Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Instant Message problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 03:10 AM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Instant Message problems

I was just modifying my sig and bio and I decided to check my IM history. I discovered I have five messages logged, none of which I've seen on my computer at home.

This may be because I've disabled 'scripting' which helps speed things up as the Macintosh problems have not yet been resolved. Downloading with scripting active take 5 minutes or more. Yes, Mac has a Mac, not a Tandy 1000.

For those who wrote to me, I will reply once I get to another computer or resolve this problem. Sorry for the delay.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:52 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Instant Message problems (Mac)

I got your reply. Thanks
Old 02-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Instant Message problems (silvervetteman)

Thanks for letting me know.

I enabled 'scripting' after I created this thread, waited the five minutes it took to load and then replied to all outstanding IMs. I don't know if I missed any from the few weeks before because I hadn't checked IM History recently.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:41 PM

Hey Mac, I've been reading posts for the last year from guys ribbing you regarding your Computer. From what I make of it, you own a Radio Shack Tandy or a Macintosh PC? What kind of inherent problems are you having with your PC? Can you give us the story?

I have never owned a PC that wasn't Internet Explorer compatible and I'm just wondering why you put up with all the hassle of the PC you have, if any. Not trying to be a wise guy, just curious. :cheers:
Old 02-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Instant Message problems (FXT)

My first computer, back in the 80s, was a Tandy 1000 and it's been a running joke every since. The only thing it was good for was playing games and it wasn't even really good at that when compared with today's computers.

I have an older Macintosh computer but I use Internet Explorer (version 5.2) so my browser looks pretty much the same as yours.

Macintosh computers and operating systems are more stable and user friendly than PC based computers and Microsoft Windows operating systems. Windows has tried to years to emulate the best features of Mac's OS but still hasn't caught up. Most of the features you enjoy with your new computer (drag & drop of icons, desktop launching, even the Windows environment itself) were developed by Mac years before Bill Gates 'discovered' them. In comparisions between Macs and PCs, Macs have always scored higher in all profiles. Do a search sometime and see how many viruses affect Mac computers- there aren't many because the Mac OS is almost bulletproof. Simply put, Macs were always better computers.

Mac graphics are still the leader of the class by a long stretch. The film industry and television shows featuring computer animated cartoons are done exclusively on Mac systems. The majority of the biggest servers supporting the Internet are Mac based.

The problem was that for years, Mac didn't pursue marketshare. They focused on all efforts on commercial applications to the exclusion of personal users. They didn't actively encourage software developers (except for educational and research software) and their prices were consistently higher than PCs. Strangely enough, the home computer market went to someone else. Go figure!!

About 5 years ago, facing a major cash crunch, they woke up and smelled the coffee. They quickly developed a new kind of computer which they called the iMac. The concept was simple- instead of having a box, a screen and a keyboard, they put everything together. The motherboard, hard drive, everything normally inside the box was tucked inside the monitor's case and the keyboard 'clipped' to the front. No knots of cables to contend with; everything was integrated. All you had to do was plug it in and go. Then, to put it over the top, they made the case of clear but colour tinted plastic (available in a variety of colours) so you could see the guts of the computer. It was a resounding success and put Mac back on the map. The iMac series has developed since then so it now uses a flat screen and no longer even looks like a monitor.

Since then, Mac has developed a series of commercially successful products, including iPod (which has overtaken MP3 players as the software music medium of choice) and a series of ultra-slim laptop computers. Recently, Mac launched a new browser called Safari, designed to replace Internet Explorer as the browser of choice for Mac users.

Unfortunately, my old Mac isn't able to keep up with the software that the newer Macs use. It only runs at 200 mhz and the newest ones run at 1 ghz. I've pushed the maximum amount of RAM I could into it and added USB compatibility a couple years ago. I'm going to have to break down and invest in new hardware at some point. I've had this computer since 1997 and it has never required service. I guess it really doesn't owe me much.

So why do I put up with a Mac? It's a better computer.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:55 AM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mac-

Internet Explorer 5.2 is only recommended if you are running system 9.2 or higher. If you're not on 9.2 or X, you might want to try IE 5.1 which might speed things up. Just a thought.

- Mike Greene
Old 02-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Instant Message problems (58Mike)

I was not aware of that, Mike. Thanks for the info!!

I'm running OS 9.1 with IE 5.2 and the only website which loads slowly is, of course, my favorite one- the Corvette Forum. I upgraded from IE 4.6 directly to IE 5.2, so I'll have to see if I can download IE 5.1.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:40 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Mac-

I think this is the page you want for the free download. It says IE 5.2.2 is only for System X, so I'm surprised it's working at all for you. I'm using IE 5.1.6 for CF with System 9.0. Not great, but way better than Netscape 6 was.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...asp&contonly=1
Old 02-10-2003, 07:57 PM

Mac, while we're on the subject of computers, look what happened to the "Dell Dude" on TV! :nopity
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/02/10/de...est/index.html
Old 02-10-2003, 08:33 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Instant Message problems (FXT)

Mac, while we're on the subject of computers, look what happened to the "Dell Dude" on TV! :nopity
So here we have a guy who hit the "big kahouna"........got his dial all over the tube......made lotsa bucks shilling for Dell........and what does he do? :rolleyes:

Gimme a break like that......at that same age......ah hell, I'd still be posting here. :D
Old 02-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Instant Message problems (58Mike)

Oops! I checked my IE version and I am using 5.1.6 so I guess it doesn't get any better with this computer.

I think I'm gonna save my pennies for a while and grab an iMac. It would be nice to be able to burn CDs to store some of these photofiles since I got a digital camera.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:21 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Supposedly, the main differences in Systems 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 are improved internet abilities. I'm running 9.0 on this computer, but I have 9.2 and System X on another computer, with the system disks. At some point, I'll load those systems onto this computer and see if there's any improvement. Maybe at 9.2, Corvette Forum magically speeds up? I'll let you know.

Mike Greene

Get notified of new replies

To Instant Message problems

Quick Reply: Instant Message problems