Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

The official how to post pictures thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 04:06 PM
DFab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The official how to post pictures thread

I know there's been something like this on here, but it was just not specific enough for some of the more "basic" folks who really need to be step by step'd on this process. I was really specific so, it seems long, but the process is really quite simple once you do it the first time.

I put a lot of time into this for the sake of helping the forum members, so please sticky.

Step 1

Load pictures of your car into your computer via your camera software. Simple enough.

Step 2

You need to establish an account with an online photo host. I use www.photobucket.com . Others use imageshack, villagephotos, shutterfly, etc. Its up to you. Go to your select site and follow the directions to establish an account. If you established an account here, its very much the same.

Step 3

This step involves uploading your photos, so they are available online.

Once you have your account set up and you go into your album you'll see an option to upload photos. At photobucket, this is what it looks like.

You'll select the large button indicated in the red that says upload images. Be sure the button to the right in red has "my computer" selected, as this indicates the photos you want to upload are located within your computer.

Once you click the large upload pictures button a browse window will open. This window shows the files and folders in your computer and you must navigate to those photos.

The area indicated in red (above) allows you to "move up", you can also use the drop down menu in blue to see the entire folder structure your computer stores files in, and through searching in there you should be able to locate your saved Corvette photos on your computer. To make it easier, when your looking in folders be sure you select thumbnails, so it allows you to view pictures in your folders versus file names. The area to select thumbnails is indicated in blue below.

Once you located your Corvette pictures, double click the one you want and it will automatically begin uploading OR if you have multiples hold the button "control" or "ctrl" on your keyboard while using your mouse to select each photo clicking once. Once all photos are highlighted click open and they will begin uploading. When uploading you will see this:

Once done, a screen will come up that allows you to add tags, or a title to the photo. Add it if you wish or just select go to my album and you'll see your photo that's been uploaded.

Hit the go to album and your photos are lined up like beneath circled in red.

Done

Step 4

Now to post them in your for sale ad.

Start your for sale thread and when your ready to add your picture/s, go to photobucket and click to enlarge the photo you want to add. It will bring up a screen like this. The picture shown is one of these I've posted here.

The area in red shows using multiple tabs which are available in Internet Explorer 7 and up, Mozilla Firefox, Google Crome...etc. That way I can post in one, then click over to the other and use the photobucket to select pictures and links.

The area in green is the area your going to click on. With photobucket it will automatically copy the link if you click it. You can also mouse the link to highlight it then click "ctrl + c" for copy.

You then jump over to the for sale post in the Corvette forum and select the insert image button (circled in blue). Depending on your computers security settings, sometimes you will get a warning at the top of the screen (red arrow). If you do, select the item circled in red.

If you get the warning, once you select temporarily allow scripted windows, reselect the "insert image" button and a window will pop up. This is where you will paste the direct link copied from photobucket.

In the area asking to enter URL press "ctrl + v" and the link you copied from photobucket will appear. Click "ok" and the link will appear in the window your creating your thread with img tags around it.

Repeat as necessary until all your pictures are entered and your done.

Now for a small shortcut...read below

As a CorvetteForum member pointed out, there is another quicker option available to you that works on many forums out there, but not all. I posted the way I use, because as a member of many forums I just got used to using the way that works everywhere. Now that you know the first way that works in every forum format, then knowing this way can only help you get things done quicker.

Here's the shortcut:

You can use the img code highlighted in red. Click it or press "ctrl + c" then go to the corvette forum message window that your creating your post in and press "ctrl + v" pasting the code directly. This allows you to avoid hitting the "add image" button and inserting the link into the small window that appears in the upper left. Thanks Zymurgy for pointing that out.

Last edited by DFab; 02-11-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Tinee
Instructor

Nice how to
Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Octavarium
Cruising

Nicely done. Hopefully everyone starts following this so I don't have to click on a thread hoping to see a nice car and end up seeing nothing.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Octavarium
Nicely done. Hopefully everyone starts following this so I don't have to click on a thread hoping to see a nice car and end up seeing nothing.
Seems to be a very good tutorial.

However there are many forum members who can't look at the page of titles to see if they're about to post a duplicate. There are also forum members who have been here for several years that don't know where the HELP forum is.

But it should help many.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

This can be simplified somewhat. Instead of selecting and copying the "Direct Link", use the "IMG Code". Now just paste that directly into your post. No need to use the insert image button, no scripted windows alert, etc.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:42 PM
DFab
Advanced

The reason I didn't do it that way, is that all forums don't allow that code to work, but all forums use the "add image" button.

On this particular forum, yes that image code works, but for the greater good I included the way that works everywhere.

I will add the comment to the end of the how-to though since it is worth mentioning.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

No, you've got to have a complete set of IMG tags around each URL.

Also:
1. Your first photo on photobucket has been moved or removed.
2. There is a test area for pics and other uses:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Last edited by Vette_DD; 03-02-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!
Almost 10 years on the forum and I have yet to post a pic

You have given me hope
Old 03-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Spike66
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

Great tutorial but why is all this needed? Why can't this forum use a more simplified method for attaching pictures instead of creating yet another account with passwords and usernames? Craigslist, eBay and other sites use an application similar to email attachments that allow users to simply find the picture, click it and destination found. So simple. The current method is cumbersome.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:36 PM
C5 Corvette C5
Advanced

still cant get the pic on the thread, i can get the url tho
[IMG]
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/albu...ictureid=49411
[/IMG]

Last edited by C5 Corvette C5; 03-29-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:48 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First, make sure there's no [URL][/URL] tags. You had a set in between the [IMG][/IMG] tags

Second, you had the URL incorrect. Right-click on the picture to copy/paste the URL. The correct URL is:

[img]
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/picture.php?albumid=10634&pictureid=4941 1
[/img]

Which will appear as:

Originally Posted by C5 Corvette C5
still cant get the pic on the thread, i can get the url tho
[IMG]
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/albu...ictureid=49411
[/IMG]
Old 03-29-2010, 07:55 PM
C5 Corvette C5
Advanced

Thanks JT
Old 04-11-2010, 04:52 PM
odysseus1
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '11

Still don't understand a --- thing, but my daughter is in town and I'll have her walk me thru it. Some people are just too stupid to understand technology even when they are given a class "A" totorial such as this one! Many thanks for the post...Good luck and once again Thank You.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:47 PM
speedy77
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Everytime I post a pic it's small...not full size. What's the trick for a big pic ?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by speedy77
Everytime I post a pic it's small...not full size. What's the trick for a big pic ?
How big of a pic are you trying to post? You do realize that the forum software re-sizes large pics automatically, right? It's been doing that for about the last 6-8 months.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:14 PM
J T
IB Staff

I viewed a few of your past posts that had pictures. They appeared normal to me. I also checked your account because as Jim pointed out, the website has an image re-size option that allows each user the ability to adjust embedded pictures that are X size, so it doesn't "blow out" the margins. Your account shows no re-size is being done as you have the original size option selected. Therefore, you should be seeing the original picture sizes when you post, as I am.

If you want to point us to a specific example, please do so.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 PM
speedy77
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J T
I viewed a few of your past posts that had pictures. They appeared normal to me. I also checked your account because as Jim pointed out, the website has an image re-size option that allows each user the ability to adjust embedded pictures that are X size, so it doesn't "blow out" the margins. Your account shows no re-size is being done as you have the original size option selected. Therefore, you should be seeing the original picture sizes when you post, as I am.

If you want to point us to a specific example, please do so.
I see pic that fill side to side...I'm not able to do that. Sometimes all I get is a red X in a little box ? A little guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by speedy77; 04-19-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The official how to post pictures thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:04 PM
J T
IB Staff

I'm not sure I'm understanding you. Can you please provide an example? A direct link to a post/thread that explains what you are seeing?

I see pic that fill side to side...I'm not able to do that. Sometimes all I get is a red X in a little box ? A little guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-16-2010, 06:04 PM
bradvett
Racer

Default photos

Originally Posted by Spike66
Great tutorial but why is all this needed? Why can't this forum use a more simplified method for attaching pictures instead of creating yet another account with passwords and usernames? Craigslist, eBay and other sites use an application similar to email attachments that allow users to simply find the picture, click it and destination found. So simple. The current method is cumbersome.
What was the answer to your question?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:40 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by bradvett
What was the answer to your question?
The answer is this forum does have an "Attachment" feature that would be similar to what other sites use to allow on-site hosting. However, this site reserves that feature to Supporting members.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/payments.php

Quick Reply: The official how to post pictures thread