In loving memory of lost CorvetteForum Brothers and Sisters Memorials honoring Corvetteforum members lost to death.

lost my father-help honoring him

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 AM
Adidas_23
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost my father-help honoring him

Hi all,
newbie to the forum. long time viewer. I lost my father to Alzheimer's disease a couple of months ago. as many of you know, this is a terrible disease that takes a man away mentally well before their body fails them. my father's favorite item in the world was his '66 stingray. he could fix this car with his eyes closed....unfortunately the last few years he stopped driving for obvious reasons and simply did not know he even had the car at the end. it was very sad and every time I look at this car, i am reminded. it is sitting here and it is about time I paid him and the car the respect it deserves by getting it up and running.

needless to say, the car has not had the normal TLC the last couple of years so I am of need of some help. i replaced the battery and got it out of the garage. the brakes are pretty much shot and need to be bled. I drove it around the block going 10 miles/hour so I could stop, clearly not safe to drive anywhere. it could also use a general tune up.

does anyone know a mechanic in the SF Bay Area that does house calls? It just needs a little TLC, nothing major (I hope) and while I can do some basic things, getting it back to a point of driving it safely down the highway I would rather leave to professionals.

if I should post this somewhere else, please let me know.

thank you in advance,
steve
Old 06-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Otis S.
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Sounds like taking care of his car is a great tribute to him. I would post this in the Northern California Regional Section.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/nort...alifornia-126/

Or the C2 Section.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/

I am sure someone can point you in the right direction.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Steve, Sorry for the loss of your Dad
Sounds like you're not experienced in working on cars and so as is pointed out below, ask in the Northern Calif section for references. Maybe even someone there can come over and get the '66 Stingray back on the road. The brakes are a fairly simple job if it's just the pads. If there's brake pedal fading, the booster and/or brake cylinder may need replacing.
I'm sure you'll find the help you need

Originally Posted by Otis S.
Sorry to hear about your Dad. Sounds like taking care of his car is a great tribute to him. I would post this in the Northern California Regional Section.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/nort...alifornia-126/

I am sure someone can point you in the right direction.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:34 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree w. above posts, but there are also several Corvette clubs in the region that I am certain would be willing to help. They would also welcome you as a member!

Just do a google on them, call or write the prez and ask for some at-home assistance to get the car running safely. Offer to pay something since that would be reasonable on your part, but I would guess that the person or persons coming over to help would do it out of respect for your father and your intentions. That, plus the vast knowledge of some who own this car and work on it regularly.

Having owned a '66 roadster I can say it is a great car. You will love it once you get it going safely. May the good memories diminish the loss of your father to, as you say, this awful disease.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Lucky86
Racer

Please ,please DONT ever sell that car, it was your dads. If you ever need money , work at burger king, or do anything but dont sell it, because you will want it back. I still have my moms 66 GTO ,that she bought new ,and every time i look at it i think of her. Im very sorry for your loss, but im sure your dad is smileing down knowing you are taking an interest in the car.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 AM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Very sorry for your loss.

My father passed away three years ago on my birthday. To 'make it up to me', I decided he could buy me a Vette from the inheritance. He wasn't a car guy but I know it would bring a big smile to his face to say that he say it bought that car for me.

It is nice you will always have those great memories of your father with the car you own.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 AM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You really don't need a Vette expert to get it running and safe. One of the mobile van mechanics in the yellow pages can change the oil, troubleshoot the brakes and change plugs/wires. If it needs more than that, you can drive it to a Vette mechanic. IMHO
Old 07-20-2013, 06:57 PM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for your loss I just lost my dad a few days ago as well. I have been cleaning out clutter but would not do anything to drastic I think it will take time to sort thru. If you can afford to keep the car then do so. I'm wondering about buying my dad's from my mom, she doesn't need it.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:03 PM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

So sorry for the loss of your father.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:45 PM
jesse94954
Heel & Toe

hey sorry for your loss. I live in santa rosa by all means im not a vette expert but i be more then happy to help you get the car back on the road please let me know if there is anything i can do.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:46 PM
mpv96
Intermediate

Sorry to hear about the loss of you father.

Get notified of new replies

To lost my father-help honoring him

Quick Reply: lost my father-help honoring him