Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Autobahn North And South Tracks, May 13-15, 2005

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Rene500Z06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autobahn North And South Tracks, May 13-15, 2005

The Great Lakes High Speed Series for Corvettes will be coming to the Autobahn Tracks on May 13, 14, and 15, 2005 for Rounds 2 and 3 of the Series. On Friday, May 13th, we will be on the North track holding a driving school and morning and afternoon test and tunes. On Saturday, May 14th, we will be on the North track holding Time Trials and morning and afternoon test and tunes. On Sunday, May 15th, we will move to the South track for more time trials and morning and afternoon test and tunes. For more information on the Series, event flyer and registration form, go to www.michcorvette.org, or send me an e-mail, and I will answer any questions. Event is open to all street Corvettes and race Corvettes. Event is open to all other street or race sports cars. Registrations have been coming in, seems every one wants a piece of the new tracks, don't be left out, register early and save some $$$.

Rene
Old 04-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

RENEE,

I plan on going to this event and will be contacting you ASAP!!! Just put on new brake rotors ($25 a piece from NAPA) after my little jaunt at ROAD AMERICA this Past Saturday and just changed my tranny fluid in my Z06 out to a full syn. red line fluid and I GOT THE ROAD RACE BUG now for sure and want to give my BABY the best protection that $ can buy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 04-19-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Rene500Z06
Advanced

MTI 427 Roadster,

I hear you! I use the same rotors. Several years ago I went to one of the Open Track Challenges out west. 7 tracks in 7 days. Awesome event. I took a set of cryoed rotors that cost around $400 and two sets of the NAPA rotors. We cracked all 4 cryoed rotors halfway through the third day. Put the cheapie NAPA rotors on, and we cracked all 4 rotors by the end of the fifth day. We finished the last two days on the second set of cheapie NAPA rotors. Braking performance was still the same. Most of the Corvette crowd that was at Gingerman this past weekend is coming to the Autobahn weekend. Add that fun bunch to the Cleveland Corvette crowd, the Chicago Corvette crew and the St. Louis Corvette gang and you are in for one hell of a fun weekend on two different tracks. If you need flyer info, let me know.

Rene
Old 04-19-2005, 10:44 PM
yankee0304
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by MTI 427 Roadster
RENEE,

I plan on going to this event and will be contacting you ASAP!!! Just put on new brake rotors ($25 a piece from NAPA) after my little jaunt at ROAD AMERICA this Past Saturday and just changed my tranny fluid in my Z06 out to a full syn. red line fluid and I GOT THE ROAD RACE BUG now for sure and want to give my BABY the best protection that $ can buy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmm...Seems like I will be meeting several CF members there this year. I'll update this post if I get hours for that weekend-I work at the Autobahn as an EMT-B- (which I probably will) and if I do, as it would be nice to meet some of you guys. My lunch break should line up with the drivers, so if any of you want to to do lunch, let me know.

Brendan
Old 04-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Rene500Z06
Advanced

Brendan,

We also provide a complimentary barbeque on Friday and Saturday afternoons after the last test and tune. Great opportunity to meet everyone. EMT personnel are always invited. Looking forward to meeting you there.

Rene
Old 04-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rene500Z06
The Great Lakes High Speed Series for Corvettes will be coming to the Autobahn Tracks on May 13, 14, and 15, 2005 for Rounds 2 and 3 of the Series. On Friday, May 13th, we will be on the North track holding a driving school and morning and afternoon test and tunes. On Saturday, May 14th, we will be on the North track holding Time Trials and morning and afternoon test and tunes. On Sunday, May 15th, we will move to the South track for more time trials and morning and afternoon test and tunes. For more information on the Series, event flyer and registration form, go to www.michcorvette.org, or send me an e-mail, and I will answer any questions. Event is open to all street Corvettes and race Corvettes. Event is open to all other street or race sports cars. Registrations have been coming in, seems every one wants a piece of the new tracks, don't be left out, register early and save some $$$.

Rene
Apparently I am not in the "know" on this one. Where is the Autobahn track? Info?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:58 AM
MightyZR-1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Irish Whiskey
Apparently I am not in the "know" on this one. Where is the Autobahn track? Info?
Irish, start at the web site listed by Rene, www.michcorvette.org scroll down and click on Flyers on the left side, click on the date you are looking for and a pdf will pop up.

Also for the track itself www.autobahncountryclub.net

Last edited by MightyZR-1; 04-20-2005 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:55 AM
yankee0304
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Rene500Z06
Brendan,

We also provide a complimentary barbeque on Friday and Saturday afternoons after the last test and tune. Great opportunity to meet everyone. EMT personnel are always invited. Looking forward to meeting you there.

Rene
Thanks for the invite Rene...I am looking forward to being there.

Originally Posted by MightyZR-1
Irish, start at the web site listed by Rene, www.michcorvette.org scroll down and click on Flyers on the left side, click on the date you are looking for and a pdf will pop up.

Also for the track itself www.autobahncountryclub.net
Also, www.drivefastbesafe.com is also another link for the Autobahn.

Brendan

Last edited by yankee0304; 04-21-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:22 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

I am all over this event and plan on going on both sat and sunday and will be registering in the immediate future. Thanks for all your help RENNEE and JIM who emailed registration papers today!!
Old 04-24-2005, 09:06 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MTI 427 Roadster
RENEE,

you should consider a Lingenfelter oil cooler as well as the GM trans fluid cooler. Syn fluids are fine but its the internal components that need to the "cooling" more than the fluids themselves. I have the 160º thermostats with both oil and trans fluid cooler in both of my Z06s as well as Red Line Syn Power Steering Fluid. During both Road America events (NASA & MFBA), my oil temp rarely hit over 230º. The trans fluid cooler pump did kick in during each session.

Last edited by rudyarias; 04-24-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

My registration for both saturday and sunday is being sent in right now as I type!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:36 PM
yankee0304
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by yankee0304
Hmmmmmm...Seems like I will be meeting several CF members there this year. I'll update this post if I get hours for that weekend-I work at the Autobahn as an EMT-B- (which I probably will) and if I do, as it would be nice to meet some of you guys. My lunch break should line up with the drivers, so if any of you want to to do lunch, let me know.

Brendan

As promised, I have officially updated that post. I will be at the Autobahn Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of that weekend. Unfortunately, I will be working corners that weekend per job assignment change issued to me by the asst. track manager. This does not mean I have lost EMT-B status, but rather they have more experienced EMT-Basics and EMT-Paramedics on the track emergency response vehicles.

With that out of the way, it looks as if it will turn out to be a very good turn out (and weekend).

Brendan
Old 04-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by rudyarias
you should consider a Lingenfelter oil cooler as well as the GM trans fluid cooler. Syn fluids are fine but its the internal components that need to the "cooling" more than the fluids themselves. I have the 160º thermostats with both oil and trans fluid cooler in both of my Z06s as well as Red Line Syn Power Steering Fluid. During both Road America events (NASA & MFBA), my oil temp rarely hit over 230º. The trans fluid cooler pump did kick in during each session.

Thanks for your advice but my my coolant temps run nice and COOL with 160 thermostat and the fans kicking on early (never got over 185 at Road America )and i feel more than comfortable for my MObile one full syn. 10W/30 (previous owner went with this for added protection and i have stuck with it) with oil temps which never went above 254 at ROAD AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't believe it is necessary to spend additional $ for an already expensive hobby if i really don't need it. Now if i was road racing 20 times a year and racing competively which i am not, then i would probably upgrade per your suggestion!!! Thanks for your insightful advice!!!

YANKEE, really looking forward to this event and really hope the weather cooperates. I'll be keeping an eye out for you to say hello!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:19 AM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

What are the high speed events compared to the test and tunes?

How much track time are we looking at on the various days?

Do I need to do the driver's school to participate in the test and tune?

On average, how many cars will be on the track at once?

My only frame of referance is HPDE days at Gingerman with SpeedTrials, so how would this compare?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

SIMON,

Shoot Renee the originator of this thread an IM with your phone numbers and he will be more than glad to answer your questions as he did for me. I am signed up for sat. and sunday and am PUMPED UP and praying for GOOD WEATHER and a nice safe outing!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 08:47 AM
MightyZR-1
Instructor

Originally Posted by SimonStern

My only frame of referance is HPDE days at Gingerman with SpeedTrials, so how would this compare?
SimonStern, Rene runs a great event with lots of great car guys at the event. If possible do not miss it. You will learn a lot and be the highlight of your summer. Ask Rene all your questions, sign up and have a great time. It is the best way to learn fast driving.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Kschwamy
Drifting

Originally Posted by SimonStern

I agree that Rene can answer these questions but in his absence I will answer some of them for you.

Our high speed event is like a speed trail at HPDE without other cars in your way. There could be two or three cars on the track at once but spaced out so you don't have to worry about anyone else.

You do not have to participate in the driver school to get a high speed license depending upon your previous experience. If you have completed 10 auto x's, completed a drivers schools, done numerous HPDE's or track events then you are probably ok. Rene will discuss with you your background and let you know if you need to attend the driver school.

The test and tunes are open track time to learn the line and work on the setup of your car. It is like the HPDE's. The high speed is 4 events with 2 runs per event.

Hopefully this helps alittle. I would PM Rene with your phone number as Might ZR1 recommended and he will give you a call and answer all your questions.

Hope to see ya there.

Get notified of new replies

To Autobahn North And South Tracks, May 13-15, 2005

Old 04-28-2005, 09:10 PM
JimBacus
Got LAPS?
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Kschwamy
I agree that Rene can answer these questions but in his absence I will answer some of them for you.
Hope to see ya there.
Actually, when you answer in public you are probably answering some of the questions for some of us that have been meaning to ask. I have been so busy at work I haven't been able to keep up with the forum.

I have some of the same questions as SimonStern, and I am very very interested in attending if possible.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Rene500Z06
Advanced

SimonStern and JimBacus,

Kschwamy explained it right on the money, thanks Kscwamy and MightyZR-1.

Over the period of three days, you should be able to get in at least 100 laps out on the tracks, if not more. If you take the North track Friday school, you will be doing on track sessions from 10:30AM-2:30PM, followed by the afternoon test and tune from 2:30PM-until track closes. North track on Saturday will be a morning test and tune practice from 8:30AM-10:30AM, followed by 4 high speed events and as soon as those are over, the afternoon test and tune will follow until track closes. Sunday, we'll repeat the same format as Saturday, but we will be on the South track. The test and tunes are open for you to go in and out as you please. There should be an average of 10 cars on the track at any one time. Passing only on designated straightaways, left side only and with a point-by.
The Friday Driving School is one not to miss. Our chief driving instructors will include Danny Kellermeyer, professional road racer and co-founder of Touring Challenge for Corvettes (TCC), and Lawrence Mansier, NASA director for the Ohio/Indiana Region and the newly formed MidWest Region. We are bringing Corvette drivers the opportunity to learn driving skills from an incredible amount of driver and instructor talent and experience.
Hope to see you guys there, let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Rene
Old 04-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Great info Rene and thanks for your promt reply to my IM questions.

Jim Bacus, you gotta make this event brother as it is going to be a blast and the best way to check out both new joliet tracks early in the season. Also, many of the chicago crew guys seem RELUCANT to take their babies out on a road race track (maybe they think its to much abuse on their cars but of course that's their perogatives) and it would be GREAT to see a very familiar faces here, especially those driving EBlue Z06s!!!!!

Also, once you hear how bad azz my car sounds under hight rpms with the full KOOKS HEADER system and B&B BULLETS, i can assure you that you will be ready to place your order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Autobahn North And South Tracks, May 13-15, 2005