Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

great news the exhaust bill bit the dust !

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:13 PM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

Default great news the exhaust bill bit the dust !

Illinois Bill to Ban Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Dies for the Year as Legislative Session Adjourns
The SEMA Action Network stalled final action on Illinois legislation (H.B. 2221) that threatened to ban vehicles equipped with a “muffler or exhaust system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle.” The bill had been quickly passed by the House in the final days of the legislative session, before being stopped by the SAN in the Senate. Under the measure, vehicles determined to have been modified by virtue of a “visual observation” would have failed emissions inspection. How emissions inspectors would have determined that an exhaust system increases noise by virtue of a “visual inspection” was not explained in the bill.

H.B. 2221 ignored the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

H.B. 2221 did not supply emissions inspectors with a clear standard to enforce (e.g. decibel limit under a sound test procedure), allowing them to make subjective judgments based on “visual observations” on whether or not a modified exhaust system increases noise.

H.B. 2221 failed to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

H.B. 2221 would have made it impossible for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

On behalf of the SAN, thank you for responding to our call to action and contacting Illinois lawmakers to request opposition to this bill.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Matt383
Drifting

Location: 2003 Points Champ Great Lakes Corvette Challenge; 2006/2007 Winner MSD True Street
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Died a peaceful death, thank you all.

I didn't worry though, because the bill stated to ban "“muffler or exhaust system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle.”

We don't modify to amplify or increase noise. We modified to go faster!

Matt383
Old 06-09-2005, 05:22 PM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

WOOHOO!!!

Let's make sure this doesn't resurface at some point.

Now - let's start working on eliminating front license plates!!
Old 06-09-2005, 07:38 PM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

Originally Posted by TOBASCO
WOOHOO!!!

Brad what do you think it would take to get the licence plate thing started and passed . I think we should make this the chicago crews main objective in life . there are many corvette owners in our state with all the shows we go to and all our gatherings may be a petition could be started just a thought
Old 06-09-2005, 07:58 PM
yankee0304
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by johnnyvettes
Brad what do you think it would take to get the licence plate thing started and passed . I think we should make this the chicago crews main objective in life . there are many corvette owners in our state with all the shows we go to and all our gatherings may be a petition could be started just a thought
Here's to SEMA and all other parties whose efforts kept hot-rodders safe from Uncle Sam's illegal anti-consumer/motorist actions!

Johnny, good idea...I would certainly sign any such petition. It will rid the Vettes of an ugly "feature."
Old 06-09-2005, 09:17 PM
ZOOOM
Pro

OHH RAHH!!!
Power to the people!
Besides I like my Corsa's
Every now and then good wins out...
Makes me proud to be an American... not necessarily an Illinoisian....
Zooom
Old 06-10-2005, 12:47 PM
VPRSNAK
Pro

Originally Posted by TOBASCO
WOOHOO!!!

Old 06-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by yankee0304
Here's to SEMA and all other parties whose efforts kept hot-rodders safe from Uncle Sam's illegal anti-consumer/motorist actions!

Johnny, good idea...I would certainly sign any such petition. It will rid the Vettes of an ugly "feature."
Old 06-11-2005, 02:38 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Everyone,
While I too am pleased that this legislation did not pass in this past session, I think it was only sent back to the Senate Rules committee. While this is often the way legislation dies a slow death, it is by no means assured. Theoretically it could rear its ugly head again, so do not give up contacting your local legislators and giving them an earful!!!

Get notified of new replies

To great news the exhaust bill bit the dust !

Quick Reply: great news the exhaust bill bit the dust !