Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

I want to drop a LT5 engine into a 1989 convertible…

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default I want to drop a LT5 engine into a 1989 convertible…

Looking for any GM literature or documentation on the ’89 ZR-1. But in particular:

The factory used a “Product Assembly Document” PAD book showing what the unique parts to a ZR-1’s were and where they went when they were building the prototypes back in ’88 – ’89 on the Bowling Green factory floor. Anyone have a copy?

The parts group of GM issued ’89 part numbers, I think they were issued in the form of a supplement to the September 88 edition of “Parts and Illustration Catalog.” Anyone have a copy?

Anything else out there?

I would be happy to pay any copy costs.

Thanks in advance to all.

George
Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

bump
Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettes White
Looking for any GM literature or documentation on the ’89 ZR-1. But in particular:

The factory used a “Product Assembly Document” PAD book showing what the unique parts to a ZR-1’s were and where they went when they were building the prototypes back in ’88 – ’89 on the Bowling Green factory floor. Anyone have a copy? ... ... George
I have not seen any commercially available "PAD" for C4's - I'm sure they exist.

The ZR-1's were originally expected to be a 1989 year car and as such the GM Heritage Center document for that year has some information. PDF is available free at:

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-h...tion-kits.html

Click on the link above,

Scroll down the page to the Chevrolet section and find "Corvette",

Click on "Show" next to Corvette and the page opens up with currently available (1953-2006) archive packages,

Find the year you are interested in - in your case "1989 Chevrolet Corvette" - and click on that year,

Agree to the usage License Agreement that pops up and a "Vehicle Information Kit" PDF document will download.

Save the document off to your computer for later reference.

This PDF contains the information GM sent their dealers about the car, Engineering notes, and the Motor Vehicle Manufacturer Association specifications about what was EXPECTED that model year. (The MVMA specifications were done in advance of actually building the car, so there are often disconnects between what was PLANNED and what was DONE.)

Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To I want to drop a LT5 engine into a 1989 convertible…

Quick Reply: I want to drop a LT5 engine into a 1989 convertible…