Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Looking for Machine shop SE Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 PM
nosgbody
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Machine shop SE Michigan

I just wanted to take a sec and say hello to all the Great Lakes members. I'm brand new to the board and being a rookie C3 owner, I'm looking forward to making some new acquaintances and learning from everyone's experiences. I have to admit that I am a rookie and won't be bringing to much to the board as far as experience goes so I'll be in Sponge mode for a while........But I am a quick study.

With that being said. last year I came across a deal on a 77 C3 I couldn't pass up and it's been downhill in an addictive kinda way ever since. I'm starting a 383 build and looking for a Machine Shop in SE Michigan (Oakland County if possible) to do the block. I was looking at Booth-Arons in Berkley Mi. but when I started adding up the prices for everything it quickly started to approach what you would pay for Summits bare 383 block which was machined and ready to build. Keep in mind I'm rookie so If I seem off my rocker that just might be the case...=) So I'm welcome to honest comments. Below is a list of my pile-o-parts.

Thanks ....!

1 slow but decent running 77 C3
Eagle light weight forged stroker Crank 3.75
Eagle H beam rods
JE srp Flat tops 4.03
GMPP 210 cc Heads 62 cc ( bad choice for those flat tops...opps )
Pro built 700r4
Pypes inc. header back x-pipe exhaust with race pro mufflers.

Still need to figure out my cam/converter and rear end combo
Old 04-27-2011, 06:59 AM
M1Cruiser
Instructor

Booth-Arons does quality work. You can't go wrong. You'll also get a lot of good advice on your combination. Inexpensive mail order blocks are usually cheap for a reason. If the tolerances are even close, they ship it. If the cylinder walls look good, they ship it. Might not be the best finish for your piston and ring configuration, but it's cheap.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

There is a NAPA Store in Plymoith with a machine shop/engine builder attached.
Overhauled my 55 pickup engine and 1970 C3's L46.
Reasonable and good work.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:15 PM
nosgbody
Cruising

guys thanks for the response and what M1 said really hit a chord on both topics. For my level of experience it will be money well spend to go with the experts. I'm going to give Booth-Arons a call to see what they say. I'm also going to give NAPA a call just to see how they compare. Looks like it might be a long weekend in the garage no better way to spend a vacation....=)

Thanks !
Old 04-27-2011, 10:19 PM
70L46
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Give Automotive Machine in Fraser a call. They did the heads for my 70 a couple of years ago and they have some excellent machinists there.

http://www.automotivemachine.net/
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 PM
nosgbody
Cruising

Originally Posted by 70L46
Give Automotive Machine in Fraser a call. They did the heads for my 70 a couple of years ago and they have some excellent machinists there.

http://www.automotivemachine.net/
I know the Fraser area well.....Thanks and will do
Old 04-29-2011, 03:32 PM
M1Cruiser
Instructor

Drove by Booth-Arons to day and it looks like the they might be out of business. There's a for sale sign on the building. If they are gone, see Mike Casey at A&A in Davison 810-653-1891. It's a little drive, but Mike always does a great job.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:57 PM
DYNAMIC RON
Instructor

PM Sent.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:05 PM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by M1Cruiser
Drove by Booth-Arons to day and it looks like the they might be out of business. There's a for sale sign on the building. If they are gone, see Mike Casey at A&A in Davison 810-653-1891. It's a little drive, but Mike always does a great job.
Booth-Arons out of business? Really?

They still have a pretty active website.
http://www.bootharons.net/index.htm

If this is true, it's another sad sign of the times.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:26 AM
40flier
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

R & M Machine Shop in Ypsilanti (734-481-0310) has done work for me and friends. You will save $$, he used to be a production rebuild shop but crate motors have put a crimp in his business. Ron is no nonsense guy who works alone and has been doing this forever. I had questions about what he found in a Pontiac 389 and posted questions on forums. Some national builders were impressed with his analysis of my problems. He doesn't try to upsell and will deal with what you have. He used to run his own SBC drag car.

PM if you'd like details
Old 04-30-2011, 11:28 AM
nosgbody
Cruising

Originally Posted by DYNAMIC RON
PM Sent.
Ron I just blew up your PM inbox.....still getting use to this forum.....=)

thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 11:29 AM
nosgbody
Cruising

Originally Posted by 40flier
R & M Machine Shop in Ypsilanti (734-481-0310) has done work for me and friends. You will save $$, he used to be a production rebuild shop but crate motors have put a crimp in his business. Ron is no nonsense guy who works alone and has been doing this forever. I had questions about what he found in a Pontiac 389 and posted questions on forums. Some national builders were impressed with his analysis of my problems. He doesn't try to upsell and will deal with what you have. He used to run his own SBC drag car.

PM if you'd like details
thanks I'll PM you later tonight...gotta get the lawn tractor running before it rains...
Old 05-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

Automotive Machine. Fraser. Machined my LS6 ('02 Z06) block and gave me very good prices on forged pistons/rods/gaskets etc.
Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:36 AM
nosgbody
Cruising

Originally Posted by Tourmgr1
Automotive Machine. Fraser. Machined my LS6 ('02 Z06) block and gave me very good prices on forged pistons/rods/gaskets etc.
Good Luck.

now i have few reliable options. I'll be doing a little bit of phone work on Monday.

thanks !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Machine shop SE Michigan

Quick Reply: Looking for Machine shop SE Michigan