Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Bloomington Gold 2014

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:13 AM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Default Bloomington Gold 2014

Arrived at BG today to find ~25% of the turnout we've seen in past years. Significantly fewer vendors, much smaller swap meet and much less to look at in general. We could easily see everything here in an afternoon. We've heard disappointment from everyone we talk to. I truly fear for the future of the event.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:36 AM
jzubik
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by TraceZ
Arrived at BG today to find ~25% of the turnout we've seen in past years. Significantly fewer vendors, much smaller swap meet and much less to look at in general. We could easily see everything here in an afternoon. We've heard disappointment from everyone we talk to. I truly fear for the future of the event.
took more time to drive there and back then actual time needed to see everything.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Went last year to see C7, no plans to go this year. Would have gone if still in St. Charles...
Old 06-28-2014, 10:29 AM
99 VET
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Oldtimer
St. Jude Donor '13

Didn't go & not planning to go next yr. My feelings ditto Quick Silver Z comments. BG has lost its appeal to me & looks like many others. Too bad!
Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 AM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

Agree - sorry to see this great event losing interest. From what I heard, the venue this year sucked - no organization or logic as to where all the vendors were, or at least seemed that way. I hear last year was all "around" the round Assembly Hall, which would have made finding things a lot easier. Unless they do something significant, they'll continue to lose more interest. I think they made a BIG mistake by moving it out of St Charles / Pheasant run.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:59 PM
h.d.fire
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Went last year to see C7, no plans to go this year. Would have gone if still in St. Charles...
Agreed.....Pheasant Run was the best venue.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I spent a few hours walking the show. Was disappointed overall......
Had some of the big vendors there at retail pricing, the swap meet was a little empty.
Some truly magnificent Corvettes were shown and in attendance. Took a few pictures, I just didn't get excited. I didn't know what to expect, read so many good things.........
I was surprised just how empty the place was. I hope the vendors covered their costs?
Maybe it was just me, I walked the whole show including the Corvette Clubs parking section.
Bottom line, I have no desire to go back.
As they say "nothing ventured, nothing gained".
Old 06-28-2014, 08:28 PM
vettemike66
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not what it used to be

I wish it was still at Pheasant Run too. There was so much more to see. But ever since Mecum started selling more Corvettes at other venues, the Bloomington auction decreased every year. And with fewer high dollar buyers, there is less incentive to bring Corvettes to sell at the Gold Mine as well. Then fewer buyers for the vendors, who struggle to cover their costs. And with less interest amongst the younger generation, it was only a matter of time. I went to the Champaign venue last year and was very disappointed. It wasn't worth the trip this year. I don't see this event continuing much longer, unless the organizers find a better venue, and find a way to attract/include younger Corvette fans.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Really wanted to go this year but just couldn't find the time to make it work. Kind of glad now after reading some of the posts. Hopefully next year is improved and in a better location.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 PM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I was told by one of the staff there were more vendors registered. I know that some of the vendors in the one single tent across the street was a little crazy with all the room that was available. I heard there was an issue with tent set up in certain areas of the lot. The construction on the back of the stadium changed the whole lay out. I did not find it difficult to navigate. I do agree the closeness of St Charles to the Chicago metro area brought a lot more traffic. I also know that if everyone does not get out and enjoy their cars the event will die. This is one of the best events for a corvette guy. There is no reason to not get out and hang with the friend you make in the Corvette world.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Wrangler Rich
Melting Slicks

Went down and walked through the vender area and was amazed at how small the representation was. Went to the great hall and looked at the cars which I had already seen numerous times, hung out for about 2 hours with a vender friend and we talked about the turn out and lack of business, said he sold all of $5 all day. In my opinion, they had better come up with a fix real soon or, it is over. The lack of an auction is probably the biggest factor of declining interest. There were plenty of people there, but they were all congregating in small groups away from the festivities. The happening place was the parking area. Not too good for business if people aren't buying.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I went yesterday and like many others was disappointed. I have been going to the Bloomington Gold show since 1991 (have only missed 3-4 of the shows), but I did not feel there were a lot of vendors there and for the ones that were, unless you had an older Vette, used parts were few and far between. Some of the cars were very nice, but the lack of an auction was a big disappointment.

Not sure I will be going back next year unless there are a lot of changes and more interest from vendors in showing up.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:13 AM
G.Rossman
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13, '15, ‘18, '21

I had fun. Saw a few things I wanted but didn't want to spend the money. Did find a nice US made clock for my wall. It is a fairly short drive for me so I will keep going. Too bad my car dumped the radiator fluid as I got back and I had to add distill water to get it home...another thing to go figure out and fix.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I went today with my daughter, second time for me, first time with my car. The construction around Alumni Hall really screwed up the layout and I will admit I felt lost most of the day compared to last year. You can't blame BG for that mess.

The Chevrolet guys said they had a smaller space due to the Corvettes racing at Watkins Glen this weekend. I don't think BG can be blamed for that either.

I talked with several people/vendors who were pretty sure there was more to the St Charles story than most of us know.

Met a forum couple from Palos and made new friends.

Went back to the car to drop off a few goodies and Kevin's ZR1 was parked next to me, and Kev and Emily were there a few minutes later. (No I didn't set off the alarm!)

Saw a 64/65 big block Vette judged that was supposed to be a 3.2 mil car. My daughter thought it was hysterical when they misted the windows to check the wipers!

Went on the Gold Tour, had our Mickey Hands, and had a ball! Daughter really loved it!

Sure vendors may have been down, layout was confusing, but there still plenty of great people to meet and plenty of great Corvettes to see!

As has already been said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I enjoyed hanging out with folks at our hotel Friday night and Saturday morning and will be back next year.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:52 AM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Went yesterday, the highlight was the drive there and back. the lowlight the actual show! There were so many no shows in the vendor swap area. It was so spread out with big gaping holes then another lone vendor. Bad news for BG. They did not have any indoor vendor space and that hurt a lot of potential vendors. Emily was very disappointed when her vendor that she sought out was not there. The prices on the food were nuts! $3.50 for an ice cream cone the you can get at McD's for $.49 and smaller too! I think I'm done with BG.

The ZO6 was OK, a lot better than the base car but the front fenders look like they forgot something and fixed it with black vinyl siding. The clear tail lights look better. I honestly had more interest in the Chevy SS's that were on display at the dealer booths. I'll keep the ZR1 thank you!

For those of you thinking of going down there today...save your gas.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Wrangler Rich
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jptgs1
I went today with my daughter, second time for me, first time with my car.

That is my Red C6 next to yours, must have just missed you.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 AM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

I went today with my daughter, second time for me, first time with my car. The construction around Alumni Hall really screwed up the layout and I will admit I felt lost most of the day compared to last year. You can't blame BG for that mess.

The Chevrolet guys said they had a smaller space due to the Corvettes racing at Watkins Glen this weekend. I don't think BG can be blamed for that either.

I talked with several people/vendors who were pretty sure there was more to the St Charles story than most of us know.

Met a forum couple from Palos and made new friends.

Went back to the car to drop off a few goodies and Kevin's ZR1 was parked next to me, and Kev and Emily were there a few minutes later. (No I didn't set off the alarm!)

Saw a 64/65 big block Vette judged that was supposed to be a 3.2 mil car. My daughter thought it was hysterical when they misted the windows to check the wipers!

Went on the Gold Tour, had our Mickey Hands, and had a ball! Daughter really loved it!

Sure vendors may have been down, layout was confusing, but there still plenty of great people to meet and plenty of great Corvettes to see!

As has already been said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I enjoyed hanging out with folks at our hotel Friday night and Saturday morning and will be back next year.
Sounds like you had a good time.

Last edited by tommyn; 06-29-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bloomington Gold 2014

Old 06-29-2014, 09:09 AM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

So what vendors were missing in your guys opinions? There seemed to be all the bigger vendors with the regular t-shirts and late model car add on's.
I know I did better than the last few years in the parts area. I found most all of the parts I needed to complete my latest C5 project car. I found the correctly restored fuel pump and original spare wheel with non DOT tire in excellent condition for my 66. I scored a cheap set of 66 hubcaps for my car trailer. Got my free t-shirt from Chevy.
Spent the day with many old friend and met a few new guys also.
As far as the food, this is not the shows fault. Fact is these vendors pay a fee for the spot, bring in their equipment and pay license fees, insurance and employee costs. I am not saying the vendors are not making money but it is a business at the end of the day. They unlike parts and accessory vendors usually cant sit on their inventory. When attendance is down they take a beating also.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

While I'm not a long time veteran attending BG and don't have as much to compare it to it's still the closest event for the Corvette enthusiast.

If we decide not to support it and not go, it dies.

Then what do we have to do and complain about?

I hope it survives.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:30 AM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

While I'm not a long time veteran attending BG and don't have as much to compare it to it's still the closest event for the Corvette enthusiast.

If we decide not to support it and not go, it dies.
Exactly!

Then what do we have to do and complain about?

I hope it survives.

I have been a BG attendee since 75, - a few years when I lived full time out west. I have followed it around and seen the ups and downs. St. Charles really did breath some life into the show, but even then there were guys on here complaining about the event.
Maybe they should just keep ordering their corvette t-shirts off the internet.
I did see your car in the lot, looked good. Was disappointed there were 4 cars in the CF parking area. I reminisce of the 40+ car caravan of just the Chicagoland guys into St Charles, BigFish BBQ's and insane road tours.
I laugh about all the complaining about the auction. I wonder how many of those guys actually bought or at least were a registered bidder. I would guess 1-2%.
If you are a car guy and want to attend collector car auctions add January in Arizona to your to do list. There really is a mix of everything and it will blow your mind.

Quick Reply: Bloomington Gold 2014