HOWTO: Embed Youtube Videos.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:14 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default HOWTO: Embed Youtube Videos.

This is a HOWTO designed specifically for the CorvetteForum Help Section on how to properly embed a flash video from YouTube in your posts and threads.

Step 1: Find the video you wish to embed. For this one, I've chosen WOEII's RaceRock video he recently posted in the Off Topic Section:

Step 2: Look at the URL on the YouTube page which should look something similar to this:

Step 3: Either start a new thread, or click reply on an existing one and then copy the text following the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= which will look something along the lines of this into the new page that comes up:

Step 4: Paste the text into your post and then place the forum YT Code around it which will look like this:

Note: The leading part of the YT code will look like this: and the trailing part of the code will look like this: so the final product looks like this:

It's not unlike HTML where you have to “open” and “close” your code so the forum software knows what to do with it.

Step 5: Click submit on the bottom of the page, and your post should look something like this:

Voila! You've successfully embedded a YouTube video in your post.

Last edited by theanswriz42; 09-06-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:19 PM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

what and where is the YT code?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Makai2200
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to embed a slideshow from photobucket and only getting a clickable thumbnail whcih take you to the PB page the slideshow is on....we don't want that...we want the slideshow to automatically play will that same [yt] code work with slideshows as well?

Sorry for the hijack...i've been at this for hours!!!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:10 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Originally Posted by Makai2200
I'm trying to embed a slideshow from photobucket and only getting a clickable thumbnail whcih take you to the PB page the slideshow is on....we don't want that...we want the slideshow to automatically play will that same [yt] code work with slideshows as well?

Sorry for the hijack...i've been at this for hours!!!!!
Nope, appending and symbolizes that video resides on youtube so it will not work with photobucket, sorry.

04 commemorative - I'm not exactly sure where you're confused. You simply type and around the part of the URL on youtube I pointed out earlier.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:34 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

If my computer does not recognized YT tags, what am I missing? Do I need a YouTube account for this to work? Or, a certain version of OS? Or, a patch? What?

Thanks
gp
Old 05-24-2009, 09:48 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
If my computer does not recognized YT tags, what am I missing? Do I need a YouTube account for this to work? Or, a certain version of OS? Or, a patch? What?

Thanks
gp
Your need to have Adobe Flash installed and working with your browser to play YouTube clips.

If you go directly to the YouTube website, does the videos work? What are you seeing, or not seeing, here on CF forum?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:55 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The "yt" tags are what's known as BB codes and codes like these are enabled by forum administrators for use by the members. Not all forums are set up to use all of the various BB codes.

So it's not your computer, it's the forum software that allows embedding of YouTube videos. And you should be able to embed almost any YouTube video once know what the URL/filename is as theanswerwriz42 pointed out. You don't have to have a YT account.

As far as a PowerPoint slideshow, you just need to embed the PP link from PB and use the appropriate tags (IMG??). Some PP slideshows will automatically start or others start once you click on the right arrow that is a ghost image at the lower left corner of the start page of the slideshow. Also some PP slideshow will keep running until you hit the ESC key or some will stop at the last slide. All depends on how the slideshow is set up.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:26 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The "yt" tags are what's known as BB codes and codes like these are enabled by forum administrators for use by the members. Not all forums are set up to use all of the various BB codes.

So it's not your computer, it's the forum software that allows embedding of YouTube videos. And you should be able to embed almost any YouTube video once know what the URL/filename is as theanswerwriz42 pointed out. You don't have to have a YT account.

As far as a PowerPoint slideshow, you just need to embed the PP link from PB and use the appropriate tags (IMG??). Some PP slideshows will automatically start or others start once you click on the right arrow that is a ghost image at the lower left corner of the start page of the slideshow. Also some PP slideshow will keep running until you hit the ESC key or some will stop at the last slide. All depends on how the slideshow is set up.
Without knowing what the user is seeing, or not seeing, it could be the computer. You still need to have Flash installed on the computer that is browsing the forum where the YT tag is embedded. Otherwise, you won't see it.

The YT tag on CF is a simple HTML string. The user's computer still does the heavily lifting here, so to speak. The YouTube also still serves the content. The YT tag is just a "dumb" link, to be honest. YouTube and the user's computer does the work.

In addition, if using FireFox and a flash blocker (common since flash is often used for ads and can be CPU intensive), that also needs to be ensured it's checked and not disallowing the content.

Need more information.

I'm not 100% familiar with photobucket and the slideshow, but I tried to explain it here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/help...show-help.html

I don't think the member will be able to accomplish what they want because my quick photobucket tests did not appear to allow the slideshow to start without user interaction.

Last edited by J T; 05-24-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:37 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I can play YouTube videos just fine. When users post complete URL's vs the YT tags, I don't have any issue. It's when the YT tags are used (enclosing only the YT vid#) that it doesn't work. It's like my PC doesn't "know" what a YT tag is at all. And, I don't have tools to imbed them either.

Is this a "tool" available for certain accounts (as suggested above)? Possibly for paid members only????

BTW: As noted above, I don't have a "tool" to imbed YT tags. Simply put...My PC doesn't figure out that a YT tag means go to www.youtube.com and find the video ID listed inside the YT tag(s). It understands other tags like URL and IMG... just not a YT tag.

gp

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 05-31-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:02 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I can play YouTube videos just fine. When users post complete URL's vs the YT tags, I don't have any issue. It's when the YT tags are used (enclosing only the YT vid#) that it doesn't work. It's like my PC doesn't "know" what a YT tag is at all. And, I don't have tools to imbed them either.

Is this a "tool" available for certain accounts (as suggested above)? Possibly for paid members only????

BTW: As noted above, I don't have a "tool" to imbed YT tags. Simply put...My PC doesn't figure out that a YT tag means go to www.youtube.com and find the video ID listed inside the YT tag(s). It understands other tags like URL and IMG... just not a YT tag.

gp
No, you don't have to be a paid member to use and view the YT tags. As I mentioned above, the content is still 100% served by YT itself - not Corvette forum. The YT tags that Corvette forum uses does nothing more than convert the following:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/videostringhere"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/videostringhere" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The above is what is known as HTML. However, Corvette Forum, like most other community based forums, does not allow HTML to be directly used and parsed for security reasons. To get around this, Administrators can take an HTML code and define it as a BB code. BB code is generally allowed and is safer because it's defined by the Administrators and is selectively used.

The only thing Corvette has done is convert some of that string to equal [YT][/YT] tag because HTML (which is what the above code is) is not allowed to be posted and it's not parsed. Therefore, Corvette Forum took the above HTML tag and rewrote it to equal [YT][/YT] tags.

What exactly are you seeing? Any error messages? Any shell boxes to show the YT video should be there?

My best guess is that you may have some 3rd party software blocking the request.

The vB software, in it's stock forum, does not allow the ability to turn off and on YT tags (BB code) for individual users or groups. It's completely different from the Attachment feature, which can be controlled on a usergroup level and is done so on this forum.

Therefore, if your browser doesn't understand this code, it's not your account, but rather your browser or some 3rd party software blocking it.

Last edited by J T; 05-31-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM
YesA59
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

theanswriz42:

Great instructions. I tried various approaches to make the embedding work without success, and then found your post. Sweet!

Question:

CF apparently reduces the size of the YT vids. I have no idea why CF would do that - the YT vid should not use any CF bandwidth. And even large vids are smaller than the size of pics CF uses. So why does CF limit the size of vids?

Do you know of a workaround?

Here is a vid of my 53 #276 engine compartment. Looks small on the CF site. But if you double click on the YT video and go to the YT page, the vid is much larger.

Thanks for your help,

Russ
earlycorvettes.com
Old 11-26-2009, 04:41 PM
J T
IB Staff

There is no workaround. CF defines the size as 425x350 in their YouTube tag. You can't alter that, nor can you use HTML to override it. This is something only the CF Admin could fix in the YouTube tag, but I'm guessing there is a reason why it's set at the size it is.

Originally Posted by YesA59
theanswriz42:

Great instructions. I tried various approaches to make the embedding work without success, and then found your post. Sweet!

Question:

CF apparently reduces the size of the YT vids. I have no idea why CF would do that - the YT vid should not use any CF bandwidth. And even large vids are smaller than the size of pics CF uses. So why does CF limit the size of vids?

Do you know of a workaround?

Here is a vid of my 53 #276 engine compartment. Looks small on the CF site. But if you double click on the YT video and go to the YT page, the vid is much larger.

Thanks for your help,

Russ
earlycorvettes.com
Old 11-26-2009, 05:24 PM
YesA59
Pro

Thanks J T.

I see what you mean. I looked at the coding for this thread, and I see how yt-videoID-/yt translates into:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlXMr15E14I"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlXMr15E14I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><br />

I wonder if the size limitation is more historical than anything else. I am not a huge YT user, but I suspect that the size of YT vids has increased over time.

I also wonder if the CF admin would be willing to increase the limit....

Russ
Old 11-26-2009, 05:55 PM
J T
IB Staff

You can try to contact Savewave (Administrator) and see what he thinks:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...-savewave.html

Originally Posted by YesA59
Thanks J T.

I see what you mean. I looked at the coding for this thread, and I see how yt-videoID-/yt translates into:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlXMr15E14I"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlXMr15E14I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><br />

I wonder if the size limitation is more historical than anything else. I am not a huge YT user, but I suspect that the size of YT vids has increased over time.

I also wonder if the CF admin would be willing to increase the limit....

Russ
Old 11-26-2009, 07:27 PM
YesA59
Pro

Cool. Thanks JT. I sent savewave an email.

Russ
Old 02-14-2010, 07:56 AM
pewter-FRC
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

can someone tell me why this wont work?

[ytBmUx0L6k_0U[yt]
Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter-FRC
can someone tell me why this wont work?

[ytBmUx0L6k_0U[yt]

Just playing around here trying to figure this stuff out.

Looks like you left out "]" after the first "yt" and "/" before the last "yt"

Does this work?

Get notified of new replies

To HOWTO: Embed Youtube Videos.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
pewter-FRC
Safety Car

[yt]BmUx0L6k_0U/[yt]

help???
Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by pewter-FRC
[yt]BmUx0L6k_0U/[yt]

help???
Basically, you need a [yt] tag at the start, then the string in the middle, then a [/yt] tag at the end.

So, your example should look like:
[yt]BmUx0L6k_0U[/yt]

To recap:

1) [yt] at the start - ALWAYS
2) The "string" from the YouTube video, which in your case is BmUx0L6k_0U - this value will change depending on the YouTube video you're linking
3) [/yt] at the end - ALWAYS
Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM
pewter-FRC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by J T
Basically, you need a [yt] tag at the start, then the string in the middle, then a [/yt] tag at the end.

So, your example should look like:
[yt]BmUx0L6k_0U[/yt]

To recap:

1) [yt] at the start - ALWAYS
2) The "string" from the YouTube video, which in your case is BmUx0L6k_0U - this value will change depending on the YouTube video you're linking
3) [/yt] at the end - ALWAYS
thanks alot. i finally got it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOWTO: Embed Youtube Videos.