Intros New Corvetteforum member introductions & welcomes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potentially a future owner. Wanting to get back into the "hobby"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 03:44 PM
itBurns
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potentially a future owner. Wanting to get back into the "hobby"

I'm new to the forum, and am not a Corvette owner as of yet. I'm currently [stuck] in a 2012 Honda Civic Coupe lease that doesn't end till May of 2015, so I have time to read and learn. Taking this year to pay off some outstanding debt and save some cash for a down payment, or towards a winter beater.

When the time comes to turn in the Honda, I'll be looking for a used C6 (Probably 08+ base model as I prefer to go with the LS3 platform over the LS2). Initially I was thinking about going with a Nissan 370Z, however, I keep thinking about the fun I have with my old GTO, and how much I love the LS platform, I can't help but keep thinking a C6 is the way to go.

My neighbor bought an '07 C6 Convertible that was lightly modded (Exhaust & Intake) and let me take it out for a spin. It felt great to be back behind the wheel of an LS powered vehicle .. and the feel of driving a 'Vette is truly awesome!

A little about my motorized vehicle past ... when I was 16 I was bit hard by the mod bug before I even owned a car. Worked as much as I could and bought myself a new model [leftover] (2005 at the time) Hyundai Tiburon GT.

Being as I was 16, I went through a rice stage adding altezza tails and lambo doors, then kinda toned it back and left the body kit, lambos and some 18" wheels...

...But the motor wasn't pretty..

and buy the time I finished it and sold it, the car looked like this:

This was the end result before I sold it...

So, reason I sold it was that I was now about 20 years old and after all that money into the Tiburon, it was still a slow car. I wanted RWD, and I wanted muscle so I bought a used 2004 Pontiac GTO. Again, jumped right into modding it - bought Stainless Works long tube headers, Billet Pro short throw shifter, SLP LM1 exhaust, New Era intake, and some other stuff ... I also had a cam waiting to go in it that New Era Performance was going to install.

However, before I installed the cam, I pulled the trigger on getting a motorcycle and the GTO got put to the wayside.

(CBR900RR with a custom sub-frame that fitted a GSXR1000 tail, and single sided swingarm from a VFR)

Rode that for a season, decided I wanted a FI bike, so I got an 06' ZX6R 636. Did a lot of work to that bike over the winter only to find out that the engine was on its way out the door.

So I ditched the 636 fast and decided to go new with a 2012 Kawasaki Z1000

I then lost 75lbs, and joined the military so I sold my bike and my car. However, after 4 weeks of BMT, a pre-existing injury presented itself and they sent me back home.

When I got home, bikes were still my focus so I leased my Honda Civic for just a daily driver (sigh), and bought a 2007 Yamaha R6

Well, I love motorcycle racing, but primarily MotoGP (Go MM93!) and dumped ridiculous money into the R6 to convert it to a Rossi Replica from the old Yammy days

My primary riding style is hitting mountain roads, dragging knee. Love it .. I also bought a 2013 Kawasaki 300 to convert to a Track-Only bike, however, after purchasing all my track gear, I decided against it - I decided I want to get back into cars. So come Spring, I'll be selling the R6 and keeping the 300, and again, using the R6 money towards debt and preparing for the 2015 season when I can actually get a nice car again.

Sooooo, yeah, that's my automotive background for the last 9 years ... looking forward to learning more about the C6 and baring any unforeseen issues, look forward to owning one in 1 year!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:30 PM
427 Pilot
Safety Car

Welcome to CF
Old 01-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Eric ray
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome
Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 PM
2010BlueGS
Melting Slicks

Welcome to the forum from So Cal !!!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

We are here to help you! Welcome to CF from snowy Indy! Awesome sport bikes too.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:29 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice toys! welcome to the forum!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 AM
guappy
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome
Old 01-06-2014, 03:18 PM
itBurns
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by gilhuly
Nice toys! welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome, all!

Am not gonna lie, I love my toys! Looking forward to getting a Corvette in the stable.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by itBurns
I'm new to the forum, and am not a Corvette owner as of yet. I'm currently [stuck] in a 2012 Honda Civic Coupe lease that doesn't end till May of 2015, so I have time to read and learn. Taking this year to pay off some outstanding debt and save some cash for a down payment, or towards a winter beater.

When the time comes to turn in the Honda, I'll be looking for a used C6 (Probably 08+ base model as I prefer to go with the LS3 platform over the LS2). Initially I was thinking about going with a Nissan 370Z, however, I keep thinking about the fun I have with my old GTO, and how much I love the LS platform, I can't help but keep thinking a C6 is the way to go.

My neighbor bought an '07 C6 Convertible that was lightly modded (Exhaust & Intake) and let me take it out for a spin. It felt great to be back behind the wheel of an LS powered vehicle .. and the feel of driving a 'Vette is truly awesome!
Welcome aboard!

Great to hear about your automotive background. When the time is right for a 'Vette, please let us know!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Get notified of new replies

To Potentially a future owner. Wanting to get back into the "hobby"

Quick Reply: Potentially a future owner. Wanting to get back into the "hobby"