Old 03-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Default Help with PM Sent Box

I have a friend who does not have a Sent box in his PM section. This is on our local Corvette Clubs Forum, NOT here but we are using the same software. No one can seem to figure out why he has no Sent mail box. I was wondering if you had an idea to help us?

We are using this software ==> vBulletin® Version 3.8.1

I'd appreciate any help you might be able to give...

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 03-25-2014, 08:01 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you verified that the account has no Sent folder by logging into the account? I don't believe you can edit or delete the Sent or Inbox folders. All sent PMs are stored in the database with an id of -1 under the member's userid and then compiled under a Sent folder when called for. Custom folders are stored and defined in a different table.

I almost think I've seen/heard this once before many years ago.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Do you get a sent folder in this forum if you don't select the option to save sent PMs with the USER CP Edit Options?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:18 AM
J T
IB Staff

Yes, the Sent folder is constructed automatically no matter if the Sent folder is empty or if the member opts to not save sent PMs.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by JimTN
Do you get a sent folder in this forum if you don't select the option to save sent PMs with the USER CP Edit Options?
Thank you both for your replies. We figured it out. On our forum anyway, if you have never clicked the box to "Save message in Sent Folder" when sending a PM, then there are never any saved messages (obviously) but also no Sent Folder is ever created until you save your first Sent message. I had the user click the Save Message in Sent Folder box and he NOW has a sent folder...

All is fixed. Thanks again.

Glenn
Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM
J T
IB Staff

That is strange because on a default 3.8, after looking through the code and a real-world example, the Sent box appears to be created automatically before any Sent messages occur. This is even if the member opts out to Save copies of Sent PMs at the time of registration and even if the forum's default is set to No. Looking at the code, the Sent and Inbox are automatically created on the fly - unlike the customizable folders.

Here's a screen capture of a test account I created after your reply to confirm. Notice no sent items. I also opted out of the Save copies of sent PMs.

Originally Posted by Glennm27
Thank you both for your replies. We figured it out. On our forum anyway, if you have never clicked the box to "Save message in Sent Folder" when sending a PM, then there are never any saved messages (obviously) but also no Sent Folder is ever created until you save your first Sent message. I had the user click the Save Message in Sent Folder box and he NOW has a sent folder...

All is fixed. Thanks again.

Glenn
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

This is a link to the thread on our clubs forum where we were discussing the users problem. In reply #3 he sent a screen shot of his PM's missing his sent box... You may have to click on the attachment in his reply to see the screen shot..

http://www.ccdv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10129
Old 04-03-2014, 04:28 PM
J T
IB Staff

I can't see the attachment without registering. If I understand the member's message correctly, it sounded like he had one with sent items at one time:

I usually go to my sent folder and look to see if my last message is there to verify it was sent.
Unless the member is talking about other forums, the above would confirm there was something else going on.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with PM Sent Box

Quick Reply: Help with PM Sent Box