Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Race Ramps

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Plentyfast
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Race Ramps

Have any of you local Boyz tried these Ramps?

Race Ramps
http://www.raceramps.com
Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

They look great but are a bit more money than I would care to pay for something that I would use so rarely. If you search around here there are drawings on how to make your own from wood, just as capable and a fraction of the cost.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:49 PM
SupermanZ
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Charles, I have a set and bought them about a year ago. Have not used them once, but hopefully will over the winter. They are well constructed and I agree that the price is up there, but it's cheaper than a four post lift.
It really depends on what your going to do and I do not plan to do much more than change the oil or clean under the car.

BTW...missed you at VetteFest
Old 11-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Plentyfast
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
They look great but are a bit more money than I would care to pay for something that I would use so rarely. If you search around here there are drawings on how to make your own from wood, just as capable and a fraction of the cost.
Make my own ... it that like work?

Thanks

I already have jack stands and a jack.

But I may get the Role Ups

Old 11-20-2007, 01:55 PM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would only use ramps for clearance for a floor jack. I would never work under a set of ramps ever in my life. In 91' my cousin was killed right before his 18th b-day when his nova rolled and crushed him. Mistakes happen even if your cautious so I cannot reccomend ramps again unless you are only looking to beable to slide a jack under the car and use stands.
-=Rick
Old 11-20-2007, 01:59 PM
SupermanZ
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by VetteTech81
I would only use ramps for clearance for a floor jack. I would never work under a set of ramps ever in my life. In 91' my cousin was killed right before his 18th b-day when his nova rolled and crushed him. Mistakes happen even if your cautious so I cannot reccomend ramps again unless you are only looking to beable to slide a jack under the car and use stands.
-=Rick
Thanks Rick, good advice.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:59 PM
RandyVettes
Life's Short. Drive Hard.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'09

A friend of mine in high school had a 70 charger roll off ramps onto him. By sheer luck the car had enough ground clearance and he was skinny enough and positioned in a place where he didn't get killed. He couldnt get out from unerneath the car though and thankfully his parents heard him screaming under the car and used a floor jack to lift it enough for him to squirm out unharmed. He's never used ramps since.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Plentyfast
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RandyVettes
A friend of mine in high school had a 70 charger roll off ramps onto him. By sheer luck the car had enough ground clearance and he was skinny enough and positioned in a place where he didn't get killed. He couldnt get out from unerneath the car though and thankfully his parents heard him screaming under the car and used a floor jack to lift it enough for him to squirm out unharmed. He's never used ramps since.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:26 PM
perfectlyfrank
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Cruise-In 8, 9 & 11 Veteran

I had bought a set of regular Rhino ramps, which didn't clear the Vette. I ended up making a set out of 2x10's for a few bucks that give me enough clearance to get my low profile jack under so I can use jack stands.

If you want to come by sometime and see them you can. I basically built a 2 tiered version of these: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=wood+ramps I did angle cuts at the ends.

Last edited by perfectlyfrank; 11-20-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: 2x10's not 2x6's
Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Tyler_Z06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The raceramps place also sells a set of chocks to use right behind the front wheels of the car (on the ramps). Might help with rollback cases but if you're cautious and have the car in gear/park/parking brake, I think they're nice for changing oil. If you're going to be wrenching on the car or really doing serious stuff a lift is the way to go.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:48 PM
kvozel
Safety Car

Location: Centerville OH "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

of course, you could build a set of Corvette ramps:
http://mikemercury.home.att.net/ramp.htm
Always the salesman
Old 11-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I finally had a chance to see these Race Ramps in person at Carlisle this year. The rep standing nearby... seemed to know my forum name ???

To their benefit, they are lightweight, but still solid in construction (race ramps are not hollow). The degree-angle of rise ... is just low enough to allow a non-lowered Corvette to pull on to without scraping. And you can get them up to 10" total lift; which is SUPER

I was very impressed.

of course, you could build a set of Corvette ramps:
http://mikemercury.home.att.net/ramp.htm

Mistakes happen even if your cautious so I cannot reccomend ramps again unless you are only looking to beable to slide a jack under the car and use stands.
-=Rick
I couldn't agree more. Ramps alone are not enough, neither is a jack or jack stands alone good enough.

Always use wheel chocks for any wheels that are in contact with the floor, and jack-stands as a secondary support device.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-=Rick
I agree 100% I only use the ramps to get the car high enough to put a floor jack under the car. Then put a set of real jack stands under the car before working underneath it.

Get notified of new replies

To Race Ramps

Quick Reply: Race Ramps