Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Will the SUV's and trucks of today ever be as collectable as our beloved '50's -'60's classics?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 06:08 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Will the SUV's and trucks of today ever be as collectable as our beloved '50's -'60's classics?

I recently ready an article in Car & Driver written by a postman who comments on how many '50's and '60's classics are owned by people on his route. Most of the cars he mentions are well past their heyday (as in completely neglected), but the common thread between all of their owners is that someday they would like to restore this vehicle or have it restored because it (or a model like it) has/had some sentimental value.

I was too young to have had the priveledge of being able to walk in a dealer's showroom and buy a 1st gen Z-28, BOSS 302 or Hemi 'Cuda brand new, but as a kid, I would see these cars everywhere and think they were really cool (especially if I was lucky enough to see a couple of them playing at a stoplight). I knew someday I would own at least one (one way or another). As an adult, my hobby is restoring these kinds of cars--I guess in some way to make up for my being born just a little too late.

I see history repeating itself in a way. The demise of the muscle car was due in a large part to the hike in fuel prices, the hike in insurance premiums, and the political incorrectness of driving "a gas guzzler" that was brought on by the environmental extremists. I foresee the demise of the SUV and truck craze that is happening in the same way.

...So, my question is: Will the SUV's and trucks of today be coveted collector's items 30+ years in the future the same way as our beloved Corvette's and muscle cars are today? Also, what models do you think WILL be prized as collector's items if your answer is not SUV's or trucks?
Old 05-29-2003, 07:02 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will the SUV's and trucks of today ever be as collectable as our beloved '50's -'60's classics?

I see history repeating itself in a way. The demise of the muscle car was due in a large part to the hike in fuel prices, the hike in insurance premiums, and the political incorrectness of driving "a gas guzzler" that was brought on by the environmental extremists. I foresee the demise of the SUV and truck craze that is happening in the same way.
I don't see it this way. Fuel as a percentage of your take-home pay is much less than it was in the 70's when the extreme price hikes occured. There may be an insurance premium impact, but I think it's marginal compared to getting NO insurance in the late 60's and early 70's. The PC move against the "gas guzzler" will not be successful - in my opinion. There's already and anti-PC move afoot.

I think we're in a new "golden age" of the automobile. You can buy state-of-the-art technology, and it keeps getting better year after year. Compare a 1970 LT1 Corvette to a 1995 LT1 Corvette (with a 6-speed). You have comparable performance, better gas mileage, creature comforts, and way more safety in the 1995 car than the 1970 car. The improvements since will devalue the current crop of used cars. I think 1994-1996 Corvettes are a tremendous value right now - I see cars around $15k and these things should go easily to 150k miles without too much trouble.

I think the only thing that will stop this trend is some fundamental shift in how our cars are fueled. Once fuel cells become affordable, then they have to become sporty. This will take some time. Either that, or we'll run out of liquid dinasours to put in our tanks to drive our current cars - but the "experts" have been predicting that for the last 30 years, and we seem to have plenty of reserves - more now than ever.

Sometimes I think the earth makes oil - it's funny to look in my old 1972 encyclopedia and see the predictions of us running out of oil by 1992. Ha! Long live the dead dinosaurs! Or something like that.

But it's a good question - what will the classics be? I think it will be the same formula - low production numbers, high performance, desirable options.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:38 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Re: Will the SUV's and trucks of todays -'60's classics? (mayberg)

They produced way too many of them so I feel that they will not be collectable.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:35 PM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Will the SUV's and trucks of todays -'60's classics? (SBR)

Besides the quantity produced, the electronics will be very costly to restore. What kind of ricer or similar GM, Ford,Etc. would you want to restore? What has timeless good looks or special performance. I can't think of much, Maybe Impala SS, 454 SS pick-up, Viper. I can't come up with much of a list. :nonod:
Old 05-30-2003, 04:24 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Will the SUV's and trucks of todays -'60's classics? (vettes1st)

There will always be people that restore stuff. go to any local car show and look at the diversity of the cars and trucks. I even had a guy admire my 93 crew-cab dually the other day. To me it's a great truck, and I use it to pull my 5th wheel RV. But to this guy, that had his totaled, he thought it was really nice, and he was almost hinting at wanting it to fix up a couple of little things. I could just see him showing up to the car shows with it in another 10 years.

Don't rule out the ordinary mass produced cars of today as never being desirable as collectors. in 20 or 30 years there won't be very many left. and with the amount of parts on the shelves now. you will always be able to find NOS parts.

It would be a lousy investment. But you could buy a brand new anything today, store it in a climate controlled room for 30 years and you will have a classic. yes even a yugo....
Old 05-30-2003, 09:50 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

...So, my question is: Will the SUV's and trucks of today be coveted collector's items 30+ years in the future the same way as our beloved Corvette's and muscle cars are today? Also, what models do you think WILL be prized as collector's items if your answer is not SUV's or trucks?
I seriously doubt it.........too many of them and really nothing very special about any of them.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:39 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Will the SUV's s -'60's classics? (gq82)

I think it is a mind set. The SUV bunch are not into cars like we were. People that drove rambler wagons in the sixties are not restoring them. These utility vehicles are just status symbols to some people. They are an (expensive) appliance for others. I really don't see them as ever being collectable. You could compare these to the big luxury station wagons of yesteryear. Nobody wants 'em.. Especially old worn out ones. Anyone looking for a nice mint Vista Cruiser ?? Only 36k mile. A steal for $25,000.. Not me. :jester

[Modified by bluevetteman, 1:04 PM 5/31/2003]
Old 06-02-2003, 08:07 AM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Will the SUV's s -'60's classics? (bluevetteman)

Actually wagons are the in-thing with the cruise-in set. The bigger and uglier the better! :crazy:
Old 06-02-2003, 11:31 AM
Solid327
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will the SUV's and trucks of today be as collectable as our beloved '50's -'60's classics?

Probably not the right forum for this thread (maybe Off topic-Other cars?) but I'm going to toss in my response anyway.

Very few SUV's will be collectable IMO. A couple that come to mind, Cyclones and Typhoons have the right ingredients, few produced, lots of power, unique drivetrains, decent looking. Seventies era Blazers and Jimmy's also have the right looks and with crate motors along with other modern updates you can build a righteous ride that can go off the road. Some Jeep models qualify too.

A bright yellow Vista Cruiser with a built 455, beefed up Turbo-hydromatic 400 and overdrive, nice paint, a white leather interior over the original seats, lowered and with a few good suspension mods along with some 17" tires and wheels would be very cool! :D
Old 06-02-2003, 02:25 PM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Will the SUV's and trucks of today be as collectable as our beloved '50's -'60's classics?

NO
Old 06-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Will the SUV's and trucks of today be as collectable as our beloved '50's -'60's classics?

Not in the sense that we think of vettes, mustangs, etc. As mentioned, nothing special and too many. Add a lack of nostalgia (I do not think they will be as desired - most of use grew up dreaming of owning a vette, etc. Today's youth pretty much gets what they want at an earlier age - no long term wanting driving the decision to purchase.)

I think today's SUVs will be collected more to modify and customize. Most 'kids' are into the sport compact now. That may turn to the 'Sport SUV' as they get older.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Dave McDufford
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Will the SUV's and trucks of today be as collectable as our beloved '50's -'60's classics?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not in the sense that we think of vettes, mustangs, etc. As mentioned, nothing special and too many. Add a lack of nostalgia (I do not think they will be as desired - most of use grew up dreaming of owning a vette, etc. Today's youth pretty much gets what they want at an earlier age - no long term wanting driving the decision to purchase.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:iagree:

When I was young (long time ago), if a vette or hemi or hot mustang or Z-28 drove down the street my buddies and I would notice and look and drool. We wanted one. That is why I have one now. I do not see this type of feeling for the SUV's etc.

Dave

:cheers:
Old 07-08-2003, 09:40 PM
no_radio
Drifting

I doubt that many of the late model cars will be popular...much harder to restore with all the complex electronic and safety systems. BUT, compare a model T with a '74 Corvette and similar arguments could be made, I suppose.
Now, what I do like is my '76 Suburban. 454, auto, dual AC, but without power windows or locks. Easy to maintain and repair, nearly every repair or adjustment can be made at home, and it's fun to drive. yes, the mileage sucks but it's comparable (if not better than) my neighbor' s 3/4 ton 454 '98 Suburban. And it's been paid for a LONG time now.
I plan to "restify" it and drive it for many years.
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Will the SUV's and trucks of today ever be as collectable as our beloved '50's -'60's classics?

Quick Reply: Will the SUV's and trucks of today ever be as collectable as our beloved '50's -'60's classics?