Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Next Years Corvette Fun Fest

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:36 AM
3vettefam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear what most of you are saying, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I mean I agree that it has definitely changed over the years, but I actually liked how it was a little more spread out this year. I definitely did not care for the way the museum was set up or the ordering area, but other than that it wasn't too bad.

For me, the $20 isn't that big a deal...not because I am made of money, but because this is something that my dad and I do together every single year. I moved out of my parents house about two years ago, so we don't get to see each other as much as we used to, so knowing no matter what that every year we will spend 3 days together is a major plus for me. We really enjoy chatting it up in the car and then spending a weekend doing something that we love. No money can buy that kind of precious time together. So, if I gotta pay the $20 to spend some really great father/daughter time then so be it!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 AM
mwvette69
Instructor

My only problem with this years event were the lines. To check in, lines to the food {I stood for a least 30 min just for a burger} and lines to order something from Mid America. This was Saturday I know it was the busy day. Lines are the worst.That would keep me from going back.Not to mention the full port-ta-potty's

JMO. Marc

Last edited by mwvette69; 09-26-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 AM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mwvette69
My only problem with this years event was the lines. To check in, lines to the food {I stood for a least 30 min just for a burger} and lines to order something from Mid America. This was Saturday I know it was the busy day. Lines are the worst.That would keep me from going back.Not to mention the full port-ta-potty's

JMO. Marc
I noticed the same thing. I would hope that they would see the problems from this year and work on trying to improve them for next year.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:06 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

oh yeah the lines....i was told to go reg in one line...waited there then they told us that iwas just for sales...errrr...move 2 more times and ended up getting shuffled to a line that would not take orders.....so guess where i spent the next 30 minutes....back in the original line...least the chick that kept moving us was hotttttttt as for bloomington gold it is on a golf course....well maintained at that. ididn't even touch my car when we got there. 40.00 well spent to me just not to have a car that needed a total detail when i got home. i about DIED when i opened my hood. i be back under diffrent circumstances next year so my biggest complaint will be gone....but 20.00 for a good day is not bad. i had 3.00 beer, 1.00 water and a 3.00 hamburger...at a concert or any other event that would be 6.00 beer, 3.00 water and 7.00 hambuger. point being it was not all bad...we had a good time and i would and will pay 20.00 to go..if i wasn't registered.... but i will drive back that nite....150.00 a nite for a 60.00 room is absolutly wrong!!!!!!!

Last edited by excessive81; 09-26-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Kevin 64
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can keep the t-shirts (they ran out by 2:30 on Saturday) and the poster. My 10% discount turned into a 10% overcharge. When my wife pointed it out to the cashier, she said she couldn't do anything about it. She'd have to walk over to the opposite side of the Mid America buildings to get it fixed.

Charge $20 and not even tell everyone that was there so we could all register? I'll not be back. He makes plenty of money at that event.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Casper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SCCA VETTE
Hey I take offence to that, one of the cars you described was mine It is not a award for the "cleanest" car. It is a award that is given on what the individual picking the car likes. Mine was picked on Friday by the editor of a magazine and I asked WHY. I was picked because they wanted to pick a car that was not just a show car BUT one that was street driven, weekend raced and was not pro built. I guess I fit all the requirements. I didnt even know anything about the awards until this year and I have been going for 8 years. I dont go with intents of winning anything and dont expect to.

Keep in mind that this year was Corvette Summer theme and they did pick some cars that were off the wall for that reason. The award this year even went along with the theme.
Not saying all or even most were bad choices. Just the burgundy '77 that was in front of me on Sunday . I would not even own that car if it was given to me.

Last edited by Casper; 09-27-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:47 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Casper
Not saying all or even most were bad choices. Just the burgundy '72 that was in front of me on Sunday . I would not even own that car if it was given to me.
OH i seen the car that you was talking about when I walked through the Forum area. I seen the baloon on it. Maybe the judge that picket it had one like it in HS and got lucky in it and it brought back memories

I agree that I myself would not have picked some that were picked due to my taste in cars. I was suprised that nobody picked that yellow C3 that was in the Forum section that had RAT or something like that on the hood. That was a very nice built car!!

I actually felt bad for getting picked on Friday. My father had been going to Funfest for 13 years and never won with his midyear. I didnt even know anything about the award and was only there about 15 minutes and they had hung a balloon on the car. On Sunday my dads car DID get picked by a judge witch I thought was really cool and made me feel better.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:49 PM
biglou71
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran

My wife and I stayed in Champaign this year, and will likely do so again next year, no crowding, no overcharging and a nice 1 hour drive to and from.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Originally Posted by biglou71
My wife and I stayed in Champaign this year, and will likely do so again next year, no crowding, no overcharging and a nice 1 hour drive to and from.

I did that once as well, but made the mistake of staying at the ECONLODGE, what a dump.

Maybe if EVERYONE boycotted the hotels close to the event next year that are gouging, the pricing problem might get solved. I can't help it to wonder if Mid America doesn't have some kind of deal going with the local hotels though, maybe this is how they pay for the entertainment.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Lou,

PM me with your e-mail address, I have a couple of pictures for you.

It was good to meet you, and we look forward to seeing again next year!

Steve
Old 09-26-2007, 11:56 PM
john m
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 66 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'06

Originally Posted by excessive81
150.00 a nite for a 60.00 room is absolutly wrong!!!!!!!
have you ever priced rooms in Indy for the 500 or Brickyard 400 weekends?? It doesnt matter if corvettes gather at Bloomington Gold, Carlisle, Eureka Springs Arkansas, Effingham or even an NCRS national events...the room rates get jacked up...
Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 AM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

We had a great time this year (and in past years) but this $20 thing really gets me. I don't mind the charge and I can see why he's doing it but I don't agree with doing it and only telling some of the people about it. We had 5 couples there that registered on Friday and nothing was said about it to any of them. Had we known about it we would have preregistered at the booth they had set up.

If I were running it, I'd get rid of the concert and the t-shirts, the quality of which has deteriorated in the last two years.

I stayed in Mattoon, about thirty miles north and it was great. Called to reserve rooms for next year at the same place (they wouldn't let us reserve rooms until Monday) and the room charge was raised $30 per night. Needless to say we won't be staying there next year.

Might have to take part in some other event next year.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by dbdave
We had a great time this year (and in past years) but this $20 thing really gets me. I don't mind the charge and I can see why he's doing it but I don't agree with doing it and only telling some of the people about it. We had 5 couples there that registered on Friday and nothing was said about it to any of them. Had we known about it we would have preregistered at the booth they had set up.

If I were running it, I'd get rid of the concert and the t-shirts, the quality of which has deteriorated in the last two years.

I stayed in Mattoon, about thirty miles north and it was great. Called to reserve rooms for next year at the same place (they wouldn't let us reserve rooms until Monday) and the room charge was raised $30 per night. Needless to say we won't be staying there next year.

Might have to take part in some other event next year.

They didn't announce it because Yager wants the $$$. He makes a fortune on Funfest, if he didn't it would have been dropped long ago. Funfest cannot even be compared to other shows because it is a "come buy from me" show, a promotion to make big $$$.
I can give a perfect example, he offers 10% off or free shipping. BFD! I was looking for a car cover so I priced a Cover King from him then I priced it direct from Cover King, almost $100. less direct from Cover King!! Do the math, he buys in volume so gets an even cheaper price than I could get then marks it way up. 10% discount is nothing.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I didn't start this thread to make people upset about the $20.00 registration fee to Fun Fest I just wanted people to know if they did not hear it at Fun Fest. What I am upset about it the Hotels in town and the area Hotels raising there prices so high. I know that there is nothing that Mike Yeager can do about it, but in the near future I think that between the $20.00 registration fee and the increasing price of Hotel rooms will start to hurt Fun Fest. I think it will be do to the Hotel Room Rates more the anything. Maybe then the Hotel owners in Effingham will get the idea that not all Vette owners are RICH when they can not fill there rooms for this event.
Maybe we should boycott the Hotels in Effingham. Wouldn't it be funny if everyone cancelled there rooms at the very last min. That would teach them.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:19 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
Maybe we should boycott the Hotels in Effingham. Wouldn't it be funny if everyone cancelled there rooms at the very last min. That would teach them.
Mid America and the hotels would all have a wakeup call if it rained for three straight days and nobody showed up. I think they're spoiled.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:23 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

Originally Posted by john m
have you ever priced rooms in Indy for the 500 or Brickyard 400 weekends?? It doesnt matter if corvettes gather at Bloomington Gold, Carlisle, Eureka Springs Arkansas, Effingham or even an NCRS national events...the room rates get jacked up...

noi live 40 minutes from the track...lol! i know they mark the rooms up i just think that it is nuts what they marking them up to. it pretty bad when the gas to drive 4 hours twice a day is cheaper then staying in a turd hole........especialy at 3.15 a gallon
Old 09-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by dbdave
Mid America and the hotels would all have a wakeup call if it rained for three straight days and nobody showed up. I think they're spoiled.
I never thought about the rain part of it, maybe that would be a good wakeup call for the Hotels. I know when 9-11 happened there were a lot of rooms cancelled. The next year they wanted to charge your credit card for 1 night if you booked 2 night stay and hold the second night billing till you got there. Some Hotels wanted you to book a minimum 2 night stay and now some want you to book a 3 night stay. Hell are they nuts 3 nights at those prices?

Get notified of new replies

To Next Years Corvette Fun Fest

Old 09-28-2007, 03:05 PM
vettejet2004
4th Gear

It will cost you $20 to register next year, but they will give you a gift certificate for $20. to spend on parts. Mike keeps looking for ways to get your money.
My car was never as dirty as it was parking in the back 40.He sure needs to work on the amount of dust in the air. It was like being back in Bloomington for the Gold.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:18 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettejet2004
It will cost you $20 to register next year, but they will give you a gift certificate for $20. to spend on parts. Mike keeps looking for ways to get your money.
My car was never as dirty as it was parking in the back 40.He sure needs to work on the amount of dust in the air. It was like being back in Bloomington for the Gold.

This is NOT TRUE!! When I went to Bloomington when it was at Bloomington, there was NO dust at all!!!! IT WAS ALL MUD DUE TO THE RAIN!!
Old 09-28-2007, 06:39 PM
SomeGuy
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I dont think $20 is too much to ask. Sometimes I think people get spoiled and dont realize how much it costs to put on something like funfest.

2 Tshirts
A poster
A nice book this year
10% off purchases, so if you spend $200 you just got your $20 dollars back.

Meh, $20 bucks is a small price for a weekend of fun shared with fellow Corvette owners and forum members. Hell, I spent alot more than that on gas and food.

It was $15.00 this year for the Corvettes that did not PRE REGISTER

That is probably what is going up. From $15.00 to $20.00.

Think about what you get, then complain

Quick Reply: Next Years Corvette Fun Fest