Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Buses begin ride on Stevenson Expressway shoulders

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,511 Likes on 1,016 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Buses begin ride on Stevenson Expressway shoulders

FYI

SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE November 14, 2011 8:42AM
November 14, 2011 9:19AM

Beginning Monday, two Pace routes will be using the widened Stevenson Expressway shoulders during rush hour commutes.

Pace says routes 755 and 855 will operate on sections of the shoulders of Interstate 55, providing commuters with an alternative to driving they claim will save time and money.

Legislation signed by Governor Quinn earlier this year established the interagency pilot project for bus on shoulder operations that includes Pace, IDOT, RTA and the Illinois State Police, a release from Pace said.

Chicago is not the first city to try out using highway shoulders. Similar programs also exist in Minnesota and in major cities such as Cincinnati, Columbus and Miami.

Under the program, Pace buses are allowed to use designated sections of the shoulder of I-55 between 5 a.m. and 9 a.m. for inbound trips, and between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. for outbound trips.

Buses can only use the shoulder when traffic in the regular lanes is flowing at less than 35 miles per hour, and buses using the shoulder cannot travel at speeds greater than 35mph, or 15mph faster than the flow of traffic in the regular lanes-whichever is less, Pace said.

Special signage and roadway markings show where buses can use the shoulder, and the buses will have markings indicating it is authorized to use the shoulder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_iFdACjp0o
Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 AM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

this should be interesting let see how many get wiped out when they stop on the shoulder . and how many cars use them when they see the bus using them
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 AM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

This wont end well.........
Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 PM
99 VET
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Oldtimer
St. Jude Donor '13

What a dumb idea! Glad I have runflats on the vette. What do u do if you get a flat & the shoulder is a danger zone more then it is already? Another strong vote for replacing our current leaders!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Admiral Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I used to live in the SW burbs and took the Stevie into the city everyday. I saw quite a bit of shoulder riding, especially near Harlem, Cicero and Central and a couple times it did not end well.

After a while I started to leave at 5:00/5:30 to avoid the traffic.

As mentioned above, this will be interesting.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:05 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by OneBadZ06
This wont end well.........
probably about the dumbest idea I have heard of ... seriously.... for a state that is so "concerned" with Hwy safety and strict speeding laws, cameras etc...

great idea let a 2 ton bus hurling down the shoulder at 40mph I give it a week or 2 before we hear of a car getting smashed like a sardine... how many people do you see that don't even shoulder ride, but weave over a bit to see what is holding traffic up................ WHAMMMMMMMMMMM here comes the pace bus

the stupidity of this state just boggles the mind
Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 PM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

Originally Posted by FrankTank
probably about the dumbest idea I have heard of ... seriously.... for a state that is so "concerned" with Hwy safety and strict speeding laws, cameras etc...

great idea let a 2 ton bus hurling down the shoulder at 40mph I give it a week or 2 before we hear of a car getting smashed like a sardine... how many people do you see that don't even shoulder ride, but weave over a bit to see what is holding traffic up................ WHAMMMMMMMMMMM here comes the pace bus

the stupidity of this state just boggles the mind

Get notified of new replies

To Buses begin ride on Stevenson Expressway shoulders

Quick Reply: Buses begin ride on Stevenson Expressway shoulders