Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Track Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:02 PM
vetteconvert2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Tires

Looking for recommendations on track tires.

Over the last few years, the guys at HP did a phenomenal job adding hp and torq to my C5 (not ZO6). Rwhp 416, rtrq 373 - heads, cam, headers. As the year-end nears, I couldn't resist taking it to the track (GLD) yesterday (Saturday), and was able to get 8 runs in. Never really been to the track before. I knew from an experience level that I wouldn't have expected to touch anyone there. I was right - but I'm hoping it had more to do with the tires than with me. Pretty good reaction times, but could not get the tires to hook up. First three runs on competitive mode - practically sat there. Then launches at 2,000 - 1500 rpms didn't help. Could only hook up the rest of the day with tracktion control on. The last two runs were with the tires cleaned off in the water tank - best was 13.1 at 115mph. I would think this car should easily be in the 12s.

I had recenlty replaced the stock wheels and tires with C6 wheels (18F, 19R) and Firehawk wide ovals RF. Actually a decent street tire - lousy for the track. I had no intention of taking the car to the track but I couldn't resist seeing what the car (and I) could do. Once I got going, the car really moved. The problem was getting going, and wheel spin in second and third. Embarrassing would be too kind.

I still have the stock polished aluminum wheels (17F, 18R) and don't want to invest in new wheels. I would hope that there are tires that will really hook up when I go again. I want to keep the C6 wheels and firehawks just for the street.

Any advise as to great track tires, other than slicks, that will fit my stock C5 wheels would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

BFG Drag Radials in size 315/30 or 35/18s and better yet, the new Mickey Thompson 18 inch ET Drag Radial (a full street legal drag radials not the et streets which are bias ply like slicks) will hook you right up and power you into the 11s!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 PM
vetteconvert2
Advanced

That's exactly the advice I was looking for. I'll look them up and see if maybe I can get in another run before the time runs out. Thanks for the feedback.

I assume I can use the 17" stock Goodyear RFs in front. If not, let me know.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

You are welcome and yes, since you are running drag radials (a radial tire in front) you certainly can use your drag radials in front.

It's when you mix a bias ply rubber tire like an ET Street or ET Drag slick in back with radials in front, that the car gets squirelly on the top end and is downright dangerous, as the bias ply rubber fights against the drag radials in front.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 PM
vetteconvert2
Advanced

As for the front, that will save me some money using the stock 245/45 17 Goodyear F1 Rfs. My stock rear wheels, however, are 275/40 18" and are only 9.5" rims. I believe I can only get 285mm wide tires.

Will getting a drag radial that size be adequate, or will I need to get new wheels and 315s to get the results I am looking for. More importantly, if I get an 11-12" rim for the 315s, can I get an offset so I won't have to tub the car. And, what about the chance of a tire that wide rubbing the outer fender well.

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do it right.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by vetteconvert2
As for the front, that will save me some money using the stock 245/45 17 Goodyear F1 Rfs. My stock rear wheels, however, are 275/40 18" and are only 9.5" rims. I believe I can only get 285mm wide tires.

Will getting a drag radial that size be adequate, or will I need to get new wheels and 315s to get the results I am looking for. More importantly, if I get an 11-12" rim for the 315s, can I get an offset so I won't have to tub the car. And, what about the chance of a tire that wide rubbing the outer fender well.

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do it right.
I know for a fact that stock C5 Z06 10.5 rims will fit the 315/30 or 35/18 BFG Drag Radials as i have been there and done that on my old 03 MY C5 Z06. They stick out a bit who cares and there is no rubbing and they hook up very well at the track after getting some heat in them and lower pressure down to around 22 lbs. Pickup a used pair for cheap and slap them on when you go to the drags. Almost positive the MT ET drag Radials in 18s will fit right on the C5 rear Z06 rim also!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

These Mickey Thompson Drag Radials would work well that are for sale:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1856277
Old 11-13-2007, 12:55 AM
cselz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
I know for a fact that stock C5 Z06 10.5 rims will fit the 315/30 or 35/18 BFG Drag Radials as i have been there and done that on my old 03 MY C5 Z06. They stick out a bit who cares and there is no rubbing and they hook up very well at the track after getting some heat in them and lower pressure down to around 22 lbs. Pickup a used pair for cheap and slap them on when you go to the drags. Almost positive the MT ET drag Radials in 18s will fit right on the C5 rear Z06 rim also!
with everything he said all the way up to the top. Jimmy knows his stuff.
I have a very similar setup to yours (also by HP) and even though I have some remaining traction/wheel hop issues, I have the 315 BFG drag tires on mine and I'm running 12.3 with them full if air. I have the ET streets as well. They hook much better but are as Jim says bias ply so you would need to change out the fronts too. With traction and practice you can be right there (12 flat) and then some. Good luck!

-Chris

Last edited by cselz; 11-13-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:56 PM
canar
Instructor

They hook much better but are as Jim says bias ply so you would need to change out the fronts too.
So what your saying is Bias ply tires would be better if your only using them on the track?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:33 AM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

several things to consider: will these new tires be used for track only or will they stay on the car as a daily driver?
Track only tires - then M/T are the best
Track/street use - Nitto 555r's are very good-some limitations in rain but I
just slow down!!
305's or 315's can fit easily into wheel wells
Remember to inflate front tires to about 45 psi at the drag strip.
Burn outs are VIP -smoke them hard!! I use a line lock and it makes it easy
6 speed is problematic and takes a lot of practice to get a smooth launch-no smooth launch equals no good times!
I understand the idea is to get from 1st to 2nd gear as quick as possible off the line.
I have heads/cam-headers-Yank 3600 stall converter-3.42 gears and hardened shaft plus ancillary stuff-
best 1/4: 11.85/116 mph up in MIchigan on 79*day
psi in rear tires is 15psi
Old 11-16-2007, 08:23 AM
vetteconvert2
Advanced

Thanks for all the info. I'm am taking it all down. The tires will only be for the track so it looks like M/Ts are it. I'll look for a set with 10.5 wheels. I have the Fire Hawk wide ovals for the street which are just fine for me, as my wife and I take trips.

But I have this bug to see what it (and I) will do at the track. Things to note, tire pressure front and rear - check, burn outs - check, 6 speed touchy - need to focus on 60' and 60' to 330' times.

Now I can't wait till spring. Maybe I'll see you guys at Hps. And no one says they can't have a winter BBQ.

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Tires

Quick Reply: Track Tires