Picture posting

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 07:25 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Default Picture posting

Is there an issue with the new picture posting software? There is an input box at the bottomof the pop-up that should be where I would enter the URL of a picture on the web such as photobucket but it doesn't seem to work. I don't get the insert button activated when I enter a URL.

Is photobucket and all other hot linking no longer allowed? If so you have several stickys above to delete on how to post pictures.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't post a pic from my iPad. What's going on? Why the change?
Old 06-21-2014, 02:54 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Is there an issue with the new picture posting software? There is an input box at the bottomof the pop-up that should be where I would enter the URL of a picture on the web such as photobucket but it doesn't seem to work. I don't get the insert button activated when I enter a URL.

Is photobucket and all other hot linking no longer allowed? If so you have several stickys above to delete on how to post pictures.
It's not that it's no longer allowed but there is some issues with the URL portion of the new thread uploader software that has been identified and has been ticketed for review.

What is happening is that it checks the URL to make sure it's valid. Problem is it doesn't seem to have accounted for people manually typing in a URL or URLs that have BB code already in them - like Photobucket's links. If you copy and paste just the URL itself, it should work.

Otherwise, since you have the URL and usually BB code as part of the URL and it's already hosted on Photobucket, you could just bypass the upload section altogether. Unless you are wanting to upload the content to CorvetteForum's servers from Photobucket and not just hot-link?

Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82
I can't post a pic from my iPad. What's going on? Why the change?
The change is an improvement because, when CorvetteForum polled members for feedback, the ability and complexity to upload pictures was or close to being the number 1 complaint. Additionally, the old upload manager is several years old and in the IT world it would be "ancient".

1) There was no drag and drop feature, for example, with the old attachment manager but such a feature is commonplace today.

2) The ability to easily insert comments near the attached pictures, for example, was also not available as the attachments would all end up at the bottom of the post unless you knew how to grab the URLs for the attachments and knew BB code and even then it was more work and would end up with double attachments.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I use hotlinking when I don't plan on ever using that picture again. I use photobucket for pictures I expect to reuse. The way I used to hotlink was I would find a picture, clean up the URL in my browser to make sure I know how it will show up, Ctl-C to copy the URL, then go to the forum message, click on the picture icon and Ctl-V to paste it. With photobucket I would tend to use their BB code rather than your icon. That is what I am still trying to do.

When I try to use the new icon, it first comes up with the cursor in the enter URL box. I paste something like "http://cdn6.dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/funny_tech_support_t_shirt.jpg?96c47f" to the box and nothing happens. I click outside the box and the entry is cleared. I go back to the box and Ctl-V it again and now it says to insert a valid picture URL. I have not found any way to get it to accept a URL.

My current workaround is to just click on the YouTube icon (I like that) and insert the URL directly in the message, then change the YT's to IMG.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the "typed in URL" fix. The workaround is not THAT much harder than the old way. I was concerned that you were trying to discourage hotlinking and photobucket in favor of using your system.

And I DO like the new picture icon's ability to grab pictures directly from anything Windows Explorer can find which includes cloud locations. I think I would gladly trade the ability to more easily hotlink for that feature alone.

Get notified of new replies

To Picture posting

Quick Reply: Picture posting