Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Bloomington Gold 2014

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

http://www.journal-republican.com/mu...ette-tour-2014
Old 07-01-2014, 04:10 PM
vettefan311
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Ok, I’ll leave my feedback on this as I do really like this show and think it has great potential. I’ve attended 8 out of the last 10 BG shows and am probably in the minority that appreciate the fact that it moved out of Pheasant Run. I’m in the NW burbs of Chicago and having the show in Champaign gives me an opportunity to take my car on a nice little road trip and make a weekend out of it with an overnight stay.

I can say for sure that I was one of the younger attendees last weekend as well (I’m 35 and own a C5Z). The show itself was ok, it was about what I had expected. The vast majority of the cars were C5s & C6s (me included), but that’s ok as I like to see what others do to personalize their car. Also, as most things can easily be found online, I don’t see the need to purchase anything at the show (unless a nice discount is offered by the vendor).

I will say, which I have not yet heard mentioned in this thread, that the overwhelming highlight of the weekend was the Saturday night cruise-in/block party in downtown Champaign. The corvette turnout downtown was much less than I was expecting, but they had all of the streets blocked and all of the parking was set aside for corvettes, which was really nice. The weather couldn’t have been better and it was nice visiting the local establishments. It seemed like everyone who was out was having a great time. I’m not sure what happened at the end of the tour, but I feel that most of the attendees missed out on the best part of the day.

My suggestion would be hype the block party up a bit more (and pray for perfect weather of course). I’m not sure what the party in the park was all about as I went straight downtown after the show, but we were able to have a delicious full meal and drinks at a very reasonable cost at one of the bars downtown.

Also, maybe partner with a couple local hotels to have "official" hotels as we stayed at the Hampton Inn on University and there really wasn't anyone else hanging out in the parking lot on Sat night. That's one of my favorite things. If there would be an "official" hotel, I would stay there to be able to make some new friends.

I think the Champaign location is great and love driving my car, so I have no issue with a couple hour drive.

I’m doing what I can to keep the Corvette fever alive as I take my 6 year old son with me wherever I go and he has a blast as well (we've long hauled 4 power tours and been to numerous other events).

Either way, thanks for actively seeking out feedback and trying to make the BG event as good as it can be.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 PM
RyanR0101
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I agree. I've been to every BG since the later years of the Interstate Center...maybe '98 or so. I've got no problems moving it from Pheasant Run. It was a beautiful setting, but the word was the Chicago crowd viewed us as more of a pain in the neck than a welcomed event. Downtown Champaign was great, and we didn't go down there last year. Corvettes parked all over. This wasn't mentioned in the brochure or anything, and I had no idea anything was semi-planned (I'm not an up to the minute Facebooker). We went to a nice restaurant that wasn't all that expensive. Get the word out next year...after the road tour, everyone head downtown, and it will be cleared for Corvette only parking in certain areas! I bet the city and businesses would back us up on that one.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:06 PM
grandsport2
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TraceZ
We were the 8th to the last car in the tour. We could see the tow trucks behind us with their flashing light bars the entire way.

We used a cell phone "tally" app and counted every single car that passed us on the way back.

We counted 518 cars.

Did we somehow miss half the cars? We didn't know about any post-party. Did half the cars divert to the party?
we split off from the "parade" because it was too slow and we were also meeting friends for dinner and beers. i say parade because i dont consider 10 mph and a hot car a road tour. Been going to BG since the 70s, so i dont want to lose it either, but its going to be on life support soon. I personally think it should go back to St. Charles, which is twice the drive for me, but a much better venue. If Mecum doesnt make it back, another auction company? Maybe the forum can talk to the leaders and help? sign me up.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:27 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanR0101
Looking at the photo website, there are 1172 pictures of Corvettes. He appears to have taken 2 shots of every car, so that puts it at about 586 cars that made it to Monticello.
I'd believe that number. Figure some folks bugged out after making the trip one way and we never got a chance to count them from our car.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Here is my take on Bloomington Gold..

Need more parts vendors. It honestly seemed like there were much less vendors than in previous years. If not, there was a lot of wasted open space.

Since there is no auction, maybe focus on other areas for the show, meaning there used to be an area for the celebrated year.. Maybe 2 groups, cars 25 years/ cars 50 years, then when the time comes 75 years. When the corvette hit 50, it seemed like the silver age cars (25 years old) got pushed to the side and ignored.

I know there is judging to certify a car/survivor etc.. Maybe add another section of classes for cars outside of this realm (custom/modified)

Organization
I still think the golf course of Pheasant Run was the perfect setting for the owners to park cars, it was not the traditional rows like at Champagne.

Not saying I want it @ Pheasant Run, just comparing venues as far as where I am parking my corvette when I drive to the show

There seemed disorganization of layout, but I guess that is due to the construction at and around U of I. ( on big vendor tent isolated from the rest

Comments about Friday
I got there around noon, spent the afternoon at the show, I was able to take in most of the show in the afternoon.

WHY did most of the parts vendors close up at 4pm? I was surprised when I saw that.

After show activities.. I think when it was in St. Charles there was plenty of car show cruise nights etc in the area that were promoted, what about champagne? Again this was Friday night.. Saturday is a bit different due to the Road Tour.

Will I attend next year? I don’t know yet, Since I own a C4, and there is not much for them at the show currently, I will wait and see what is in store for next year.

these were just my observations...
Old 07-05-2014, 01:38 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Bloomington Gold 2014

I attended the show in 2008 at the St. Charles location and this year at the Champaign venue.

I preferred the St. Charles location myself. There seemed to be more to do in and around that area of town. Having said that I heard a lot of complaining that it was too congested/busy in and around Pheasant Run for some members. Even back then people were complaining that the organizers needed to "change locations" and that the event was "getting worse" which each passing year.

I liked the show this year, some of the people we met said it was an improvement from last years event. A couple of thing could have been done better:

For the Gold Members the coffee and pastries was kinda lame and there wasn't anything mentioned in the event guide about the beer and wine that was also available, (maybe that was done intentionally).

Gold Members should have gotten a better deal on the chance to hear the guest speakers - $100 dollars for non-members was a bit steep and $20.00 off after buying a Gold Membership was laughable.

The Party in the Park for Saturday had no start time and wasn't well attended.

Quick Reply: Bloomington Gold 2014