Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

WMC join me for Sleeping Bear Dunes M22 Tour- September 6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:36 AM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default WMC join me for Sleeping Bear Dunes M22 Tour- September 6?

Many of your know that Sleeping Bear Dunes and M22 tour has been on my bucket list for a long time now. So I just decided to go ahead and do it, and get in my Vette and drive. I'll be going solo as hubby has to stay home with the pups, as we were unable to get our petsitter to stay with them that weekend.

I am leaving Friday at around noon from work and driving directly to my B&B at the Whaleback Inn in Leland. I should arrive there at around 5:00pm or so. I'm just going to unpack, decompress from the drive and have dinner and then call it a night after Facetiming the hubby and the pups.

If anyone from the WMC would like to join me Saturday for an M22 cruise and Sleeping Bear Dunes trip please let me know. I can drive downstate and meet you where M22 begins and let you guys take over since you have done the drive before?

Sunday, I'm on my own and probably going to drive to Charlevoix to visit a friend or spend the day in Traverse City and then drive downstate back home.

It should be a great weekend to do this, as Labor Day weekend has come and gone (AACCKK where did summer go?!) and there should be no traffic to deal with or crowds at the dunes.

The ONLY thing that could muck up my plans is rain. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one!

Please let me know if anyone is interested in joining me!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:35 PM
BIGBYRD1993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In XI, XII Veteran
NCM Lifetime Member & Ambassador

Originally Posted by luvmy82
Many of your know that Sleeping Bear Dunes and M22 tour has been on my bucket list for a long time now. So I just decided to go ahead and do it, and get in my Vette and drive. I'll be going solo as hubby has to stay home with the pups, as we were unable to get our petsitter to stay with them that weekend.

I am leaving Friday at around noon from work and driving directly to my B&B at the Whaleback Inn in Leland. I should arrive there at around 5:00pm or so. I'm just going to unpack, decompress from the drive and have dinner and then call it a night after Facetiming the hubby and the pups.

If anyone from the WMC would like to join me Saturday for an M22 cruise and Sleeping Bear Dunes trip please let me know. I can drive downstate and meet you where M22 begins and let you guys take over since you have done the drive before?

Sunday, I'm on my own and probably going to drive to Charlevoix to visit a friend or spend the day in Traverse City and then drive downstate back home.

It should be a great weekend to do this, as Labor Day weekend has come and gone (AACCKK where did summer go?!) and there should be no traffic to deal with or crowds at the dunes.

The ONLY thing that could muck up my plans is rain. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one!

Please let me know if anyone is interested in joining me!
Suz , keep Me informed as I've wanted to do this also !!!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:00 AM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm interested also.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:36 PM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks for volunteering to go guys! I was afraid I was going to have to do this whole trip solo! Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope the weather will be as spectacular as it is now!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 PM
CoupeC5man
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I will try and make this, sounds like fun. Need to hit the local wineries too.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 AM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Sounds like a plan. I'll try and work out some stops along the way. Hopefully, someone will join us who has done this drive before and knows all the insider secrets and great getaway places.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:50 PM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

Suzie, I've wanted to make this trip for years! Hmmmm…..checking the calendar...
Old 08-08-2014, 09:05 AM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Brad, that would be AWESOME if you could come! Seriously, this trip has been on my bucket list for a long time now. I've lived in Michigan my whole life and I have never driven up the west side of the state. That is both lame and no excuse.

I'm going to go on the M22 website and put together a series of stops along the way and an itinerary to follow so I can get the most out of this trip.

Keep me posted, would love to have you come!

Last edited by luvmy82; 08-08-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:01 PM
trebor8008
Pro

Suz can you post what news or changes you may have for this???
Old 08-21-2014, 11:02 AM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

No changes on this trip for me. I already paid for my room at the Whaleback Inn in Leland, so I'm good to go.

I will probably leave earlier because I took Friday, September 5 off which will allow me time to do a practice run of M22 and scope out some good spots to stop at for those that want to join me on the drive on Saturday, September 6.

Still to early to scope out what the weather will be like in the area, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed the weather gods will participate.

Please join me if you are able!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:20 PM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Back in March, I emailed Deb to cobble together for me what she thought would be a good route for our trip, which I'm going to follow since she has done the drive and I haven't. (hint-hint Deb, you'd be a great navigator if you went with me on this trip! )

Anyhoo, just bear with me, and I'm going to do my best to plan out our drive with the appropriate stops for food, fuel, photo ops and just plain flat out Michigan scenic enjoyment!

Deb recommended that we start out our tour in Manistee, which we will do.

So, without further adieu, our starting point will be at Douglas Park on Lakeshore Drive South (which faces Lake Michigan) Meet up time will be TBD until I can finalize the itinerary. Below is a linky to GoogleMaps. I figure this would be a great photo op to take on the start of our journey.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S+...d8c12e11ff88c3

If anyone is in the mood, before we depart we can stop at Goody's Juice and Java in town for coffee and muffins, bagels before we hit the road.

From there I will research, map out and time the following stops:

Scenic Turnout north of Arcadia - step that overlook Lake Michigan
Frankfort Lighthouse
Glen Lake/Crystal Lake
Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive
Covered Bridge - Empire
Lake Michigan Overlook/Dune Climb
Glen Arbor- we will be stopping here for lunch (providing the itinerary I'm building works-keep your fingers crossed)
And our last but not least stop- Sleeping Bear Dunes

As always, we will travel in a pack, and no one is left behind to fend for themselves. I will have a map for all of us, and if anyone has radios we can use for me and "tail end Charlie" last guy in the pack incase that does happen we can all regroup and stay together.

On Friday September 5, I will be doing a dry run of the M22 route up to my cabin at the Whaleback Inn in Leelanau which should eliminate any surprises when we do our drive on Saturday.

I'll post updates to the itineraries as I go along and build.

Last edited by luvmy82; 08-21-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:00 PM
trebor8008
Pro

Okee Dokee Sounds great to me! Bob
Old 09-02-2014, 12:39 PM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Checked the weather for this weekend in Manistee and Leland.

Shows 50-60% chance of showers on Friday (cold front is moving though) Hope I can drive around it.....

Saturday looks like perfect weather - high of 67-69 no rain at all!

Post, PM or email me to confirm if you want to join me at 10:00 am at Douglas Park on Lakeshore Drive South in Manistee.

Last edited by luvmy82; 09-02-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:35 PM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

I FINALLY worked out an itinerary that hopefully starts off at 10:00 in Manistee and ends at Glen Arbor at sundown.

Post up if you would like to attend. I have an email ready to go with all the stops and information about this trip if you are interested.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 PM
CoupeC5man
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

How did your trip go Sat? I would have gone up to meet you but I has a class reunion Sat. Hope you had a great ride. Will be missing you on our dragon trip. Maybe you set it for next years trip.

Get notified of new replies

To WMC join me for Sleeping Bear Dunes M22 Tour- September 6?

Quick Reply: WMC join me for Sleeping Bear Dunes M22 Tour- September 6?