Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Painting 67 metal knobs

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 09:51 AM
ESR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting 67 metal *****

Under the premise that the only dumb question is the question that is not asked......

I am re-painting the black ***** on the inside of my 67 (radio and vent *****). I have taken paint thinner and removed the original worn black paint, and am using a black lacquer spray paint to re-paint the *****.

The problem is that the paint is only adhering to some of the **** surface but not all of the surface? Why? did I leave a residual amount of paint thinner on the surface? Do I need to prep the **** beyond just repainting?

Thanks for the assistance....
Eric
Old 11-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Yellow6t7
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ESR
Under the premise that the only dumb question is the question that is not asked......

I am re-painting the black ***** on the inside of my 67 (radio and vent *****). I have taken paint thinner and removed the original worn black paint, and am using a black lacquer spray paint to re-paint the *****.

The problem is that the paint is only adhering to some of the **** surface but not all of the surface? Why? did I leave a residual amount of paint thinner on the surface? Do I need to prep the **** beyond just repainting?

Thanks for the assistance....
Eric
Eric,
Go to your local automotive paint supplier and they will sell you a pre-adheavsive(spl?) spray. The product was made to get paint adhere to plastic. The stuff works great!
Old 11-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Ron D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used a product from SEM called Sand-Free that worked well on plastic and vinyl as well.. make sure your nice and sqeeky clean first though especially in the groves on the outside rim.. tooth brush..lil vinegar and water.. dry it really well.. I always had my heat gun in one hand when I was painting or dying anything.. makes paint and dye tack up just a little quicker.. your not hitting it with the full heat.. just enough to get a skim coat and then let it sit

Get notified of new replies

To Painting 67 metal knobs

Quick Reply: Painting 67 metal knobs