Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Suggestions for dealership Chicago burbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 06:21 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Steves LS6
I ended up setting an appointment on Friday at Libertyville. I was going to take it to Stasek because it is closer to my house but my friend had a good experience at Libertyville this week with his C6 and convinced me to go there instead. He also mentioned Elvis went above and beyond to take care of him.
Elvis is a great Corvette Tech. I only take my car to him or his partner Kevin in the Performance Shop. What people don't know is Elvis was there main Corvette Tech at Stasek, but then switched dealers to Libertyville. I'm sure Stasek may have other Techs but I'm sticking with Elvis because he's the best
Old 05-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Steves LS6
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mdolandese
Elvis is a great Corvette Tech. I only take my car to him or his partner Kevin in the Performance Shop. What people don't know is Elvis was there main Corvette Tech at Stasek, but then switched dealers to Libertyville. I'm sure Stasek may have other Techs but I'm sticking with Elvis because he's the best

My friend mentioned that Elvis was at Stasek. From what I understand he is very thorough when he is inspecting a car. My buddy took his car there for an oil change and Elvis found a few things with his car. There is another tech that worked at Lattof that he used to go to his name is Franco. My friend was trying to track him down.

Last edited by Steves LS6; 05-09-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,014 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Elvis left Stasek for Libertyville during the mechanics strike a few years ago.

Elvis works for Libertyville he is not Kevin’s partner.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:46 PM
Jim_ZO6
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 108 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C5 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by TOBASCO
Libertyville Chevrolet has a great Corvette service department, but the main guy, Kevin, is off right now. I'm hoping he's back soon as I'd like to pay him a visit!
That's where I last had mine done.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:33 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
Elvis left Stasek for Libertyville during the mechanics strike a few years ago.

Elvis works for Libertyville he is not Kevin’s partner.
OK I mean they work together coworkers

Last edited by mdolandese; 05-09-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:19 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Hello, I am looking for a dealership to take my car to. I bought the car from Raymond in Antioch (great price) but when I took it there for my first free 500-mile oil change I don't think they changed it but charged GM for it along with a rental car. When I picked it up it was showing that the oil was still at temperature and at about 750 miles the oil life was 75%. My car has about 1000 miles on it now and the oil life is showing at 50%. I don't like throwing places under the bus but it is obvious to me that these guys do this all the time and get away with it. I have worked with (I live close) Jennings (If you buy a car from here be careful which salesman you use....... find the youngest one to work with) in the past and they seem okay but if there is another dealership in the Chicago burbs that specializes in Corvettes I would like to know experiences. I would also like to know a good contact. My buddy has a Corvette and has been to several dealers in the area and has not been happy with any of them including Jennings.
Bill Kay Chevy in Lisle has a grear rep. for working on Vettes.I would call there, ask who there most experienced Vette Tech is, and make an appt. with him.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My truck is currently at Bill Kay Chevy in Downers Grove getting brake lines done that I just don't have time to deal with, had some work done in the past on my 90 and it went well, a few Corvettes getting services there while I was getting setup including a nice 60's convertible.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Steves LS6
Racer

This morning I went in for my oil change appointment and I am glad I went there. I met Mike, Elvis, and Kevin. They were all great guys. Requested that I see the underneath of my car and Mike and Elvis were more than happy to do that. I was very impressed at the facility and after seeing all the Corvettes they were working on I felt at ease knowing that Elvis and Kevin only work on Corvettes. They are very professional, helpful and knowledgable. I even gave my car a little present. I couldn't resist getting it lowered. I want to thank you all for the feedback.

Last edited by Steves LS6; 05-10-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

No-IL Events Coordinator
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

^^
Old 05-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Steves LS6
Racer

^^

Thanks
Old 05-10-2019, 02:39 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_ZO6
That's where I last had mine done.
Kevin has been out of the picture there for sometime, not sure what happened, but a great guy.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:46 PM
Steves LS6
Racer

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Kevin has been out of the picture there for sometime, not sure what happened, but a great guy.

I am 99% sure that the techs name was Kevin.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:47 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I am 99% sure that the techs name was Kevin.

Kevin Paddock who everyone references here at Libertyville is a great guy and one heck of a vette and performance tech. He was out of comission for a several months b/c I think of a back issue but probably just returned back to work.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

No-IL Events Coordinator
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

There is a Corvette club that meets there monthly... http://northshorecorvetteclub.org/

The dealership hosts an all Corvette car show and the performance center an annual open house.

___

Last edited by Quick Silver Z; 05-11-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:46 PM
4271sc
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Never ever go to stasek

Hello, I am looking for a dealership to take my car to. I bought the car from Raymond in Antioch (great price) but when I took it there for my first free 500-mile oil change I don't think they changed it but charged GM for it along with a rental car. When I picked it up it was showing that the oil was still at temperature and at about 750 miles the oil life was 75%. My car has about 1000 miles on it now and the oil life is showing at 50%. I don't like throwing places under the bus but it is obvious to me that these guys do this all the time and get away with it. I have worked with (I live close) Jennings (If you buy a car from here be careful which salesman you use....... find the youngest one to work with) in the past and they seem okay but if there is another dealership in the Chicago burbs that specializes in Corvettes I would like to know experiences. I would also like to know a good contact. My buddy has a Corvette and has been to several dealers in the area and has not been happy with any of them including Jennings.
whatever u do STAY AWAY FROM STASEK
VERY UNPROFESIONAL AND INCAPABLE BUNCH
had very bad experience at STASEK in 7/19
Old 10-20-2019, 09:04 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

There is a Corvette club that meets there monthly... http://northshorecorvetteclub.org/

The dealership hosts an all Corvette car show and the performance center an annual open house.

___
We meet there no more, they kicked us out after 25 years, so probably no car show this up coming year at Libertyville Chevy. I guess we don't buy enough and have cars serviced there.
The North Shore Corvette Club will now be meeting at Black Dog Speed Shop and Ferrari Lake Forest (Rick Mancuso is one of our founding members), web site will have schedule once figured out.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:57 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 4271sc
whatever u do STAY AWAY FROM STASEK
VERY UNPROFESIONAL AND INCAPABLE BUNCH
had very bad experience at STASEK in 7/19
I'd be interested in knowing what kind of problem you had. I've taken my Z06's there and they've always been great. I'm extremely picky with my cars and their Corvette tech, Robert, has always done a great job.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions for dealership Chicago burbs

Old 10-22-2019, 09:17 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

No-IL Events Coordinator
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I was in for service a couple weeks ago and had a slight beef but the service was performed properly.
Things may have gone downhill since Bill is gone?

Stasek had a Corvette sales guy (Brian IIRC) that used to troll the forum. Guess he is gone or he would have chimed in to one of these beat downs buy now...
Old 10-22-2019, 03:09 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Things may have gone downhill since Bill is gone?
I know Jeremy is trying very hard and he has some big shoes to fill, but things will improve. He's still learning the ropes to a certain extent. I think he'll do fine.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:22 PM
4271sc
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Never ever go to stasek

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I'd be interested in knowing what kind of problem you had. I've taken my Z06's there and they've always been great. I'm extremely picky with my cars and their Corvette tech, Robert, has always done a great job.
LONG READ BUT WORTH IT I HOPE
MAKE SURE U READ IT ALL THE WAY THRU

Well' where do I start...(since you 'd asked)
I called STASEK right after purchasing (summer of 2019) a local private party car to scheduled a service appt. (they are the closest to me), no issues there, told them that i was pretty particular about my cars and I'm expecting excellence for which I'm willing to pay-no problem so far.
Dropped off the car few days later and got to talk to the actual "GM certified corvette tech" (which was nice-tech seem knowledgable), I specified what I was looking for, we both talked to service adviser and wrote everything down:
-check and advise overall condition of the vehicle was the very 1st thing on the list,
-r&r engine oil+filter,
r&r engine air filter,
r&r cabin air filter,
-coolant flush and r&r coolant,
-coolant tank cap was overtighten/cross threaded (plastic cap) by previous chevy dealer(per previous owner) before i had purchased this car.
[tech said it should not be a problem to get the cap off]
-check and replace any needed fluids (p/s, clutch, diff etc.)
-check and advise brakes condition
ETC...
-basically all normal things one would do after purchasing a used vehicle.
NOW...I asked the tech and service writer to NOT wash my car (been burned in the passed by high school kids that don't care and all they do is scratch up your pride)
Additionally I asked if they would keep the car inside until I come to pick it up to which they said-not a problem. (BTW car had just been completely detailed by previous owner $750)
Keep in mind its a one owner car which never seen rain or snow and had not a scratch on it, 19K on odometer driven by a old man. In fact when i pulled into the service bay guys could not believe how perfect of a shape the car was in-even the advisor said "it looks better then our brand new vette in the showroom"
So, as I'm standing there, tech comes over and popps the hood, pulled the clutch reservoir cap and dripped the oil all over the area-engine/covers/plastic and the l/s front fender, now... get this...he sees me standing right there and saw that. So I'm just looking to see what he does next...he goes to his station grabs a dirty oilly rag and wipes the area including my fender...NOW u can see my heart just about dropped out of my chest.
And here is where i made my mistake...instead just saying NO THNX and take the car somewhere else i gave them the benefit of the doubt and .....as you will see...got burned AGAIN.
Left the dealer somewhat uneasy about leaving my new ride at STASEK.
Was promised few days turn around at most.
Few days later still no call so i figure i would call.
Answer-they haven't even touched the car yet,
tech had a "health issue" come up.
They will call me next day.
Few days later service adviser calls...most of the work is done (by whom? i wonder) except the coolant tank cap could not be taken off w/out damaging the tank it self and the whole thing needs to be replaced-sure i said but the tech assured me he can take the cap off w/out damaging the bottle, well "IT IS WHAT IT IS" said now different advisor...and from there on every time i called i was switched around and talked to all kinds of different people.
Of course they don't have the coolant tank (keep in mind same exact coolant tank for all c6's, NO STOCK? WTH? but whatever) so I'm looking at few more days and now the car is undriveble (no coolant). So its not like i have a choice-right?
What can i do...call me pls when u get everything ready i said and asked them again if the car will be inside-to which they said "of course. Don't worry."
Few more days goes by they get the part but now the "tech" IS MIA...threw his back after getting out of my car....or something like that.
Eventually few more days go by and i finally get a call from a lady in the cashier office-car is now ready for p/u $1300.00-ok i said and asked the young lady what is the answer to my main concern - "what kind of shape is the car in"-she said ha????
"i don't know I'm not a mechanic". NO ****-really? (now I'm getting little irritated) I asked to talk to adviser and/or the so called GM Certified" tech? which was supposed to happen anyways.
(Well it never did-Still to this day)
The tech was now out on a sick leave and i was out of luck as far as vehicle condition goes.
So i go over to STASEK to pick the car, pay what's due, get my bill and the key. I asked where is the car? cashier said... should be somewhere outside.
while laughing hysterically and chatting w/2 other ladies in the cashiers office.(NOT VERY PROFESSIONAL) i look over the bill, some of it does not make sense so i asked if she could explain-she could not, i asked 2 talk w/adviser...well is getting close to closing time but see if can still get someone . WTH? (if i ran my business like that i would of been long out of business)
Adviser comes over and 1st thing he says..."we are officially closed but what can i do?" i said can u explain the bill...he peaks over the bill as that's the last thing he wants to do and asks me..."what, what's the problem?" so i said well, the very 1st thing you guys were to check and advise the condition of the vehicle, NOT DONE-right?
I SAID NO ONE HAD EVER CALL ME TO ADVISE ON THE VEHICLE's condition, as a matter of fact i had play catchup w/you for the whole time the car was at your dealer. (having to call and call again and again)
2nd thing flush cooling system and replace the coolant-correct? i asked.
Advisor goes yeah its been done, i said really well if its been done is the coolant free? because you are not charging me for it (NOW HE FELT REALLY STUPID...)"well its not on the bill for sure" he says. So u see where this is going...? no body knows anything and I'm supposed to trust you did all this work. Unreal.
I said to my self I got to get out of here before I go "POSTAL" since no one gives a ... u know what.
READ ON PLS...THIS IS WHERE IT GETS REALLY GOOD...
I go outside looking for my car and what i see is just terrifying...the car is so filthy dirty (been siting outside for who knows how long)(as a matter of fact that day we had those micro bursts ie. mini tornados in the area)(getting my drift yet)and on a closer inspection i find the back end of the car scratched up. Ran back in and requested to talked to the owner...of course owner was not available but i got his partner/co-owner/gmngr. I asked him to go out w/me to look at my car. He did and could not believe his eyes, i explained my whole situation and he at least in my estimation appeared to be troubled, he called the tech at his house but could not get him to answer the phone, back and forth he offer the car to be detailed (which i refused).
I basically told him, how can i trust you w/what had happened, he did ask me what would make me happy, i told him that i think is was to late for that but he end up cutting the bill in half. i said fine but i was not promising to ever come back or give much positive feedback. I still wanted to find out about my car condition and he said he would have the tech call me the next day-NEVER HAPPENED.
So w/all that, all i ever wanted was for STASEK to communicate and follow up on their promises. This was supposed to be good/happy time for me, it was everything but. A disaster in my eyes.
I'm not sure if I'm overreacting or what but i get better service experience at my local acura dealer for a little daily beater car.
They could of earned a customer for life instead they lost one.(and maybe many more)
Few of my friends who warned me to STAY AWAY from STASEK were not surprise and kind of laughing...we told u so...
The only positive thing about this ordeal was the co-owner cutting the bill in half.(should of offer it for no pay)(maybe i would of reconsidered and give them another chance)
Really, this is not about the money this was my happy time, new ride, 1st vette and then STASEK.
After all this i still gave them the benefit of the doubt and was hopeing that they will call (shows how naive I'm) but now more then 3 months went by and NOTHING.
So I figured i must share my experience and warn other potential victims.
I purposefully left out everyone's involved names, I'm not a mean person and this is just my one time experience, yours might be very different.
Maybe it was my dumb luck, a coincident, crazy things happen but at least communicate w/your customers.
If i was the owner of this dealer i would definitely look into retraining program for some.
Sorry for being sooo long of a rant but i had to fan out.
Good luck to every one who still uses STASEK.

ps. got my car detailed again and was able to get the scratches taken care of. she shines again and puts a smile on my face everytime i drive it.
amazing car for sure.
BTW I will be doing maintenance stuff my self from now on.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for dealership Chicago burbs