction, use: Labor Operation Description Labor Time
L9714* Engineering Information-Fuel Cap and Filler Pipe – Replace
Corvette/XLR 1.8 hrs
Express/Savana 0.8 hr
GTO 0.7 hr
Envoy/Rainier/ TrailBlazer/VUE 1.0 hr
STS/ION 1.4 hrs
*This labor operation number is for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 PM
portmgr198
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just started having this problem! I've been noticing that my gas cap doesnt always seem to close or tighten. I also rcvd a check fuel cap warning on the DIC. I havent had time to go to the dealer yet, but will soon. Thanks for the info. I thought I was crazy!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 AM
bobkaluza
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bob

Yes, a gas cap!! I too have a gas cap that will not seal, I am taking the car to the dealer right now and was VERY surprised that the gas cap failed!!

Last night I tried to understand how to remove the failed gas cap off and I can't see how to get it off. So I will head to the Chevy dealer.

A gas cap --- surprised me!!

Get notified of new replies

To EI07238-Fuel Cap May Not Seal, MIL/SES, DTC P0442 and/or P0455

Quick Reply: EI07238-Fuel Cap May Not Seal, MIL/SES, DTC P0442 and/or P0455