Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Did anyone ever see "Jungle Jim" Liberman race on the East Coast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Commodore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. I used to see him back in the mid sixties at NY National during AHRA meets and at English Town for NHRA meets.
Jim had a great sense of humor and absolutely no fear of anything that burned fuel. Neat guy! I even towed his old Vega Funny back to the pits one Sunday with my tow car while we were racing at NY Nat'l (no funny cars for me - I used to run Super Stocks). Jim's recovery vehicle decided it didn't want to start that afternoon so I gave him my tow car to use until he had time to fix his recovery vehicle (I was pitted very close to his spot that day).
Jim always went out of his way to say hi to me every time we ended up at the same track. Nothing unusual there, as he always had time for his fans. We didn't have pre Madonna race drivers back then, but we sure had fun guys that liked to go real fast!.
RB
Old 05-12-2013, 05:48 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... Everyone's eyes were on Pam ..... .....
Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 AM
looseal32
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew both him and Pam, raced against him and built two chassis' for him. Fun guy and a hard racer. Gone way too soon.

Jay Howell
Old 06-16-2013, 08:47 PM
agp45
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ;5252050
I've done some reading up on this drag racing icon and never knew how immensely popular he was in the 60's and 70's. He literally provided all the entertainment of a traveling circus, whether running his car or talking to his fans. I didn't realize he was originally from Pennsylvania, and drove a Yellow Corvette. Did anyone here know him or meet him personally? Here is a good article that outlines his life pretty well.
http://www.nhra.com/50th/top50/J_Liberman17.html

Yeah I saw him at Spartanburg SC drag way racing match races. He did a huge burn out at a gas station where my brother worked before the race. From what I remember he was definitely a character. I have a program that he signed some where! Thanks for bringing back the memories,
Agp
Old 12-19-2020, 10:53 AM
johnnyb26
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Saw both him and Pam many times at New England Dragway in Epping NH always was great to see him race !
Old 03-27-2021, 09:07 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Childhood flashback.

Quick Reply: Did anyone ever see "Jungle Jim" Liberman race on the East Coast?