Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Amazon prize winner on IOS

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 12:12 PM
maugust24
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
You have to turn it on in your SETTINGS. I haven’t had any issues so far with the ADBLOCKER.
Yes I did that and still pops up on my iPad.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:24 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been getting the Amazon ad for several months when using my iPhone, and ONLY, on the Corvette Forum (CF) website. Same ad all of the time and ONLY on CF.

Clearing the history, doing a reset of Advertising Identifier in the iPhone privacy setting didn't work. I would check the CF on my iPhone from time to time, but basically gave up on the CF when using my iPhone. I don't get the ad when I'm on my iMac, only iPhone, and then ONLY on the CF.

Hopefully, the CF website IT folks can get a handle on this persistent malware. I'm somewhat skeptical that the IT side hasn't been aware of the issue after so many months of it occurring. Hopefully, they will find the root of the issue and fix it. Until then I will just peep CF when on my iMac and not on my iPhone. Don't want to catch anything!

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-01-2018, 02:58 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Like everyone else, my iPhone 7 was useless to view CorvetteForum for the past week or so. I did download the NeverAds ap early this morning and it appears to have fixed the issue.

It took me all of 30 seconds and cost nothing.

Last edited by jdk541; 01-02-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:31 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brass Pass
I've been getting the Amazon ad for several months when using my iPhone, and ONLY, on the Corvette Forum (CF) website. Same ad all of the time and ONLY on CF.
We understand that may be your experience, but the issue is larger than CorvetteForum. Just take a look at the following, lengthy, community discussion on Yahoo's site to see they had the issue as well:

https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Other-pr...ks/td-p/360265

I'm somewhat skeptical that the IT side hasn't been aware of the issue after so many months of it occurring.
While I'm not in the advertising department, I'm not aware of this issue being a multi-month issue. If that were the case, I'd think there would be tons more threads with a trail going back multi-months. Instead, we have some cross-postings for this issue because they're being posted in other sections (then moved here to the Help section), on top of some posting before checking existing threads, and they all are fairly recent.

This issue can only be addressed by our advertising team. They are aware of the issue and are working on it. Some steps were taken last week but it didn't appear to help with the concern as much as we'd all want. The next step is pending for when some return to the office from the holidays. IT, forum Administration and Moderators, can't resolve the issue.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J T
We understand that may be your experience, but the issue is larger than CorvetteForum. Just take a look at the following, lengthy, community discussion on Yahoo's site to see they had the issue as well:

https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Other-pr...ks/td-p/360265

Yes, you're correct that has been my experience. The malware ad ONLY happens on CF so I'm not really interested in reading a lengthy community discussion on Yahoo's site about sites I don't frequent.

While I'm not in the advertising department, I'm not aware of this issue being a multi-month issue. If that were the case, I'd think there would be tons more threads with a trail going back multi-months. Instead, we have some cross-postings for this issue because they're being posted in other sections (then moved here to the Help section), on top of some posting before checking existing threads, and they all are fairly recent.

This issue can only be addressed by our advertising team. They are aware of the issue and are working on it. Some steps were taken last week but it didn't appear to help with the concern as much as we'd all want. The next step is pending for when some return to the office from the holidays. IT, forum Administration and Moderators, can't resolve the issue.
Regardless of your awareness, I'm sure it has been a multi-month issue for me when I use my iPhone to access CF. I haven't kept track since it is as simple as not visiting CF as often as I had using my iPhone. I'm sure others have experienced it over the long term also, but have not said anything about the CF persistent advertising issue either. I'm sure the Advertising Team will get it figured out eventually.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:54 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Just installed ADBLOCK and that seems to have fixed the issue and the problem is only on this site.
go to this site. I just tried it again on my iphone and I got the amazon popup in < 5 seconds.

http://nastyz28.com/portal/
Old 01-01-2018, 05:57 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by MAD IN NC
thanks for the personal reply.... Google Chrome (incognito mode) or Safari on Mac is not an issue. It's the iPhone and iPad that is driving me crazy. All issues came forth or together with 11.2 upgrade for me and logging on CF. Never had issue with 10.x iOS. Don't know if open door, memory leak, iOS load or ? but it drives me and others crazy and limit our access to the forum
correct. I still have 10.3.3 on my ipad and no issues.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:01 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

You have to turn it on in your SETTINGS. I haven’t had any issues so far with the ADBLOCKER.
I downloaded adblock to my iPhone. When I go into settings to turn it on, it's not listed with all my other apps ??

Frustrating

On the bright side, using Chrome on my iPhone seems to prevent the issue.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:14 PM
binster
---------
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 01-01-2018, 06:28 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regardless of your awareness, I'm sure it has been a multi-month issue for me when I use my iPhone to access CF. I haven't kept track since it is as simple as not visiting CF as often as I had using my iPhone. I'm sure others have experienced it over the long term also, but have not said anything about the CF persistent advertising issue either. I'm sure the Advertising Team will get it figured out eventually.
There has been multiple threads covering this issue for the past few days. Each of them having several replies. This particular one has nearly 150 with the Android thread at over 50. That's just within the past few days.

There is no such feedback noted over the past few months about this issue being a multi-month issue. And any that can be found certainly does not show anywhere near the activity as there has been in the last week.

That's why I don't believe this was a multi-month issue. These threads show just how much activity occurs when something is wrong - either globally or locally.

Working on CorvetteForum for the past few 8-9 years, my experience has been that whenever global issues occur, like this, there's a lot of feedback noted. Even if the issue is not on CorvetteForum's end, members haven't exactly been shy to report any issue or conclude CorvetteForum is broken.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I’m getting this crap one my iPhone on this site and I am using the Chrome browser.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 PM
bubba68ss
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the norton adblocker on my iPhone and haven’t gotten the pop up since.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:47 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J T
There has been multiple threads covering this issue for the past few days. Each of them having several replies. This particular one has nearly 150 with the Android thread at over 50. That's just within the past few days.

There is no such feedback noted over the past few months about this issue being a multi-month issue. And any that can be found certainly does not show anywhere near the activity as there has been in the last week.

That's why I don't believe this was a multi-month issue. These threads show just how much activity occurs when something is wrong - either globally or locally.

Working on CorvetteForum for the past few 8-9 years, my experience has been that whenever global issues occur, like this, there's a lot of feedback noted. Even if the issue is not on CorvetteForum's end, members haven't exactly been shy to report any issue or conclude CorvetteForum is broken.
Feel free to believe what you want.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:39 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,256 Likes on 1,675 Posts

I put both of these sumbitches on and they seem to be helping, thanks guys!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:42 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

iOS Chrome
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk541
Like everyone else, my iPhone 7 was useless to view CorvetteForum for the past week or so. I did download the NeverAds ap early this morning and it appears to have fixed the issue.

Does this work for the iPad as well? Clearing the Safari history doesn’t help. Does the phone and iPad need both apps?
Old 01-02-2018, 10:09 AM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Does this work for the iPad as well? Clearing the Safari history doesn’t help. Does the phone and iPad need both apps?
Running the latest IOs version on my iPad2, cleared history and cookies, then installed the ap. Seems to work as I have been on the site opening numerous threads and the ad has not popped up.

Fran

Get notified of new replies

To Amazon prize winner on IOS

Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 AM
jleo_jleo
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by binster
Chrome on IOS does not have option to set the chrome flag. Safari is having same problem here. This is IB issue that needs to be fixed.
Completely agree. I've been an IOS user for many years on many different car forums and this only one where this particular persistent adware continues to disrupt. It's unfortunate because I've all but given up coming here on my iPhone. Clearing Website Data/Cache and restarting does not fix the issue because it's originating from the HTML coming from this site.. I've read the admins response about changing to Chrome but that's not fixing the issue.

I wonder if the sponsors on this page know that viewership is being affected?
Old 01-02-2018, 01:46 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk541

Just reporting to anyone following along, I reached the point where I could not access the forum at all in my iPad or iPhone without the pop up within seconds. I downloaded the NeverAds app in my iPad as seen above and, crossing my fingers, it appears to be fixed. I then did my phone.

As stated, remember to turn it on in your Settings after install.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:46 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by bubba68ss
I installed the norton adblocker on my iPhone and haven’t gotten the pop up since.
Have you noticed Norton slowing down your I phone?
I may add it to my phone.

Quick Reply: Amazon prize winner on IOS