Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

road america elkhart tips.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:27 AM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 567 Posts

Default road america elkhart tips.

Signing up tor a track event, and just wondering what i'm going to need other then a helmet and a smile. This will be my first time tracking the Z so i cant wait.
Do i need to bring pads, or will i be okay for one event. I would think i would be good. &k miles on the car.
Any other pointers would be greately appreciated.
Thanks John.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:05 AM
COBrien
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Congratulations, you'll have a great time!!

I'd strongly recommend getting some track pads. They'll work better and last longer. I burned up an entire set of stock pads on my Z06 in less than a full day at Autobahn. You brake less at RA, but you're still going to kill the brakes. And, if you can, bed the new pads in before getting on track, otherwise you end up losing a track session in order to get it done.

Not sure what the rules are for the group you're running with, but generally long-sleeved shirt and long pants will be required.

If you plan on tracking regularly, I'd also suggest a harness bar and harnesses. The stock Z seats are terrible on track; every time you brake you'll end up sliding under the steerting wheel, in turns you'll be sliding around on the seat and trying to brace yourself with your knees. Harnesses will keep you planted and let you enjoy driving more, plus they're safer.

Oh, and obviously make sure you've got fresh oil, and bleed the brakes (and flush the brakes if the fluid looks like it needs it).

Good luck!

Last edited by COBrien; 12-24-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:31 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the info. Really looking forward to seeing what this car and driver can do.
Will look into the pads. Think the session is 4-20minute runs. Four different classes. April 18-19. MFBA Road America if anyones interested.Thanks again.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:41 PM
70L46
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

A spare set of rotors isn't a bad idea either. I've used PFC01 pads at RA with Motul 600 fluid, and never had an issue with brakes, but aggressive track pads will chew up rotors fast. I cracked a front rotor and having a spare set kept me going for the weekend.

If you can get some rides to help learn the track that would be helpful, and if you can get someone to coach you in your car even better.

That track is a blast, be safe and have fun
Old 12-24-2008, 10:58 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'd STRONGLY reccomend participation in other track days before running RA. It is NOT a beginner friendly track, there are a LOT of walls and trees VERY close to the edge of the track. I would suggest Gingerman as a place to start out. There is really just one wall, and it would be TOUGH to find a way to hit it. It is also a tighter, more technical track which will help you learn the car control you'll need.

Autobahn, either north OR south, but not the FULL track are also good. There are more armco's than Gingerman, but it's still lower speed than RA, and still safer overall.

Don't get me wrong, I love RA. It's one of my favorite tracks, but the cost of a mistake at RA is EXCEPTIONALLY high. I've got about 20 track days under my belt, in four different cars including an 04 Z06 and a 2008 Coupe and I am still reluctant to run RA in anger.

If you are going to run it, I too would suggest track pads. Carbotechs are a good choice. Bleed the brakes with DOT4 fluid like Motul 600 or ATE Superblue. Doublecheck your alignment before you go. Also, check the racing forum for suggested tire pressures to start at, and at the track, ask for some help reading the sidwall of the tire to know if you should go up or down with your pressures.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:06 AM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys, will take all this in. Probably go with some kinda race pad.Being my first time i was thinking i would be good to go. The more i read the more i'm not good with stock pads.
I'm a pretty aggresive driver so i will look into pad and fluid swap before i do this.
Whats the best pad for track and street? Just wondering if they make something like this.Either way pad swaps would be easy on the lift. And i got some service manuals for christmas, sweet. It's just so cold here in Chicago. But snow will be melting Friday High of 54.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 377 Likes on 312 Posts

I haven't had any trouble starting out at RA but those are good points. I had fade driving C5 ZO6 pads hard. I enjoy braking deep and if you do as well then put some track pads on. It'd be worth taking a spare set of rotors as well. If you put new rotors on the odds are very high that they will last two days but it wouldn't hurt to have spares just in case. High temp race brake fluid is a good idea. I've run Carbotech XP8's on the track and street with good results.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:35 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Whats the best pad for track and street? Just wondering if they make something like this.
If they make it, it's called the holy grail.

Street pads are designed to be quiet, cause as little dust as possible and work well when they are cold. If you are driving along and need to execute a panic stop, they will stop you. On the street, you would likely slow down, or at least drive in a straight line again for a while before needing a PANIC stop again.

Track pads are desgined to let you "panic" stop over, and over, and over again every few seconds which is what you need on a racetrack. This causes a LOT of heat, so these brake pads are designed to operate well at a higher heat range. As a result, when they are colder, they won't necessiarly stop as well. They tend to be noisy, causing squealing on every stop. They also tend to dust like CRAZY!

Trying to compromise these two VERY different design goals gets you a set of pads that aren't good for either situation.

I would reccomend Carbotech pads. XP8 or XP10 (or XP10 front, XP8 rear.) More aggressive pads (XP12) will tend to lock up your wheels. These would be good if you had R-compound tires. (no need for that, especially on your first day.)

At ANY event, it's important to leave your ego at home. This is general advice for ANYONE. I don't know you, and I am not taking a shot at you, this is general advice for ANYONE tracking their car, especially the first time. People are GOING to be faster than you. People with cars you think are slower than a Z06. Let them pass. Also, listen to your instructor. Some people tune out the instructor, or act as though they don't trust them. The instructor will guide you to the proper line, and will help you build speed gradually. This IS the best way to approach a track event.

My first few track days were VERY humbling. I went with an open mind. I let everyone pass, and I tried to do everything the instructor told me to do, but I found it more difficult than I thought it would be.

Speed will come, don't expect it on your first event.

It really is a LOT of fun. So relax and enjoy it!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 377 Likes on 312 Posts

Watching video can help learn the line, here's one from the NCM event.

http://vimeo.com/2377766
Old 12-26-2008, 09:52 AM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Nice video, this sold me for sure on this event.
Thanks.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:25 PM
UNKNOWN
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Signing up tor a track event, and just wondering what i'm going to need other then a helmet and a smile. This will be my first time tracking the Z so i cant wait.
Do i need to bring pads, or will i be okay for one event. I would think i would be good. &k miles on the car.
Any other pointers would be greately appreciated.
Thanks John.

Stay at the holiday inn express in sheboygan to save bux

there is stuff to do in the area at night

bring home some brats too

Get notified of new replies

To road america elkhart tips.

Quick Reply: road america elkhart tips.