Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Question for you Michigan owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 05:41 AM
dkwebb2727
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for you Michigan owners

I'm considering a move from Atlanta, GA to the Detroit area for a job. Having lived in Georgia for many years I can tell that the weather is part of the fun here. I get to drive my corvette most weeks out of the year. (I only drive it when the weather's clear, otherwise it's parked in the gararge with a cover on it).

Also, there's lots' of racing action here from March through November. (Road Atlanta being my favorite pass time). I also go to NASCAR races in Atlanta and Talladega, AL.

My question for the Michiganders is: What do you do to get through Winter? What months out of the year are you able to at least get out for a quick drive with clean/dry roads. (I hate salt!).

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Also anyone with comments about the state of the state (Michigan) are welcome. I hate what's happening with the Detroit 3.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:47 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

"My question for the Michiganders is: What do you do to get through Winter? What months out of the year are you able to at least get out for a quick drive with clean/dry roads. (I hate salt!)."

Clean, dry roads = April through October. Under the car cover Nov-Mar, major pot holes during the winter months.

What to do, ice fishing, skiing, snow mobiling, keeping your winter beater car running, and visiting Atlanta. NASCAR runs a couple of races at MIS during the season, the Indy Car race was just cancelled for 2009 due to the economy.

Lived there for many years before moving south. Tough times in Michigan now, hope things turn around soon, have some close friends there.

Good luck with your move. There's still plenty to do up that way, just make the most of the opportunities.

Last edited by MAC5; 12-24-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:50 AM
e6bailey
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may want to post in the Great Lakes section.

I live in Michigan and Indiana and all I can tell you is that it sucks!

You can forget about driving your Vette from about November until sometime in March. The weather is so unpredictable to find a day in the winter when the roads are clear, its not worth even getting the car out.

Its not easy getting through the winter, if your like me you spend a lot of time on this forum costing yourself money. I cant drive the car so you can mod it in the winter time try and pass the time. New Exhaust going on tomorrow (hopefully), and I cant leave the garage to hear it once its on
Old 12-24-2008, 07:59 AM
yelloyello
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7, 9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by dkwebb2727
I'm considering a move from Atlanta, GA to the Detroit area for a job.

My question for the Michiganders is: What do you do to get through Winter? What months out of the year are you able to at least get out for a quick drive with clean/dry roads. (I hate salt!).

Also anyone with comments about the state of the state (Michigan) are welcome. I hate what's happening with the Detroit 3.
You must have found the last job in Michigan! Do you know where in the Detroit area you will be?

As previously mentioned, from sometime in November to about the beginning of March my car is tucked away. You might get lucky and get a day or 2 within then to take the car out, but I do not. I can't do all of the mods I want to do right now due to my having 2 teenage daughters! But many people to save the winter months for modding(takes some of the pain away) plus then your car isn't down in the summer. There are several tracks within a decent distance for road racing and drag racing.

Good luck with your move. If I can help with anything, please let me know.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:00 AM
poolboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My question for the Michiganders is: What do you do to get through Winter?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Stealthy4
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by yelloyello
You must have found the last job in Michigan!

Most people here want to get out of the state, not come to it. LOL

As other have mentioned, the car is parked from late october through march.

I personally like to take the time to get the car ready for another year of driving. I usually clean everything thoroughly, brake pads (if needed), clean the wheel wells, change all the fluids, check all the belts, and fix anything that i broke during the previous year (squeeks, rattles, pretty much anything loose)
Old 12-24-2008, 12:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I thought the only job left in Michigan was counting those who didn't have a job(and that's a .gov job)
Old 12-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Motsiv2
Racer

The only good thing I can think of is when spring comes. When you uncover the Vette, it feels like a new car all over again!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:33 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Lived in Michigan most of my life but spent time at Ft Stewart, GA and loved it!
The good part about Michigan is the changing of the seasons. It is such a joy to put the top down on the first nice spring day that it is almost worth going through the winter.
Some of the roads in Michigan are horrible as many of the cities and counties do not have enough money to fix them or even to maintain them. Most of the State roads and Interstates are good though.
Last summer I went to look at a Vette in West Bloomfield (Detroit suburb) and the road (Orchard Lake Road) was horrific! Potholes and expansion joint seperation that could ruin your alignment in just one block - but that road went on for miles! One of the reasons the lady was selling it was that she hated driving those bad roads.
Some of the winters are mild and you can have days with dry roads when you can exercise your toy. There have been a couple of Christmas days when I washed my car in the driveway in my T-shirt.
NOT THIS YEAR THOUGH! We have already had 30" of snow in West Michigan with a winter storm warning in effect until Christmas morning.
You will love the Great Lakes and the relatively easy access to car shows such as Bloomington Gold, Mid America Fun Fest and Corvettes at Carlisle. It is only a 6-7 hour drive to Bowling Green too.
Detroit has a strong following here on the Forum with a lot of partying and events on that side of the state.
I used to own a hot rod boat and would be on the water from early May thru Halloween. The Corvettes would usually come out in late March and run the streets until late November/early December. The rule of thumb seems to be to wait until the first gully washer rain storm has flushed all the winter salt from the roads before taking it out and putting it away when they first use the salt in winter.
The winter season gives you an excuse to get those pesky maintenance jobs done along with the upgrades.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:37 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

This year I drove my C5 from March thru the first weekend in December,
It is always on the road in april and in november so at minimum 8 months and occasionaly 9 or 10.

MIS has NASCAR races in June and August
Indianapolis is only about 3 hours away... and brings the "500" on memorial Day weekend and the brickyard 400 Nascar event.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

like everyone said. Driving season here is april-early november.

As far as racing action. There is plenty around here as well. We have grattan raceway (which is near grand rapids) Gingerman raceway (near south haven) and waterford. There is a local group that has regular track days at these locations along with a couple other locations about once a month.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:56 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Do the put off projects in winter, such as, mod to my 2 Vettes, etc.
For March thru October enjoy driving the Vette. Join the Corvette Club of Michigan based in Dearborn outside Detroit. We Autocross, Drag race, Rallye and Cruise.
Winter sucks!!
Old 12-25-2008, 01:26 PM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealthy4
I personally like to take the time to get the car ready for another year of driving. I usually clean everything thoroughly, brake pads (if needed), clean the wheel wells, change all the fluids, check all the belts, and fix anything that i broke during the previous year (squeeks, rattles, pretty much anything loose)
Exactly! I do all that and then some.

Last winter it got new Bilstein Z51s all the way around, front sway bar bushings(inspected bushings and found those bad), front and rear HPS pads, transmission fluid and filter change and some minor cosmetics. This winter it's just getting a brake bias spring, rear tires and some cosmetic items; earlier it got the intake gaskets changed and new brake hoses all around.

You just get stuff done in the winter.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:45 PM
dkwebb2727
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. The job is in Livonia and we're thinking about Novi or Farmington Hills to live, depending on schools (I have 2 high schoolers)

As far as the road conditions, I hadn't thought about that. In Georgia roads are generally great, but there's just not enough of them for all of us to use.

Working on the car in winter sounds good though. Many times I put off doing things that I would like to because I don't want the car to be unuseable when it's a nice day.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:32 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Thanks for the replies. The job is in Livonia and we're thinking about Novi or Farmington Hills to live, depending on schools (I have 2 high schoolers)

As far as the road conditions, I hadn't thought about that. In Georgia roads are generally great, but there's just not enough of them for all of us to use.

Working on the car in winter sounds good though. Many times I put off doing things that I would like to because I don't want the car to be unuseable when it's a nice day.

Take a Look at Plymouth/ Northville Great schools a little newer neighborhoods & Plymouth has a great Downtown. both within 10 minutes of Livonia.

Keep in mind you can travel to Road Atlanta & VIR track days end in Dec and Start bacjk in Feb. In the summer you have Waterford hills 40 minutes, Grattan 2.5 hours, Gingerman 2.5 hours, Mid Ohio 3 hours, Mosport 4 hrs, Nelson Ledges 3.5 hrs, Putnam Park 4.5 hours, Autobahn 4 + hours just to name a few.

We're always looking for track rats to join the group.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:03 PM
96KICKS
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

We are STILL the Motor City Capital of the World! Sure many things are uncertain, but . . . if you are a car enthusiast . . . The Motor City and the Motor City Vettes is where you should BE! If you move here, you have plenty vette events to keep you busy!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:10 AM
bad-zr1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the Michigan Region of NCCC web site at http://michcorvette.org/index.html
It has links to Corvette clubs in Michigan and events held during the year.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for you Michigan owners

Old 12-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Motsiv2
Racer

I have relatives in Farmington Hills. Great, Great area with good schools. Novi isn't bad either.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:03 PM
fine59
Instructor

Default Say Yes to Michigan.

Yes, Michigan does have some good things going for it, the summers cant be beat!! Great boating and fishing in just about any direction you go. The Port Huron to Mackinaw sailboat race and pre party is awesome. Hunting is always popular. Hot air ballon fest in Howell, but one of the best things about Southeast Mi. is this great new Corvette Road Tour group. "MCRTA" http://forums.corvetteforum.com/grou...sociation.html
Check it out, we just started up in 2008 and had 2 fun road tours.
So yes, Michigan can be a great place live if you care to make it so. The winters are a challenge but at least it gives us plenty of time to tweak and polish your Corvette. Lots of Luck TF
Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Dreamcruiser1977
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
East MI Events Coordinator

If the streets are dry in the winter I am out and put the top down. More realistically I put it up just after going to Hell, MIchigan for Halloween and it is out by St Patricks Day in March. The two largest clubs in Michigan are Americas Corvette Club in West Bloomfield and Corvette Club of Michigan in Dearborn. Both have over 200 members. CCM is more of a racing club and ACC is known for the LARGEST CORVETTE SHOW in the region. Get a copy of Cruizin News and you will be overwhelmed at the amount of cruise night here. During the winter we also have the Auto Show and Autorama. Even if you didn't move here you have to go to Woodward Dream Cruise at least once. I oved here in 2001 from Chicago area. This is one of the best spots for a car guy. After the winter snow melts all of the classic rods come out. Every day you will see more and more Corvettes also. I moved here in 2001 and on my first trip down Woodward I pulled over to talk to some guys about their cars and it was like I have known them all my life. There is so much to do here when the weather warms that you almost look forward to winter to get some rest. The area you are moving to is a good area and I am sure you family will enjoy it. If you do move here and you ever get bored give me a call. My wife and I will meet up with you. And like someone already mentioned we are still the MOTOR CITY.

Quick Reply: Question for you Michigan owners