Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Warning my fellow Gear Heads-Its now a Misdemeanor Crime in IL for speeding 30mph!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:39 PM
ipmtim
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Errick
Don't take this personally but I hate the state of Illinois for a number of reasons and this just adds another reason.

I avoid even passing through Illinois whenever possible.

Sorry.

No offense taken, I hate this state too.
This just makes the case to escape accross the border to the north stronger.
Tim
Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 PM
BrianH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlyfrank
Bastards!
That's what I said!

if I want to get my ***** wet, just let me pay excessive taxes and go get my penicillin refill FFS!

SO one thing I'm wondering with this is if this is going to be mandatory or optionally enforced. Hasn't 40+ over always been capable of being charged with reckless driving? I know many who have been hit going faster than that and never got that charge.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by BrianH
That's what I said!

if I want to get my ***** wet, just let me pay excessive taxes and go get my penicillin refill FFS!

SO one thing I'm wondering with this is if this is going to be mandatory or optionally enforced. Hasn't 40+ over always been capable of being charged with reckless driving? I know many who have been hit going faster than that and never got that charge.
Brian,

No, its going to be in the discretion of the LEO (like always) to cut you and slack or not just like its always been so get ready to say Yes Sir, No Sir, Yes Sir, No Sir, etc., etc., when he clocks you going 98 mph in a 55 mph zone, and your HOPING and PRAYING he only writes you up for 85 in a 55 mph zone!

And yes, going over 40+ over always has been reckless driving and a Class A Misdemeanor and the only thing about going over 40 now is that if you get arrested for that, you CANNOT get Supervision if the ticket is for 40 mph over the limit.

The BIGGER more severe change in the law is that going 30 mph over the posted limit is now no longer just a serious speeding ticket (moving violation), but is NOW (for the first time) a minor crime, but enough for the LEO to place you under arrest and take you to the station so you can bail out,etc.

SO then you get pulled over doing 86 mph in a 55 mph zone you better start practicing saying Yes Sir, No Sir, Yes Sir, etc., HOPING that he only rights you up for 29 mph over the limit!

OF course the fines on all these speeding tickets are going to go WAY up also!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 01-08-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:24 PM
SupermanZ
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by johnnyvettes
just another reason to move out of this miserable state !
Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Funny how the state can change the rules too better help bring Additional funding to the state. I thought we had a say so.HAHAHAHA!!! WHAT A JOKE........Sheep!!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 PM
BrianH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy f/k/a Blown ECS Z06
The BIGGER more severe change in the law is that going 30 mph over the posted limit is now no longer just a serious speeding ticket (moving violation), but is NOW (for the first time) a minor crime, but enough for the LEO to place you under arrest and take you to the station so you can bail out,etc.

SO then you get pulled over doing 86 mph in a 55 mph zone you better start practicing saying Yes Sir, No Sir, Yes Sir, etc., HOPING that he only rights you up for 29 mph over the limit!

OF course the fines on all these speeding tickets are going to go WAY up also!
Of course the fines are going to go up, and if speed cameras come around then they'll probably go up more and most of that money will go to someone's cousin or brother who owns a company that's going to provide that service to the state. . . we all know how it goes now.

I just find this humorous because I rarely drive into Chicago, but when I do just about everyone on the Congress Parkway is capable of getting a 30+ over ticket. .
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Fuzzy Walnuts
Burning Brakes

Ahhh, I love when the state gives me more POWER!!! MUUUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Walnuts
Uncle Will strikes again!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 01-08-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's much worse in VA and NC.

In NC, anything more than 15 over or in excess of 80 is a misdemeanor with automatic suspension of your licence if convicted

If you get a ticket, within the week you get 50 offers in the mail from lawyers who can plea it down via the DA to a 9 over for $500 to $1,000.

"But officer, I wasn't speeding -- I was qualifying...."
Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
It's much worse in VA and NC.

In NC, anything more than 15 over or in excess of 80 is a misdemeanor with automatic suspension of your licence if convicted

If you get a ticket, within the week you get 50 offers in the mail from lawyers who can plea it down via the DA to a 9 over for $500 to $1,000.

"But officer, I wasn't speeding -- I was qualifying...."
Those darn ambulance chasing Attorneys will get you everytime!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM
rootpooty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all of you should move to my neck of the woods here in the good ole country side of indiana where nobody gives a horses patooty how fast you go. its nice owning a vette out here i know what you guys mean though sometimes i go to the clubs in downtown chicago and leaving there at around 4am i get passed like im standing still going about 80
Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by rootpooty
all of you should move to my neck of the woods here in the good ole country side of indiana where nobody gives a horses patooty how fast you go. its nice owning a vette out here i know what you guys mean though sometimes i go to the clubs in downtown chicago and leaving there at around 4am i get passed like im standing still going about 80
I would move to Indiana over this garbage State any day of the week if it wasan't for family and career. In Indiana I could do a lot more hardcore hot rodding, have A LOT more property and home for a fraction of the cost, go shooting in my back yard, and carry a pistola for personal protection.

Do you guys REALIZE this wonderful state of ours is the only state in the Country that does not allow law abiding citizens to carry a firearm for personal protection, thanks to Cook County and its liberal azz corrupt politicians (that right there is SICKENING to me)!!!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 01-10-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Walnuts

IL SUCKS BALLZZZZZ

Garbage state.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:58 AM
GatewayShepherd
Racer

Originally Posted by BIGBOS
I always use radar, but instant on radar they use will kill you if you are doing solo runs. I might need to invest in an actual jammer
An actual K, KA, X radar jammer will net you a $10,000 fine from the FCC if when stopped for speeding and the LEO realizes what it is!

No detector will keep you from getting a ticket with Instant On also refered to in some parts as POP. Less then half a second for a lock on a moving vehicle. Here is where good judgement and careful observation plays a big role.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:19 PM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to say that every time I've been to IL I've been glad to go back to MI. As cool as the Chicago crew is, I think any W. MI + CC events should be in IN or MI instead...

So basically: my condolences.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 PM
BrianH
Burning Brakes

The more I think about this the more this is absolutely humorous to me.

6 Months of housing an inmate in 2008 was $10,667, so you know that's probably gone up by about 2 grand by now. In addition to that the court costs associated with it, the person cited may lose their job, possibly their house, and then will likely take advantage of more state funded programs when they get out costing even more. . . wouldn't be surprised if their spouses get state aid while they're locked up either. . So after fines it's probably going to cost another 13 grand or so to house someone for a minor traffic offense.

No wonder these clowns can't trim the budget, they still don't know our state has a spending problem.

30+ mph over= 1500$ ticket, a class b crime/misdemeanor, and 6 months in jail
40+ mph over= 1500$ ticket, 1 year in jail and no supervison
Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 AM
blwnc5
Drifting

I don't have to worry about this I never speed, And i drive with my hands in the 10 2 position.

Get notified of new replies

To Warning my fellow Gear Heads-Its now a Misdemeanor Crime in IL for speeding 30mph!!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blwnc5
I don't have to worry about this I never speed, And i drive with my hands in the 10 2 position.
You too??!!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Witt748
Pro

I guess Quinn was listening to our complaints about how ****ty our state is and raised our taxes 67%!!!!.... wait a second... that makes me want to leave IL even more!!!

As far as the speeding is concerned, it looks like I'm going to have to make more trips to the track so I don't have as much urge to open it up so much, becoming less and less worth it... it has me questioning any performance mods too, this car can get you cuffed in a matter of seconds stock, mods will only increase that chance.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:52 PM
rootpooty
Burning Brakes

as i mentioned earlier about me living in indiana. i recently moved up here from florida and the toll roads down there are like driving on gold!!! so when i visit chicago and jump on the skyway and come to a toll that is 3 DOLLARS!!! ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME?!!! 3 dollars for a toll that looks like its about to fall apart? im not complaining about 3 dollars i mean comeon there is alot of stuff to complain about illinois plus how do you guys in illinios drive nice cars with an ugly license tag mounted in the front lol?

Quick Reply: Warning my fellow Gear Heads-Its now a Misdemeanor Crime in IL for speeding 30mph!!