Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Changing registration for emissions exemption

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 02:19 PM
CavalierKing
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Changing registration for emissions exemption

I have an old modified 408ci 4th Gen f-body that's been in storage for years. It's important to me to keep the tags that are on the car so I just keep renewing my tags every year. Normally, I'd just submit for emissions exemption and I'm good to go. Now, the IL EPA has changed the rules in 2022 and they want insurance to designate "Race Car". It's insured with State Farm who doesn't list the car as a "race car", but rather "pleasure." I also didn't participate in any "required" racing events last year so I don't have any current receipts. I've tried twice and denied both times because of insurance not showing "race car" and no current receipts/club memberships.

I don't know anyone that lives in a county where emissions are exempt. I'm thinking about using a virtual mail service like anytimemailbox.com or travelingmailbox.com.

Is it as simple as just changing this cars registration to that new address? For those that do this, any caveats to this? Will it affect any of my other cars, drivers license, or insurance?
Old 01-25-2023, 02:50 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by CavalierKing
I have an old modified 408ci 4th Gen f-body that's been in storage for years. It's important to me to keep the tags that are on the car so I just keep renewing my tags every year. Normally, I'd just submit for emissions exemption and I'm good to go. Now, the IL EPA has changed the rules in 2022 and they want insurance to designate "Race Car". It's insured with State Farm who doesn't list the car as a "race car", but rather "pleasure." I also didn't participate in any "required" racing events last year so I don't have any current receipts. I've tried twice and denied both times because of insurance not showing "race car" and no current receipts/club memberships.

I don't know anyone that lives in a county where emissions are exempt. I'm thinking about using a virtual mail service like anytimemailbox.com or travelingmailbox.com.

Is it as simple as just changing this cars registration to that new address? For those that do this, any caveats to this? Will it affect any of my other cars, drivers license, or insurance?
Im in commie-illinos too. If you change the registration, you probably have to make it match your address, which can cause issues. I believe Belvidere doesn't have emissions.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:07 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I had my highly modified '98 C5 insured through the NCM. My policy limited my driving to 1,000 miles a year for pleasure use and car shows. I applied for and received an EPA waiver that exempted me from emissions testing. The NCM or EPA never questioned or wanted proof of my annual mileage.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing registration for emissions exemption

Quick Reply: Changing registration for emissions exemption