Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Corvette Corral at Road America for Tudor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:03 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Corvette Corral at Road America for Tudor?

We're doing the photo pass for the Tudor race at RA and have everything booked except for parking.

They were not sure who was running the Car Corrals and thought there would be a Corvette Corral.

Anyone have any info?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Toll Free: 800.365.RACE (7223)

info@roadamerica.com

http://www.roadamerica.com/contact-us.html

https://www.facebook.com/RoadAmerica
Old 06-23-2014, 08:24 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

You will be wasting your money if you intend to park at the corral and then walk the track for pictures. You will want to park close enough to where you intend to take pictures since a lot of the hot zones with good angles require some walking. You can park anywhere at the place for the most part, as long as its not marked.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:27 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Lemans24
You will be wasting your money if you intend to park at the corral and then walk the track for pictures. You will want to park close enough to where you intend to take pictures since a lot of the hot zones with good angles require some walking. You can park anywhere at the place for the most part, as long as its not marked.

Try Canada, Thunder Valley, turns 14 and 5 on the outside in the AM

Try 2 coming over crest, 3, 5 on the inside exit, 6, 7, 9, carousel in the afternoon.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:46 AM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont think it would be a waste of money. Get a golf cart and park at the corral. Your vette will be safe...the corvette club incharge of the corral does not let golf carts cruise into the corral...dont want anyone crashing into any vettes. They do have an area to park the golf carts inside the corral. You can cover way more ground with a golf cart than driving your vette from corner to corner to take pictures. I rented a golf cart last year even allowed other corral members to take it to see the track and to the paddock.
As for the corral pass I will have check to see if they are being sold yet.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:56 AM
geagle.2001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default corral is free

Originally Posted by NoOne
We're doing the photo pass for the Tudor race at RA and have everything booked except for parking.

They were not sure who was running the Car Corrals and thought there would be a Corvette Corral.

Anyone have any info?
The Corvette corral is a permanent fixture at Road America, and always in turn 3. There is no charge to park there and no need for any special pass. If you have a Corvette, they wave you in. It is in turn 3, in my opinion a great place to watch the race. You can still enter at any gate and just drive around to the Vette area no problem.
I have some favorite places to shoot pics, areas where you get a great view of the track with no cyclone fences in the way. However, that is a moot point for you, as the photo pass lets you go beyond the barriers and get an excellent view of any corner. Turn five is one of the most popular viewing ares on the track, and also a great place to shoot. The inside of Canada corner is still my personal favorite, but if you go to the stands on the outside of the corner, you can watch the cars come down the long straight from the kink into Canada. There is usually a huge video screen at turn 5 and 3 to see the remainder of the track, and GM usually has a tent with free food and swag next to turn 3 right in the corral. The corral is a pretty good corvette show in its own right. Oh, and definitely have a double brat or walking taco from the food stand in corner 3. Enjoy! I'll see you there. If you see a victory red C6 with the plate Z51 C6, that's me.

Last edited by geagle.2001; 06-24-2014 at 04:04 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Turn 5 / 6 has plenty of parking. On the outside of turn 6 most of the TV crews are set up and you can get right next to them for some great shots. And you can walk to several other great parts of the track from there. I usually go to the Corvette Corral 1st thing in the morning and drive down to turn 5 and just let the car sit there for the rest of the day
Old 06-24-2014, 10:17 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Thanks.

I wanted to park in the Corral so the car was safe. We will hardly be there and we have photographers passes so open access to the entire track including the off limits area's.

Plus I want to leave camera equipment and stuff in the car so like it not to be in general parking.

We will be there in a Arctic White C7 w/ black wheels/mirrors/spoiler and Michigan plates along with the 20lbs of camera's
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-24-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Thanks.

I wanted to park in the Corral so the car was safe. We will hardly be there and we have photographers passes so open access to the entire track including the off limits area's.

Plus I want to leave camera equipment and stuff in the car so like it not to be in general parking.

We will be there in a Arctic White C7 w/ black wheels/mirrors/spoiler and Michigan plates along with the 20lbs of camera's
Thanks for the info.
Your car wiil be safe no matter where you park There are so many super cars, etc. you will be shocked. I parked my Corvette next to an M6 BMW, Zr1 Corvette and a bunch of Porches at turn 5
Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bimmervet
Your car wiil be safe no matter where you park There are so many super cars, etc. you will be shocked. I parked my Corvette next to an M6 BMW, Zr1 Corvette and a bunch of Porches at turn 5

Great thanks for the info. What I always worry about in general parking with events like this is if its the Corvette or our other cars people walking between cars with backpacks, coolers, etc...

Got our room this morning too a few miles away from the track.

We're looking forward to it. Did Sebring back in March and was a great event. Really looking forward to the photography part of it, wished other tracks offered the same program.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:56 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rhett Loveday
I dont think it would be a waste of money. Get a golf cart and park at the corral. Your vette will be safe...the corvette club incharge of the corral does not let golf carts cruise into the corral...dont want anyone crashing into any vettes. They do have an area to park the golf carts inside the corral. You can cover way more ground with a golf cart than driving your vette from corner to corner to take pictures. I rented a golf cart last year even allowed other corral members to take it to see the track and to the paddock.
As for the corral pass I will have check to see if they are being sold yet.

We need a cart for what we will be doing. We want to cover as many spots on the track as possible in the 3 hours of the race. So we'll scout things out on Thursday/Friday and setup our route for Saturday/Sunday. It has more to do with the time to move between spots than the actual walk.

The more ground we cover the more we get out of it.

BTW if anyone is interested our pics our here:

http://ericptek.smugmug.com

Last edited by NoOne; 06-24-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:44 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

I have media access to the hot areas,

In the morning, Turns 12,13 and 14 are good, the outside of 5, looking up the straight is also a great place.

In the afternoon turns 2, 3, 5 (inside) 6, 7, 8,

9 is good in morning and afternoon depending on lighting.

IIRC Carts are 300 to rent for the weekend.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:53 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

These are my pictures from the June Sprints from multiple locations around the track.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cgr_ph...7645178975505/
Old 06-25-2014, 09:17 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

These are my pictures from the June Sprints from multiple locations around the track.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cgr_ph...7645178975505/
Great shots. I would not mind picking your brain on how you setup for the oncoming shots.

We did Sebring and I had poor quality shots with oncoming cars. Panning and high speed shots I had no problem with but I never got the sharpness I wanted.

Your shots are equal in quality if panning or oncoming. Maybe it was the speed of the cars?

Are you manually or auto focusing?

I was looking for this kind of quality with oncoming:

Here is the link to that original image since the Smugmug linked image is of poor quality:

http://ericptek.smugmug.com/Sebring-2014/i-92f5FR8

I just had a real hard time with it and could never figure out what I was missing. This time I'm bringing my laptop with me so I can see the results right after I shoot, see if I can figure out what I'm missing.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-25-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:02 AM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Great shots. I would not mind picking your brain on how you setup for the oncoming shots.

We did Sebring and I had poor quality shots with oncoming cars. Panning and high speed shots I had no problem with but I never got the sharpness I wanted.

Your shots are equal in quality if panning or oncoming. Maybe it was the speed of the cars?

Are you manually or auto focusing?

I was looking for this kind of quality with oncoming:

Here is the link to that original image since the Smugmug linked image is of poor quality:

http://ericptek.smugmug.com/Sebring-2014/i-92f5FR8

I just had a real hard time with it and could never figure out what I was missing. This time I'm bringing my laptop with me so I can see the results right after I shoot, see if I can figure out what I'm missing.
Its a learning process thats for sure, im still learning and I have been doing this for nearly 5 years.

What gear are you using?
Old 06-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Saw this on the Kettle Moraines Web site. This is my 87 from 5 years ago. They have been running the Corral for over 40 Years. The 1st Corral was behind the bleachers on the start finish line. They used to give you a bucket of water to clean off the car due to all the dust.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:34 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Its a learning process thats for sure, im still learning and I have been doing this for nearly 5 years.

What gear are you using?
My wife and I both have Canon 5D III's. Len's we have:

Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II L w/ the 2X Extender
Canon 16-35 2.8 II L
Canon 24-70 2.8 II L
Sigma 70-300 2.8 HG Sport w/ 2X Extender

The shot of the Viper was taken with the Sigma. It is an incredible lens. My wife shoots with the 70-200 and I use the 70-300, imperceptible difference in quality between the two. We rented one to take to Sebring and ended up buying one.

Even with the Extender at 600mm it focuses fast and pretty sharp. It gets a bit soft with the extender but I shot this at 600mm hand held a few weeks ago at Montreal. Minor crop, maybe took 10 percent off around the edges:

It's only downside is the weight. Between that lens, camera, battery extender, and GPS module I'm slightly over 10lbs. I think he weight does help with steadying the camera.

Any tips you could offer I'm all ears.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-26-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Corral at Road America for Tudor?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

You have good quality stuff so that should not be a problem.

The first thing i'd is check online and research different settings for your 5D. I was not very happy with my June Sprints pictures as a whole so I changed my settings to something I found online. I will test it out this weekend at a SCCA event.

When panning, slow your shutter down to 1/200 and play around with lower from there. There will be more throw aways but some you will be, "damn that looks awesome"

Id say for shooting cars straight on, use AL Servo, you will likely get one or 2 in good focus. I use manual af point with no expansion. I was not happy with my pictures using expansion.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:56 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

These were taken during same session at the SVRA event in May at RA.

1/500

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cgr_ph...57644795737243

1/160

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cgr_ph...7644795737243/
Old 06-27-2014, 08:35 PM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

I have media access to the hot areas,

In the morning, Turns 12,13 and 14 are good, the outside of 5, looking up the straight is also a great place.

In the afternoon turns 2, 3, 5 (inside) 6, 7, 8,

9 is good in morning and afternoon depending on lighting.

IIRC Carts are 300 to rent for the weekend.

Lemans24 - you definitely need someone to carry all that valuable equipment around with that media pass! (sorry I'm not a beautiful babe)

Quick Reply: Corvette Corral at Road America for Tudor?