Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Car Shows: How Do They Compare???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:45 AM
NotSpdn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Shows: How Do They Compare???

I went to America's Corvette Club Corvette Show at the GM Technology Center grounds in Detroit Miuchigan Saturday August 12. I was partisipating in the competition, and today I am cleaning my car. Dust every where probably the worst this car has ever seen!

I would rather bake on the pavement, then see the car dirtier after the show than before the show! All of the cars were on the grass, and the earilier you arrived the worst the car looked in the end!

How can they score these car on cleanliness, when the grounds they are providing are dusty, dusty, and more dust!!!

I will add more later, but right now I have a car to clean!!!

I was very disappointed considering the DIRT!!

The actual show was nice, the activity was good, the partisipation was great, very well orginizied, but the DIRT WAS BAD!!!!

I would consider going back next year, but if the judging is on the grass, I will close the car up, and move it after the judging is done.

DIRT is every where in this car!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 12:09 PM
DRKCYDE
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VII & IX Veteran

I hope Zack and Scott can answer your questions. They both placed in the show where first through third was within a point.
At least everybody has the same problem you have. It's not like you were in grass and the car next to you wasn't.

You should have parked next to Hokie. He is good at pointing out things you missed.

Originally Posted by NotSpdn
I went to America's Corvette Club Corvette Show at the GM Technology Center grounds in Detroit Miuchigan Saturday August 12. I was partisipating in the competition, and today I am cleaning my car. Dust every where probably the worst this car has ever seen!

I would rather bake on the pavement, then see the car dirtier after the show than before the show! All of the cars were on the grass, and the earilier you arrived the worst the car looked in the end!

How can they score these car on cleanliness, when the grounds they are providing are dusty, dusty, and more dust!!!

I will add more later, but right now I have a car to clean!!!

I was very disappointed considering the DIRT!!

The actual show was nice, the activity was good, the partisipation was great, very well orginizied, but the DIRT WAS BAD!!!!

I would consider going back next year, but if the judging is on the grass, I will close the car up, and move it after the judging is done.

DIRT is every where in this car!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 01:11 PM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

thats a tough call

don't get me wrong, I know what you mean about the dirt

But I have also been to shows and felt like I was cooking (literally) on asphalt

Whats the answer ?
Old 08-13-2006, 01:16 PM
NotSpdn
Pro

I enjoyed the show a lot, and I am glad I went.

It was completely fair, No complaints there.

It took alot of work on the club's part.
You did a great job. Thank You!!

But in the end.... ALL our cars were very dusty. Inside, and outside.
And as I left at the end of the day, I saw a lot of unused parking lots that may have been put to better use. Leave the grass to the pedestrian traffic.

Would the parking lots be a better solution for the car display if there is enough room. We would all go home with reasonably clean cars.

It takes alot of work to clean the car to that level. I am washing my car today inside, and out, and I that is not what I wanted to do today.

Again, Thank you for the show, it was very good.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:25 PM
NotSpdn
Pro

Maybe if the car display on the pavement. The cars would be reasonably clean, and look their best. And their owners would be on the grass, enjoying the food, drinks, the new car display(can I have one?), the silent auction stuff, more good Corvette stuff, and spending more money, and staying cool while you do.

Sounds good to me.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:43 PM
DRKCYDE
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VII & IX Veteran

Now that you mention it, where the C5's were, is the only spot where they water the grass, so it was real nice over there. Everywhere else was pretty bad.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:05 PM
yelloyello
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7, 9-10 Veteran

The way I figure it, I bought my car to drive. In doing that, it is bound to get dirty/dusty. The only thing I need to do is take a microfiber towel and go over the interior. I guess a solution is bring a bubble or a container like they use for model cars and put it in there. Either way, I will go again next year and do it again!
They should make different divisions for miles driven. That would certainly change things. Also change custom class to the MO **** award. Because whoever wins usually has MO **** on their cars than is actually necessary!
Old 08-13-2006, 06:29 PM
NotSpdn
Pro

I bought my car to use too! Just not continually down a county dusty old dirt road.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Buckeye guy
Pro

I had to break out the duster several times, but thats ok. Next year after the judges judge my car I may roll up the windows and put the roof back on. I don't mind dust on the exterior of the car since it comes right off. Anyone have any idea how much money that guy spent on the Custom C5? He was the guy with the Miami Heat jersey on. I think he went a little overboard on the mods.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeye guy
Anyone have any idea how much money that guy spent on the Custom C5? He was the guy with the Miami Heat jersey on. I think he went a little overboard on the mods.

You think? I was trying to find something that he didn't have... but I think he had every possible non-power-adding mod on the planet. He even had a DUB badge on the side of the car.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:21 PM
YLWFVR75
Le Mans Master

Received 189 Likes on 91 Posts
SE Michigan Coordinator
CI 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11,-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had to break out the duster several times, but thats ok. Next year after the judges judge my car I may roll up the windows and put the roof back on. I don't mind dust on the exterior of the car since it comes right off. Anyone have any idea how much money that guy spent on the Custom C5? He was the guy with the Miami Heat jersey on. I think he went a little overboard on the mods.
I'm sure he spent a big chunk of change.
He won the Mid-America Catalog Customer of the Year Award!

But with all respect due, his 1998 C5 with 50th Anniversary badging was a trip! I'd love to hear the logic behind that. Oh and we can't forget about the DUB fender badges, but the car was sportin chrome Z06 wheels. Oh well. He did walk away with two awards, so I guess misidentified product presentation gets you something!
Old 08-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Racerrandy
Advanced

The dust added a certain "flavor" to the show....along with Paul's new "MO-****" award!

The judging was extremely close.....missed a perfect score by 1 1/2 points and didn't even place. Lot's of beautiful cars and one of the best run Corvette shows in the state.

Glad to meet all of you at the show...look forward to seeing you again soon.

Randy
Old 08-13-2006, 09:10 PM
yelloyello
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7, 9-10 Veteran

Anyone have any idea how much money that guy spent on the Custom C5? He was the guy with the Miami Heat jersey on. I think he went a little overboard on the mods.
I think he spent more for 50th Anniv. badges on his 1998 than I will ever spend on my car. Including gas! I saw him at Autorama and asked about the 50th badges and he told me he just wanted to add more things to his car! How sweet is that. I understand its his car, and he can do what ever he wants to it, but be realistic about it.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:05 PM
ZSpeed
Racer

Was that the red coupe with the verticle doors
Old 08-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Buckeye guy
Pro

Originally Posted by ZSpeed
Was that the red coupe with the verticle doors
Yep it was the red C5 with a bunch of speakers in the trunk and a hatch with some kind of wing on it.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:10 AM
ZSpeed
Racer

Unfortunately, I do remember it Not for me Did he win anything
Old 08-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Buckeye guy
Pro

Originally Posted by ZSpeed
Unfortunately, I do remember it Not for me Did he win anything
Yep he won two awards. I think one was best of show for the C5.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Shows: How Do They Compare???

Old 08-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

And that is why I rarely do shows anymore....

I don't need some guy telling me my car is dirty, I know it is dirty, it got that way by driving the wheels off.

Last year I got talked into a show and shine a week after having the car at the track, the judge wanted to know what all the black stuff was all over my quarter panels.......... "Oh, that is rubber from the dragstrip last weekend. I didn't get a chance to clean it all off yet."

Needles to say, I did not get the $2.00 trophey........
Old 08-15-2006, 12:26 PM
ZSpeed
Racer

Yep he won two awards. I think one was best of show for the C5.
Thats embarrassing:o I'm glad I'm not a judge anymore
Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Racerrandy
Advanced

I think that one of the awards was from the voted-on by the spectators (most apparently love that "bling").

Anyone remember what the other award was for?

Quick Reply: Car Shows: How Do They Compare???