Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Does adding A/C to my 71 effect NCRS judging negatively?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 06:41 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does adding A/C to my 71 effect NCRS judging negatively?

Hi, Can any NCRS experts answer these questions as I don't know what to do?! I own a 71, 454, 4speed that got a Top Flight Award in 1998 and has been improved since. Living in NC is really hot and this car does not have A/C. By adding a modern aftermarket a/C and a larger than stock radiator does that knock the car out of a Top Flight Award assuming everything else was correct?
Would adding A/C reduce the car's value? Opinions? Thanks, Fred
:confused: :D :cheers:
Old 05-14-2003, 07:17 PM
Cholo
Pro

Default Re: Does adding A/C to my 71 effect NCRS judging negatively? (fredfryguy)

Double edged sword Fred!

NEGATIVE for Flight judging ALL DAY LONG! That's for a modern system with say a SANDEN Compressor ,etc.

Finding all the stuff that MANY guys seem to be yanking out of MANY of the old C3's should not be too bad and end up with a factory looking set up by almost ANY judging standard.

"Actual Value"?

Negative for some and HI FIVES from others. A/C for driven cars in probably the majority of this AMerica would be a plus, especially if a TOP FLIGHT car was the point of origin.

Putting the original system back in would be a JOB and a half,yes?
But a real PLUS for value.

Plus you have the whole BRASS expansion tank and bracket issue if TOP FLIGHT appearance were to be maintained.

NCRS Top Flight car is hard to beat in real value terms.
It is ONE INSPECTED Machine,after all.

But Hey....You got NOT ORIGINAL SIDEPIPES ALREADY! :D

THey look great those '69's on there ,Bud!

Good hunting and Enjoy.

Regards.....Cholo

[Modified by Cholo, 6:18 PM 5/14/2003]
Old 05-14-2003, 08:26 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Does adding A/C to my 71 effect NCRS judging negatively? (fredfryguy)

Depends on who's buying the car (your selling it right?). As a driver it certainly would be a plus. As an NCRS car you would lose points and value if you lost your top flight status. However it could still be a top flight car depending on how close you were to 94%.
The best of both worlds would be to add an orginal system but I'm sure not a cost effective one.
If it were me I'd leave it alone.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:09 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Does adding A/C to my 71 effect NCRS judging negatively? (gq82)

If an aftermarket A/C system were added such that it could be removed and no evidence shows that it ever was there, then consider proceeding with your plans. By retaining the parts removed - if any - then the next owner can easily put the car back to no-A/C status.

You might consider digging out the score sheets and compare the areas where an aftermarket A/C system would impact the scores - compressor, belts, condensor, hoses, interior control unit, etc. If you score high enough to earn a Top Flight with the deducts associated with the presence of these items, then you're still Top Flight.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Default Re: Does adding A/C to my 71 effect NCRS judging negatively? (mayberg)

From a judging perspective, an aftermarket A/C system would definitely knock you out of the park for Top Flight, as so many areas and so many individual judged components (or lack thereof) are affected. Tough decision to make - be more comfortable, or negatively impact the value of the car (to a purist buyer) and take a big hit in judging. Might not matter much to a buyer who isn't concerned about originality, but an unmolested Top Flight car will always be worth more to a buyer interested in originality; just depends what you want from the car. :thumbs:
Old 05-15-2003, 01:42 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Does adding A/C to my 71 effect NCRS judging negatively?

I would say go for it, but in a way so that it could be removed. No cutting or chopping. That way it could be put back original if need be. Since you have added a non-original exhaust, don't see why you could not add A/C. :)

tom...
Old 05-15-2003, 05:44 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If you are going to modify the car, why concern yourself with the status of a 5 year old (out-of-date) top flight certificate? With the sidepipes and 'modern' tires, you may already have gone over the edge. I don't think you can have things both ways.
:cheers:
Old 05-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Does adding A/C to my 71 effect NCRS judging negatively? (Mike Ward)

If memory serves, the car received its Top Flight status (please correct me if I am wrong Fred = quote from an earlier post asking for value info - "Yes it loses points for the rack and side pipes but it still got a Top Flight in 1998! I LOVE IT!" - believe the score was 94%)

If that's the case, this is a very clean original. Modifications to the car in the way of tires are easy to return to stock. Adding and removing an aftermarket AC system, on the other hand, probably will cost a prety penny to do right, or will create an situation where the car cannot be returned to stock.

Either way, the car is yours Fred, and your call. While I am not a purist, I think it is a shame to take THIS and modify it to the extent you are talking.
It makes sense, to sell this one and find a NOM equvialent with AC already.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:44 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Re: Does adding A/C to my 71 effect NCRS judging negatively? (Robert N)

If memory serves, the car received its Top Flight status (please correct me if I am wrong Fred = quote from an earlier post asking for value info - "Yes it loses points for the rack and side pipes but it still got a Top Flight in 1998! I LOVE IT!" - believe the score was 94%)

If that's the case, this is a very clean original. Modifications to the car in the way of tires are easy to return to stock. Adding and removing an aftermarket AC system, on the other hand, probably will cost a prety penny to do right, or will create an situation where the car cannot be returned to stock.

Either way, the car is yours Fred, and your call. While I am not a purist, I think it is a shame to take THIS and modify it to the extent you are talking.
It makes sense, to sell this one and find a NOM equvialent with AC already.
:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Does adding A/C to my 71 effect NCRS judging negatively?

Quick Reply: Does adding A/C to my 71 effect NCRS judging negatively?