Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Chicagoland - LIFETIME ALIGNMENT?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:22 AM
The Kid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicagoland - LIFETIME ALIGNMENT?!?!?

Welp, after an off track excusrion I need to get the chevy aligned.... again. And during my search I found out that Firestone does Lifetime alignments for 149.00.

Proper alignment makes a ton of difference on the way the car handles. If you are going to take your ride on a road course I would highly reccomend it.

If they do a solid job I will let everyone know, likewise if they blow I will tell you all to steer clear.

Later,

S
Old 08-26-2005, 10:24 AM
The Kid
Racer

As promised here is the follow up:

They did a god job. Took care of the car and had it done in 2 hours.

The bummer is that because I set the car to non-factory alignment specs they said no dice for the lifetime deal. I was kind of bummed but I understand their point completely. If I am going to be changing things every week they cannot cover that.

So I got a one time alignment for roughly $75.00 and called it good.

When, not if, I manage to knock the car out of alignment again I may see if they will do the lifetime alignment on Z06 specs.

Hope this helps someone. I know I had a heck of a time finding someone to do a 4 wheel alignment.

Later,

S.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:57 PM
SpankyC-5
Racer

Originally Posted by The Kid

The bummer is that because I set the car to non-factory alignment specs they said no dice for the lifetime deal. I was kind of bummed but I understand their point completely. If I am going to be changing things every week they cannot cover that.

So I got a one time alignment for roughly $75.00 and called it good.

When, not if, I manage to knock the car out of alignment again I may see if they will do the lifetime alignment on Z06 specs.

Hope this helps someone. I know I had a heck of a time finding someone to do a 4 wheel alignment.

Later,

S.
What kind of alignment did they do? Just a front end? A full 4 wheel alignment for a Corvette takes at least 2.5 hours to do.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:48 PM
The Kid
Racer

Originally Posted by SpankyC-5
What kind of alignment did they do? Just a front end? A full 4 wheel alignment for a Corvette takes at least 2.5 hours to do.

They did all four wheels and gave me a print out of before and after results.

My Left front was really outta wack because I clipped a the curb at turn 11 at Gingerman. I had missed a braking point and ended up with two wheels off.

The right side may not have needed as much work. It was really just my left front that was off.

I dropped the car off at 5:45 and they called at 7:45 and told me the car was done.

I was suprised that it was only 75 dollars for a four wheel alignment. When I called for the estimate they had said it would take 2.5 hours.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

S.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:02 PM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They did all four wheels and gave me a print out of before and after results.

My Left front was really outta wack because I clipped a the curb at turn 11 at Gingerman. I had missed a braking point and ended up with two wheels off.

The right side may not have needed as much work. It was really just my left front that was off.

I dropped the car off at 5:45 and they called at 7:45 and told me the car was done.

I was suprised that it was only 75 dollars for a four wheel alignment. When I called for the estimate they had said it would take 2.5 hours.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

S.

Just curious did you bend something? I'm thinking if you hit something something had to be tweaked to change the alignment.... what numbers were off compared to what they had been set to before the incident?

-=Rick
Old 08-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Nicky71
Drifting

You can't go wrong with Jim Redden at Addison Wheel Alignment. It's a one-man shop that has been in business for ages. Careful craftsman-like work. 630-543-3042
Old 08-29-2005, 08:58 AM
The Kid
Racer

Originally Posted by VetteTech81
Just curious did you bend something? I'm thinking if you hit something something had to be tweaked to change the alignment.... what numbers were off compared to what they had been set to before the incident?

-=Rick
They said I dod not bend anything. I was a little suprised to hear that.

The original spec for the wheel was Camber of -.8 after the wack -.92.

Not a huge change but enough to through the steering wheel off.

S.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:49 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI:

I just had my car aligned by Firestone Lifetime program. They told me that it was way out of spec on their computer for what I wanted. I asked them to use the Z06 specs and viola The Z06 specs are more aggressive and worked with their system. -1 front camber, -.5 rear camber, 1/16" rear toe in, zero front toe, max caster. I like to think of it a "racer's all-you-can-eat buffet." I'll have at least two helpings a year.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:53 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm visiting in the Chicago area now and am considering having an alignment done on my 86 while here.

Can you post the brand alignment machine that Firestone uses.

I'd also like to know what the exact specs are that they use and if they hit the specs "Right On" OR use a tolerance range.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Jake
Old 08-30-2005, 02:15 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JAKE
I'm visiting in the Chicago area now and am considering having an alignment done on my 86 while here.

Can you post the brand alignment machine that Firestone uses.

I'd also like to know what the exact specs are that they use and if they hit the specs "Right On" OR use a tolerance range.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Jake
Jake,

I have no idea what equipment they use. The unit does have programmed specs with ranges that they can work within. That said, I told them what I wanted and they set it just as I requested and I have the printout for ref.

The Z06 alignment ranges are:
Front
Camber -1.2 to -0.2
Caster 6.4 to 7.4
Toe -0.6 to 0.14

Rear
Camber -1.2 to -0.2
Toe -0.11 to 0.09

If you want something outside of that, they would have to use some math to compensate.

Give them a call. I used the Naperville shop.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:03 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IM QUIKR
Jake,

I have no idea what equipment they use. The unit does have programmed specs with ranges that they can work within. That said, I told them what I wanted and they set it just as I requested and I have the printout for ref.

The Z06 alignment ranges are:
Front
Camber -1.2 to -0.2
Caster 6.4 to 7.4
Toe -0.6 to 0.14

Rear
Camber -1.2 to -0.2
Toe -0.11 to 0.09

If you want something outside of that, they would have to use some math to compensate.

Give them a call. I used the Naperville shop.

Thanks for that info.

Earlier this year I played around with different camber settings and I KNOW that negative camber settings make a dramatic difference in the handling of my car.

My car turns like it's on "rails" when the camber is set of slightly NEGATIVE. So based on how the car has been handling with the camber set to negative, I'd gladly trade a little positive caster in order to get negative camber.

I'll take your advice on the phone call, too.

Thanks again.

Jake

Get notified of new replies

To Chicagoland - LIFETIME ALIGNMENT?!?!?

Quick Reply: Chicagoland - LIFETIME ALIGNMENT?!?!?