Intros New Corvetteforum member introductions & welcomes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey all!

Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM
CreativeIndy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey all!

New to the forums so just wanted to say hey. Used this very forum as a base for my search program I wrote to help me figure out which, what, and how in regards to buying my first Corvette. I am 35 years old, I am a Sr. Software Engineer, I have owned and built 442's lately with my latest being a 1970 442 I just finished last week. Finishing this is what prompted the new purchase and what better project than a Corvette.

For reasons of my own I decided on a C3 as the model I would select. Last night I purchased a 1976 as the year for varying reasons but cost and what was available to me were my deciding factors. It appears my car is all original with the optional L82 engine. I have not confirmed this myself as it was dark and it was excessively windy and cold last night in Southern Indiana. Outside of checking for any major rust, frame, or other wise costly damage, optional and numbers matching verification were not checked, only word taken. The man was a Deputy Sheriff so hopefully his word was good. I have reason to believe he was telling the truth as he did not know this, a previous tire kicker who owned several classic Corvette's pointed this out to the man so he pointed it out to me.

Car seems to drive ok and run good, well sort of. It has 109k actual miles on it. Coming from a built 591HP 455 powered 442, I just assumed the light weight 76 Vette would "feel" powerful under acceleration and such due to power to weight. Sadly this isn't the case and I can't even get the car to spin a single tire. Pickup power and seat of the pants dyno mimics a stock Honda Civic...automatic HA. The car seems to run and idle great it could just be a worn out engine situation in that it was pounded on it's entire life. Either way, I have my work cutout for me going forward.

Beginning mods are full exhaust system with headers. I ordered a set of thermal hedman's and a pypes full stainless kit today for it. Searching showed the consensus being that hedman or hookers were the best fit and from what I read crazy easy to instal. Couldn't find much information on header back kit's more specifically the Pypes kit so I guess it's going to be trial and error on it. I also ordered the 2101 Edelbrock intake and some new valve covers since the chrome ones on there now are in bad shape. I ordered a full front steering kit as this car has an excessive amount of side to side action in the steering. The column needs work as it moves all around and I imagine it's the typical torque screws down deep in the column that need to be tightened.

I grabbed a full tune up kit on lunch, ordered all the weather stripping for the car since it is all dry rotted, and some other od's and ends. DIdn't want to go to far until I knew outside of these what else it needs. It may need and entire engine overhaul. If it does my plans are to not go back stock but to build a nice stroker or such for it over the course of winter.

Any advice is graciously welcome and hopefully I can get some good information from you knowledgeable folks.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by CreativeIndy; 10-30-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:52 PM
87C4_4spd
Drifting

Welcome and enjoy the forum! I'm sure you will find helpful information here.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 AM
PlanetZoom
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Congratulations and Welcome!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Welcome and congrats!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:34 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

welcome to the forum!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 AM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Congrats and welcome to the forum. The guys in the C3 sections will gladly help with any questions that you may have.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Yeah 76 was not known as the King of the Hill. Had a bright yellow 76 that got me to FL and beyond on a 10-day land cruise. Was fun to drive.

Maybe alert the moderator and ask that your thread be moved to C3 Discussion or C3 Tech/Performance. That would save a lot of typing. Just click the red triangle located under your Avator info.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 11-04-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 PM
CreativeIndy
Advanced

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
Yeah 76 was not known as the King of the Hill. Had a bright yellow 76 that got me to FL and beyond on a 10-day land cruise. Was fun to drive.

Maybe alert the moderator and ask that your thread be moved to C3 Discussion or C3 Tech/Performance. That would save a lot of typing. Just click the red triangle located under your Avator info.
Not needed. This thread was meant to introduce myself. I as well have a build thread in the C3 Section. Thanks though.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the Forum Brian and congratulations on your 76

Get notified of new replies

To Hey all!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hey all!